• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What is the Best Ring & Pinion

cjunknxs

So I've broke or twisted splines on three drive shafts one which resulted in a damaged ring and pinion. I have the drive shaft issues solved (Thanks to Oliver's Driveshafts) now I grenaded another Yukon HP 60 ring and pinion. I'm running 44 pitbulls,513 gears,4.3 Atlas, TH 400 and a stock LQ9 6.0. I plan on cryo treating the next R&P set but want to start with the best parts so that I don't go through a R&P every 6 months. I'd like to hear from the bouncer crowd on what they have the best luck with. Thanks.

If you are blowing a hp 60 yukon gear every 6 months you need to look somewhere else. Warped carrier/spool, installer is not up to par, or you gots too much nitrous. Hell Bobby Tanner didn't have THAT much trouble outta his at first.

BUG-E J said:
If you are blowing a hp 60 yukon gear every 6 months you need to look somewhere else. Warped carrier/spool, installer is not up to par, or you gots too much nitrous. Hell Bobby Tanner didn't have THAT much trouble outta his at first.

I'm with Johnathan on this one :driving:

That is what I was kind of suspecting. I'm confident that it was installed correctly but I will look in to the carrier being warped. I may just replace the entire guts to be on the safe side.
ehetana2.jpg

I run a lp 60 and when I got my buggy it had 5.86's. I blew a set about my 6th ride but they had been beat on for YEARS. I broke another set 3 rides later. I got my drivetrain guy to put my carrier in a lathe and turn it down straight. He said it was so bad out he thought I may have had to buy one. Since I drove it back to the trailer locking up and sliding the front tires from los primos I figure that done it. I did go to 4.56s which is why I haven't broke another but its deff something to check.

Always a good idea to check youre pattern and back lash on more than one place of the ring gear. This sometimes can eliminate possible problems also. Just my two cents.

Mortalis5509 said:
Cryo will make them brittle. Doesn't really strengthen them.

any facts to back up this statement? i've done some research and found the opposite of what you are claiming. but i'm not an expert either.

please don't take this the wrong way, just trying to educate myself and others.

wizzo said:
any facts to back up this statement? i've done some research and found the opposite of what you are claiming. but i'm not an expert either.

Off hand no. I started asking about them and that's what I got back from people, no forum posting. My ubderstanding is that they came from from formula 1 racing and designed for strength for them. We shock load the crap out of our axles and wasn't designed for that intially. Maybe someone has worked on the treatmentfor offroading. With less give in the gears they would break wasier when shock load occured. Thats what I know.

Longfield has been Cryo and heat treating gear sets for a Long time, they claim a 30% increase in strength

Anybody have any experience with Nitro gears? I was thinking about trying them out. I heard that Yukon is the best but I'm not convinced.

Neal3000 said:
Longfield has been Cryo and heat treating gear sets for a Long time, they claim a 30% increase in strength

I have cryoed 5.29's in the rear of my yota axled buggy.... I can say that they are a good bit stronger. No numbers to prove it but real world testing and surviving.

booyang