• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What do I need to pass emissions?

FiFo

Since I live in King County I need to get my Cherokee inspected in order to get tabs on it. My Cherokee

They put the sniffer in the tailpipe and read the emissions, on pre OBDII vehicles (older than 1996) they don't care what lights are on.

You may get some goofy looks rolling in there in your rig, but they shouldn't give you any problems testing it.

J

All they will do is plug in thier doohickey into your OBDII port. If it isn't throwing codes = you pass.

Also, the fuel cap test. But if you aren't leaking fuel vapor from your cap you are good to go.

PS take pictures.

It's a 96, so they should hook it up to the computer. The gas tank as well as the cap is all stock so it should pass.

Does the ABS light count as a "Code", other then the "low washerfluid" light that is the only one light up so there are no engine codes per say. Does the ABS light count?

Last edited:
No, the only one they are worried about is the Check Engine Light. :awesomework:

Ok, that's fine.

And yes, I will take pictures. It's at Toms right now getting a fancy windshield so that I have some semblance of street legality at Moab.

Hip failed because of Transmission problems. :eeek:

no i failed bacause my brake light fuse was out. that throws a brake system failure code. if they rely on the ecu any code will make it fail. that did keep making the check engine light come on though. ohh and the brake lights worked fine the entire time.

if they sniff the pipe you should be good to go as long as they can verify the vin. :eeek:

Last edited:
no i failed bacause my brake light fuse was out. that throws a brake system failure code. if they rely on the ecu any code will make it fail. that did keep making the check engine light come on though. ohh and the brake lights worked fine the entire time.

if they sniff the pipe you should be good to go as long as they can verify the vin. :eeek:

Ok, now you got me worried. I

My ZJ has always had the Check Engine and ABS light on. I reset the codes the day before I go to smog it the check engine light goes out but ABS of course stays on, I have always passed, well atleast the 2 times I have had to do it. This year was the last time I had to do it... I know you will be fine as long as your check engine light doesnt come on...

Just had my truck in last month, Check engine light on for mass air flow sensor. They plugged into the puter and passed with flying colors.