• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What to do in Asheville, NC and Knoxville, TN?

Might be little far north but put-in-bay ohio is where you need to go bars everywhere on a small island transportion is golf cart cool place to see was there last weekend good times

Thirsty monk was pretty cool

High wire may have been my favorite brewery there it is pretty new (the brown ale and the stout are great). Wicked weed has the most beers on tap that they make probably. Tupelo honey is really good food everybody says but it was too busy for us to go to, Sunny point cafe is a breakfast that we went to that was awesome. You can walk to about 5-10 breweries I think in downtown with about a 10 minute walk, almost all of them good. I'll try to remember more when I am not typing from the phone.

Be ready for lots of hippies and soap stores, but the town is a blast.

T K said:
Thirsty monk was pretty cool

High wire may have been my favorite brewery there it is pretty new (the brown ale and the stout are great). Wicked weed has the most beers on tap that they make probably. Tupelo honey is really good food everybody says but it was too busy for us to go to, Sunny point cafe is a breakfast that we went to that was awesome. You can walk to about 5-10 breweries I think in downtown with about a 10 minute walk, almost all of them good. I'll try to remember more when I am not typing from the phone.

Be ready for lots of hippies and soap stores, but the town is a blast.

I'm looking forward to it! My buddy and his now wife took a trip to Portland, OR last year and went to the Rogue Brewery. They went to tons of scenic places out there like Crater Lake, and all sorts of orther local brew pubs. Ever since I looked through all the pics he took of the different places they went, I've been dying to take a trip similar to that, so this will be it. I love seeing cities with different "sub cultures." I wish we were going this weekend lol but it will be some time in July or Aug before we will be able to go.

TacomaJD said:
I'm looking forward to it! My buddy and his now wife took a trip to Portland, OR last year and went to the Rogue Brewery. They went to tons of scenic places out there like Crater Lake, and all sorts of orther local brew pubs. Ever since I looked through all the pics he took of the different places they went, I've been dying to take a trip similar to that, so this will be it. I love seeing cities with different "sub cultures." I wish we were going this weekend lol but it will be some time in July or Aug before we will be able to go.

Portland is an awesome city. I love going there.

We go to Asheville a couple times a yr to see shows and bar hop, it's only 1.5hrs up the road. Plenty of bars and breweries but only a good days worth are in walking distance of each other. Try to hit up one of the festivals like brewgrass if you can. Nashville is the best bar hopping town I've been to. Had my share of rowdy times bar hopping in Pittsburgh as well.

I'd definitely spend the 3 nights in Asheville...and make the trip to Knoxville another time!

DEFINITELY hit up the Thirsty Monk. The upstairs is all american craft beers and downstairs is where it gets interesting. Down there it's all Belgian craft brews...and the best part is that the bartenders actually know what they're talking about...be sure to let them know what you like and they'll put you on the right track to trying several new ones.

Tupelo Honey is AWESOME...damn I love their biscuits! The meatloaf is to die for...damnit I wanna go back again! The Market in downtown Knoxville also has a Tupelo Honey now.

I'm assuming you've never been to Asheville, or at least spent a limited amount of time there...so...be sure to check out the Grove Park Inn. I'd have to take out a 2nd mortgage to afford to stay there, but it's pretty cool to check out, and they serve lunch/dinner on their back porch overlooking the Asheville area...great views! The bar carries a selection of local beers as well. The Green Man Brewery is another good one, of course there's Highland Brewing and French Broad Brewing Co's to check out also.

I'm from Knoxville originally, but I've only recently started going back and enjoying the revived downtown areas...it's definitely waking up and on the right track...

pholmann said:
In knoxville you can go to the bearden beer market. They have a **** ton of craft beers. Go to the old city for night life. Don't listen to mike (5bros). If it doesn't happen outside of his garage, he don't ****in know :flipgotcha: in the old city you have a bunch of small pubs that have different beers and it's walking distance to the downtown brewery. Go to Boyd's jig and reel in the old city. Authentic Scottish pub. Awesome!!

Hey, **** this guy. :gtfo: :flipper:

Smokey Mountain Brewery is great! :eat: :drinkers:

GONOVRIT said:
We go to Asheville a couple times a yr to see shows and bar hop, it's only 1.5hrs up the road. Plenty of bars and breweries but only a good days worth are in walking distance of each other. Try to hit up one of the festivals like brewgrass if you can. Nashville is the best bar hopping town I've been to. Had my share of rowdy times bar hopping in Pittsburgh as well.

I will agree, Nashville is the **** for bar hopping!

Re: Re: Re: What to do in Asheville, NC and Knoxville, TN?

clemsonjeep said:
I'd definitely spend the 3 nights in Asheville...and make the trip to Knoxville another time!

DEFINITELY hit up the Thirsty Monk. The upstairs is all american craft beers and downstairs is where it gets interesting. Down there it's all Belgian craft brews...and the best part is that the bartenders actually know what they're talking about...be sure to let them know what you like and they'll put you on the right track to trying several new ones.

Tupelo Honey is AWESOME...damn I love their biscuits! The meatloaf is to die for...damnit I wanna go back again! The Market in downtown Knoxville also has a Tupelo Honey now.

I'm assuming you've never been to Asheville, or at least spent a limited amount of time there...so...be sure to check out the Grove Park Inn. I'd have to take out a 2nd mortgage to afford to stay there, but it's pretty cool to check out, and they serve lunch/dinner on their back porch overlooking the Asheville area...great views! The bar carries a selection of local beers as well. The Green Man Brewery is another good one, of course there's Highland Brewing and French Broad Brewing Co's to check out also.

I'm from Knoxville originally, but I've only recently started going back and enjoying the revived downtown areas...it's definitely waking up and on the right track...

I may just end up staying in Asheville :****: sounds awesome!

We will probably drive to a few places during the day then hit whatever is local to our hotel in the evening.

I'm hoping we make it happen toward the end of July. July 24th (Thurs), there's a badass concert at The Orange Peel with Black Label Society, Wovenwar, and Kyng. Don't really care about Kyng, but would really like to see Zakk Wylde live and hear Wovenwar too. Wovenwar is pretty much As I Lay Dying with a new lead singer since their other one, Tim, Lambesis, recently went to jail for trying to hire a hitman to kill his wife. Lol

TacomaJD said:
I may just end up staying in Asheville :****: sounds awesome!

We will probably drive to a few places during the day then hit whatever is local to our hotel in the evening.

Wovenwar is pretty much As I Lay Dying with a new lead singer since their other one, Tim, Lambesis, recently went to jail for trying to hire a hitman to kill his wife. Lol

I wonder if they will be decent. I love older AILD, where Tim wrote all the riffs, and lyrics on the first 4/5 albums (most of the drum tracks too), the drummer wrote almost all of the newest album (which blew big time)... I figure Wovenwar will just be watered down late AILD with radio rock polish & hooks :dunno:

muddinmetal said:
I wonder if they will be decent. I love older AILD, where Tim wrote all the riffs, and lyrics on the first 4/5 albums (most of the drum tracks too), the drummer wrote almost all of the newest album (which blew big time)... I figure Wovenwar will just be watered down late AILD with radio rock polish & hooks :dunno:

Go to Wovenwar's website, there are a few vids already of their junk. It's got some of Nick Hipa's good riffage in it, but nothing like AILD. Vocals are clean instead of screaming too, but nonetheless they would be a good side show before Black Label Society as a bonus concert while we are in Asheville. I checked all other dates through June, Aug, and even Sept. and this was the only concert that looked like it was worth a ****. Saw where 10 Years had played there before, I'd really love to see them live.

If your route takes you by, Hot Springs NC is a cool little mountain town as well. I took a zero day there when on the AT and loved it! Alot of day rafting trips or lazy beer drinking tube rides down the french broad river, relaxing in the hot springs tubs, couple cool little bars, cheap hostles, cabins or motel to stay in. And always a plethora of smokin hot, sex deprived, thru hiker chicks too loller.gif

I def found where we are staying at. The Aloft Hotel downtown looks like the fawking coolest hotel I've ever seen. Badass bar with local crafts / lounge area / and pool table, badass outdoor patio/pool area, The Ledge overlooking Biltmore Ave, awesome view from the rooms! ****, all that to me will be just as cool as going out and seeing some of the bars and breweries! Nearly $200 a night, but this is BEERCATION 2014! ....time to splurge!

See if this links to the photo gallery of this hotel, I could chill out on that ledge and drink all night!

http://www.aloftashevilledowntown.com/gallery

I live about 10- min from Asheville. Need to hit the Biltmore House, its a little expensive, but pay the extra an get a private tour. Takes you through a lot of secret passages, an other things that would would never see or know was even there.
Wicked Weed is a good Brewery. There are bars an micro breweries every where you turn. Asheville is called the beer city.
There is a lot of hippies so watch out :)
Hope you enjoy it here, there is a lot to do.

I'm kinda up in the air about Biltmore now that I've researched more about the place and found so much to do. It will likely be a time filler if we do 3 days and have one with some free time....unless my buddy reeeaaally wants to go. Lol

zukimaster said:
If i were going up there, I would get Jim Tom from Moonshiners, and hang out with him!

I'm gonna see how much Marsha will charge to give me slow road head on the way up there. :****: