• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What direction should I go?

Re:

My first Cherokee started ripping apart like that.....I chased all the splits around every other month....finally ditched it and transferred axles over to 800$ Craigslist Cherokee....built it up more with an exo.....sold/traded off for 1 ton rig with frame. Happy ever since.

94xjsport94 said:
I guess I'm left with a YJ buggy or full tube. Fawk. I was going to start this at the end of the year because I hate working in the heat. Guess I'll be fixing this **** pile next week and then starting on a chassis or keeping an eye out for one. I'm just tired of having worn out ****.

I have a YJ that I backhalved but kept the full tub so I could keep my back seat for the kiddos. Its not front halved, but does have TBI 5.7 in it. It's on tons and the driveline is th350 and 203/205 doubler, 3 link front and 4 rear, full hydro, coils in front and 2.5 airs in rear.
If I had to do it over again, with all the problems I have chased for the past 2 years fixing and redoing someone else's stuff (and some of my own) I would definitely go tube chassis and be done.
I say fix what ya got, get a tube chassis built to your specs, transfer driveline and rock out!

Will I saw you eyeing my badlands single seater chassis the other weekend. It could be yours. On the same note just fix yours and keeping wheeling it. It works good and Nelson would be heart broken if you get rid of it.

You could always stay somewhere in the middle. I started with an 85 XJ plated the front back to the coil spring buckets, installed box tube rockers and then boatsided down and welded to the plated unibody rails. Tied my 3 link cross member into those then did a little tube bending to tie it all together. Been wheeling with 1 ton guys for the last year and a half and am amazed at how well it goes, might be something to consider.

IMG_20160319_111439626_zpsz7xf5ak5.jpg

2_zpsoyshr8wl.jpg

Lions%20Den%20Exit_zpsfnltkxxg.png

IMG_20160319_121414357_zpsbv2vssun.jpg

Re:

Wow....that's nice!

My issue wasn't where my old XJ could go or wouldn't go....it was the fixing all the worn out pieces the week after. Balljoints...steering...link mounts....joints....unit bearings...

jbain8 said:
You could always stay somewhere in the middle. I started with an 85 XJ plated the front back to the coil spring buckets, installed box tube rockers and then boatsided down and welded to the plated unibody rails. Tied my 3 link cross member into those then did a little tube bending to tie it all together. Been wheeling with 1 ton guys for the last year and a half and am amazed at how well it goes, might be something to consider.

IMG_20160319_111439626_zpsz7xf5ak5.jpg

2_zpsoyshr8wl.jpg

Lions%20Den%20Exit_zpsfnltkxxg.png

IMG_20160319_121414357_zpsbv2vssun.jpg

That's a sharp rig man

TBItoy said:
jbain please tell me that thing has AC.

I loathe the day I cut the lines on Gremlin.

No such luck brother.... this junk started life as a 1985 with a 2.8L V6 with AC Delete..... ;D