• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Whats the new hot battery?

Optima hands down... I've had my Blue top for 3+ years still holding strong everytime i just started that thing up after sitting for 2 months. I personally have not been impressed with exide batteries i see way to many fail.

Been using and abusing red tops for about 10 years and the only ones I had issues with are the first 2, after 6 and 7 years of use. This is also after using them to weld, while hooked in series for 24 volts, many a time on the trail.

JME.....Will be gettin another for a 2nd batt in the new rig.

we've ran optimas for a while, but lately we're finding that the newer red tops are dying after about 6 months. as I mentioned before, the border patrol here had the same issues and switched to the yellow tops w/ no issues since.

I run dual red top optimas. I find that in my system where I have the alt going to both batts normally it works fine. After heavy winching, it sucks the "lesser" battery dead. I don't have a problem with the one with a good charge, but the lesser battery just remains dead.

I usually switch them out from vehicle/winch every 3 or 4 months and the alt charges them both up until a heavy winching episode, then just the same the battery with the lower charge goes "dead" until I switch them again.

I am seriously considering a dual blue or yellow top setup.

Optima hands down... I've had my Blue top for 3+ years still holding strong everytime i just started that thing up after sitting for 2 months. I personally have not been impressed with exide batteries i see way to many fail.

Been using and abusing red tops for about 10 years and the only ones I had issues with are the first 2, after 6 and 7 years of use. This is also after using them to weld, while hooked in series for 24 volts, many a time on the trail.

JME.....Will be gettin another for a 2nd batt in the new rig.

I'm still running the same red top I installed 8+ years ago.

Optima's. Why change what works?

I went and bought a brand new Red top, and got it home, no charge, charged it for days on end, nothing, took it back got another, same deal, I will never do another Optima. After I got home, I Googled about Optimas, and there are a ton of websites where people complain how shitty their experience has been with Optima's. :fawkdancesmiley: I am very interested in those Odyssey batteries.

I went and bought a brand new Red top, and got it home, no charge, charged it for days on end, nothing, took it back got another, same deal, I will never do another Optima. After I got home, I Googled about Optimas, and there are a ton of websites where people complain how shitty their experience has been with Optima's. :fawkdancesmiley: I am very interested in those Odyssey batteries.
Bad batch? That sucks. Wasted time.
:eeek:

I have a 2 year old red top in my truck that if I run the stereo with the engine off for more than 15 mins it will be dead. If I happen to leave the offroad lights on for 5-10 seconds after I shut the truck off I'm needin a jump.

I wonder if Optima is aware of the issues it's having...although I'm sure they don't really care

I still have the original Toyota battery in my truck. 11 years and still going :D
..course web-wheelin doesn't put much of a strain on it :flipoff:

Down here the typical LA battary lasts 2-3 years tops.

I have a 3 year old Optima in my DD. So far so good.

Where can I get pricing on these Odysseys?

Ouch 160ish

In any case I need 2 new batteries within 2 weeks to get the rig ready for the big trip...

I've only heard of problems with Optima red-tops...not the blue or yellow.

I run blue in the Taco and yellow in the Mog. No complaints.

PS: Every so often GI Joes will run a special for 20% off all Optimas.

I've got the Odyssey 1200's in both Jeeps and they've been great. I had a open circuit that sucked the life out of the battery that went unnoticed for a month and the battery took a charge easily. On the other Jeep I had a minor brain fade and after doing some work left the key on the accessory position.....for 2 weeks. It also charged up easily. I've had red tops in the past and they would've been toast or at least taken forever to charge.
They are also much smaller than a std red top but recover quicker for heavy winch duty.