• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

what Gears?

231toyota

ok so i am going with a 4.5" suspension lift on my 85 yota and want to run
35's. I keep getting mixed signals on what gears to run, one says 4.88 and others say 5.29's. So i am here to ask you professionals your opinion's. I will be driving on the street and hiways from time to time, but also what to run elbe,evens and other simular trails.
so i ask of you of your infinite knowlege on this.
thanks.:awesomework:

no dual cases just plain stock x-fer case, and birfs till they break....lol. well thank you ty and to you crash, it will be 5.29's then, i will be looking to put a posi in the rear if anyone has one reasonable. and probably go open front till i can work up the funds or sell off one my pistols...ha ha a guy will sell or do about anything to his wheelin up and goin to hit the trails....
thanks again guys..:redneck:

What motor do you have? And most likely 5.29 will put you near to stock gearing...which is more important for a stock 4 banger.

If you had the ability to try both---you would want the 5.29's :awesomework:

Wont the 5:29s make it cry(scream) at highway speeds with 35s:eeek: For this reason I went with 4:56s in mine and geared down the TC (low range) for wheeling.

5.29's for sure

the final ratio is alittle lower then stock gearing and stock size tires.... so that has to be good for a couple horse power right:redneck:

i am running 5.29's and 35's at 60mph i am right around 3,000 rpm's in 5th gear

5.29's for sure

the final ratio is alittle lower then stock gearing and stock size tires.... so that has to be good for a couple horse power right:redneck:

i am running 5.29's and 35's at 60mph i am right around 3,000 rpm's in 5th gear

so dove'd85 are you running a lil 4 banger 22re also? 3000rpm's in 5th does'nt sound to bad to me..def. goin 5.29"s..

thanks for all the input guys..:cool::beer:

so dove'd85 are you running a lil 4 banger 22re also? 3000rpm's in 5th does'nt sound to bad to me..def. goin 5.29"s..

thanks for all the input guys..:cool::beer:

yup built by trainwreck:awesomework:

stock motor with an rv grind delta cam shaft

right around 3 grand is were mine sounds the best:D

yup built by trainwreck:awesomework:

stock motor with an rv grind delta cam shaft

right around 3 grand is were mine sounds the best:D

lol sounds like where i wanna be.... hope to get this truck all done and ready soon, would like to get out with some you folks and do a lil bit of wheelin, i can still play, but not well with others "that r built":D

If you are running more street than trails 4.88 would be the way to go as Pokey said you will actually be too low for highway speeds and rev 3k rpm at 60, Im running 4.88 with 39.5 tires and my speedometer is dead on at any speed. And yes nitro gears kick ass

thanks for the feed back on the nitro gears traildemon, and i'm gonna guess that the driveablity will be more on the pavement to and from the trails providing i dont break anything...:eeek: so i will take the 4.88's in cosideration for the type of driving, if i had a tow rig and trailer then i would possibly go the other way..if it were to be just a trail rig.:beer:

thanks for the feed back on the nitro gears traildemon, and i'm gonna guess that the driveablity will be more on the pavement to and from the trails providing i dont break anything...:eeek: so i will take the 4.88's in cosideration for the type of driving, if i had a tow rig and trailer then i would possibly go the other way..if it were to be just a trail rig.:beer:

IF it isnt a daily driver put the 5.29s in it!!! If u are only driving it to and from the trail then screw then little extra driveablitly i would much rather have the gearing!!!:awesomework:

35's turn into 37's in a blink of an eye...plan ahead and just get 5.29's btw yukons aren't top o the heap anymore for toys, since they're china made now they've had a lot more problems...and tend to be a bitch to set up. I've actually heard really good things about the trail gear 5.29's.