• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What gear when on trailer?

I roll my truck all they way forward and hook up the front straps, reverse to pull them tight and shut it down in gear so it doesn't roll forward, hook up rear straps and cinch down, step on the clutch to release any pressure and check rear straps again. I almost never adjust the front ones, keeps the truck in the same spot every time this way. Oh ya, and I leave it in gear, low low 1st or reverse doesn't really matter.

Or at least that's how I used to do it back when I actually wheeled. :redneck: :haha: :haha: :looser:

word:awesomework:

I have to drive over the fenders to get my rig on the trailer so it's generally in 4 low, and I always leave it in park when it's well, parked. :awesomework:

I roll my truck all they way forward and hook up the front straps, reverse to pull them tight and shut it down in gear so it doesn't roll forward, hook up rear straps and cinch down, step on the clutch to release any pressure and check rear straps again. I almost never adjust the front ones, keeps the truck in the same spot every time this way.
This is exactly what I do now. No bullshit guess work, parked the same every time.

straping youre rig

if you fools are worried about shock to youre running gear youre on crack :looser: :cool: :haha:

SELL YOURE JEEP AND GET A TOYOTA

I'm with Warjeeper, cept mine goes in Park... :redneck:

I do check my straps once I travel a mile or when I hit the pavement, cos it never fails that something settles and the straps are loose.

BTW, I attatch at teh axles. Chains in the rear and straps in front. So far so good.

I'm with Warjeeper, cept mine goes in Park... :redneck:

I do check my straps once I travel a mile or when I hit the pavement, cos it never fails that something settles and the straps are loose.

Same i like to check after a short bit of travel and make sure nothing has changed:awesomework:

You see the car transports? They all leave them in park and truck them across the country.As long as you strap the running gear not the body it will be fine.You can use the winch to transfer the load weight to the back or front.My buddy hauls dealer to specialty cars all over the place. Chains are better then straps. Straps are no good once they have a fray in them. DOT can make you change them so always good to have a extra one on board. Don't use smaller then5\16's chain. I have got a ticket for having to small of chain on my load. I have moved loads up over 150.000lbs with pemit and had to move them at night.

Last edited:
Man I hate these arguments, and as a trucker my opinion is this. First off the reason truckers dont hook up to the car bodies is because there are no tie down points on a friggen car body, thus the sway and movement of the cars going down the road....I personaly use a 4" ratchet straps front and rear to tie down at the hard points of the chasis to elininate the roll that happens when they are attached to the axles. Also you get both of the best worlds by attaching to the hard points by capturing the axles also, but not when you tie down the axles alone...In a hard stop or emergancy the weight of the body will work against you if not secured and you start to multiply the weight to stop by the free weight and speed of deceleration (intertial effect) which is not good.

Take it or leave it, its free

Man I hate these arguments, and as a trucker my opinion is this. First off the reason truckers dont hook up to the car bodies is because there are no tie down points on a friggen car body, thus the sway and movement of the cars going down the road....I personaly use a 4" ratchet straps front and rear to tie down at the hard points of the chasis to elininate the roll that happens when they are attached to the axles. Also you get both of the best worlds by attaching to the hard points by capturing the axles also, but not when you tie down the axles alone...In a hard stop or emergancy the weight of the body will work against you if not secured and you start to multiply the weight to stop by the free weight and speed of deceleration (intertial effect) which is not good.

Really the reason why not to strap to the body is that body bounces up and down on the suspension causing the straps to slack and tighten repeatedly. This kind of thing is more likely to result in hooks popping off and things coming loose.

Is this the SAME TooRisky from EWOR fame?? The one who called PUO out?

Strap it down at the axles!!! If you want add a strap or two to hold the body sway down.

But that isn't what this thread was about. There is another thread for that.
This one is asking what gear do you leave your rig in when tied down on the trailer??

When i tighten my straps i take it out of gear, then once tightened put it back in gear before leaving
same here.

i pull up, and throw on the rear chains, with even links, crossed, to the rear axle. then throw it in gear, and do a slight burnout, causing the chains to automatically center the truck.(this works VERY well.)
then i throw it in neutral, hook up the front chain, to the axle, and tighten it down. finish by putting it in park.

edit: holy hell, i didnt see how old this was...oops:mad:

Last edited:
I put mine on the trailer where it is going to ride.. place in park... hook my straps to the points built into the frame for this reason.... compress the suspension lowering the truck 8" to 10" and hit the road.

1st. Plus I figure if I get in an accident and the straps break, it'll compression start itself and drive away from the immediate vicinity thus saving itself from further damage. :redneck:
That's assuming your Jeep runs.....:stirpot:

Sometimes first sometimes second sometimes third sometimes forth sometime fifth sometimes neutral sometimes reverse sometimes I don

Chain it down, then you don't have to worry about what gear it's in, but if you use straps.....well then you might need to :D