• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What was your hobby before offroading?

Re: Re: What was your hobby before offroading?

Did a lot of autocross and open tracking (HPDE) events from age 16 to 30. I got into offroading because it was cheaper. Don't laugh....its true!!! ;D Its also less stressful.

Still got the mustang. ...but its been retired to garage ornament and weekend putt putt arounder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKBJrzpcVYA

Ive done about everything. started out with a 5hp go-cart when i was 3yrs old . Me and my dad decided it wasnt fast enough so we built the motor.. it ended up running on alchol. To say the least i had a fast yard cart molaugh. Got a cr80 for christmas when i was in 7th grade and rode dirt bikes through high school. I bought my first jeep when i was 15 . Jeeps and off roading have been a big part of my life for a long time. in between jeeps ive had ,dune bugggies ,four wheelers , dirt bikes, mustangs, and just sold my 1969 bbc z28.I BOUGHT A RZR 2 WEEKS AGO AND SO FAR ITS BEEN ALOT OF FUN

tonybolton said:
Did a lot of autocross and open tracking (HPDE) events from age 16 to 30. I got into offroading because it was cheaper. Don't laugh....its true!!! ;D Its also less stressful.

Still got the mustang. ...but its been retired to garage ornament and weekend putt putt arounder.

hmm i have been considering this as another hobby but offroading being cheaper... damn! :eek:

1500$ tires twice a year......300-500$ entry fees.....gas....brakes....safety equip.
..fluids....

Now thats jus open tracking. Jus weekend hobby autocross'ing (like the video I posted) isnt as bad. You still have 40$ entry fees and new tires yearly are more manageable. But if you do 10 events a year thats 400$ right there.

Plus with autocross. ...you hafta work. Meaning you get 5 min. of drive time and 3hrs of standing in one spot time.

Also, autocross'ing caters more to small underpowered cars like miatas and fwd econoboxes. Not as fun to me but the classes are more suited to them.

Longish vid with some heat laps but its cool passin folks at 100+ mph ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xttr77H3Smw

DUUUUUDE! I loooove that track, I done a trackday at Nashville one time. That looooooong front straight (or back straight, can't remember what it's called) is crazy!!! On a literbike, you easily hit 160mph before dumping off back onto the flat ground into a 90 mph curve with knee on the ground. That little part there always got my ole **** hard!!!

:****:

These are from Nashville. That was just my 3rd trackday and 1st time riding in Intermediate, so my form was still pretty crappy. Always wanted to go back, but kept saving my money to keep hitting Barber Motorsports Park.

Takes balls to do that on a bike.....nice.

My heavy brick would get to 130 and run outa power. 4.10 gear hurt it a lil

tonybolton said:
Takes balls to do that on a bike.....nice.

My heavy brick would get to 130 and run outa power. 4.10 gear hurt it a lil

****, I bet I'd feel a whole helluva lot safer on a bike than a car. I've never liked going much over 100 in a car. Had that vette up to 140 on the interstate and did not care to do it again. Just feel like I have way more control over a bike I guess.

Barber's 45 ft. wide track and 80 ft. worth of elevation change would be fun as **** in a car! They have the Porsche driving school down there, but I ain't got pockets deep enough to drop $3k for one day's worth of experience in a car when I've already rode in Advance class with Geoff May (pro rider) at Barber. That's a tough one to top as far as personal experience goes for me lol.

well I use to have a old pontoon boat that I would take drunk dirty pirate hookers out on..... competitive drinking team.. old junk piece of crap kinda hotrods trucks(ya know....flat black...loud mufflers..lots of rust... did I say chaseing drunk dirty whores?? well I still do that...AH HA!!!!!! and a lot of :drinkers:!! AH HA

TacomaJD said:
Had that vette up to 140 on the interstate and did not care to do it again. Just feel like I have way more control over a bike I guess.

I've had my Tundra to 120 on some ratty street terrains. I wasn't scared. But then, I stand up when I pee.

Re: Re: Re: Re: What was your hobby before offroading?

LandSpeeder said:
I've had my Tundra to 120 on some ratty street terrains. I wasn't scared. But then, I stand up when I pee.

I've seen 191 on half the wheels and felt a lot safer. ...and I only sit down to pee if I'm not wearing my leg. :flipoff1:

Well I have owned a offroad rig since 13. It was a 78 2 door Cherokee Chief on 36" TSL up till I was in High School. Then it became wranglers and Grand Cherokees.
15 I got into Stereo Comps and then inherited my grandfathers car. One owner 1967 Ford Galaxie 500xl and it has been my primary focus up to the last few years.

Car Now 18 years later
IMG_20130731_195021_547_zps2d78770d.jpg

Little money pit I like tinkering with:
IMG_20130919_194825_961_zpseb8020d2.jpg

Wish I never sold this:
ghjfu6yd657fg87i.jpg

Always been into offroading, started when I was 6. Always been a gearhead but I love Stand-up jet ski's and hunting, plus of course everything automotive

Latest posts