• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What gear when on trailer?

Wildman1

Ok enough about how to secure your rig on the trailer. We all know which way is the better way.

But when you park it on the trailer do you
A) Leave it in park for an auto or 1st gear for a stick
B) Put it in neutral to reduce shock to the drivetrain

not to be an ass......

but it its properly secure'd to the trailer, it shouldn't ever move enough to shock load anything....

not to be an ass......

but it its properly secure'd to the trailer, it shouldn't ever move enough to shock load anything....

Yeah, if **** goes down, the least of my worries will be if my tranny experienced a little shock loading... But just for GP park brake set, and in 1st gear:D

not to be an ass......

So don't be an ass. :fawkdancesmiley:

Just curious what others do. And I have discussed with others (argued) which way.

long trips(freeway) we leave the rig in nuetral and just check the binders at every stop. Short trips and rougher roads I leave the rig in first or second gear

So don't be an ass. :fawkdancesmiley:

Just curious what others do. And I have discussed with others (argued) which way.

If you had to argue this then the other person is clearly a idiot:haha: ..........So who is it?
I can just hear it......"I strap my Jeep by the bumper but it rolls around on the trailer so much that I leave it in neutral as to no shock load the drive train".:rolleyes:

I stopped worrying about towing after installing the Jobless electromagnet thing.

Seriously though, low range, 1st gear. My engine doesn't have enough compression to hold it anyway.

If you had to argue this then the other person is clearly a idiot:haha: ..........So who is it?
I can just hear it......"I strap my Jeep by the bumper but it rolls around on the trailer so much that I leave it in neutral as to no shock load the drive train".:rolleyes:

hahahaha, now that's funny.

1st. Plus I figure if I get in an accident and the straps break, it'll compression start itself and drive away from the immediate vicinity thus saving itself from further damage. :redneck:

When i tighten my straps i take it out of gear, then once tightened put it back in gear before leaving
X2

Thing doesn't move when properly strapped, piece of mind to leave it in gear (or park) should something fail.
________
Teen movies

Last edited:
X2

Thing doesn't move when properly strapped, piece of mind to leave it in gear (or park) should something fail.

Exactly:awesomework:

That and when im strapping down it moves back and forth a bit before totally tight, and ive seen the inside of my tranny and those tiny gears and dont trust the tighten process against my tranny LOL:haha:

When i tighten my straps i take it out of gear, then once tightened put it back in gear before leaving

Yep, same thing I do.

When I load it up, I leave it in first/low while I hook the front straps up and get them just snug so it won't roll off the back onto me during the next step. After I have the front secured, I pop it into neutral, hook up the rear chain, then head back to the front to ratchet everything down tight, then hop back up and pop it in first. I load and unload off the trailer in 4 low, so I just leave it that way when I load up.

I roll my truck all they way forward and hook up the front straps, reverse to pull them tight and shut it down in gear so it doesn't roll forward, hook up rear straps and cinch down, step on the clutch to release any pressure and check rear straps again. I almost never adjust the front ones, keeps the truck in the same spot every time this way. Oh ya, and I leave it in gear, low low 1st or reverse doesn't really matter.

Or at least that's how I used to do it back when I actually wheeled. :redneck: :haha: :haha: :looser: