• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Whats the new hot battery?

I'm gonna run a PC 1200 in the new rig only cuz it's small and can handle some winch activity.No other accessory draw though

ODY-PC1200MJT $187.95
Brand: Odyssey Drycell Batteries
Product Line: Odyssey Drycell Batteries
Battery Usage: Deep cycle/Starting
Volts: 12 V
Battery Terminals: Top
Battery Type: Dry cell
Cranking Amps at 0 Degrees F: 530 amps
Cranking Amps at 32 Degrees F: 860 amps
Reserve Capacity: 78 minutes
Length (in): 7.875 in.
Width (in): 6.660 in.
Height (in): 6.800 in.
Weight: 38 lbs.
Quantity: Sold individually.
Notes: Metal jacket with SAE terminals.

Battery, Dry Cell, 12 V, Deep Cycle, 530 Cold Cranking Amps, Top Post, Each

Deep cycle, big power.
These Odyssey sealed rechargeable Drycell batteries provide up to 1,700 cranking amps and are capable of 400 deep cycles. They can be installed on their sides or at any angle, and have a 2-year storage life at 25 degrees C.

Brand: Optima Batteries $179.95
Product Line: Optima BlueTop Starting 12 Volt Batteries
Battery Usage: Starting
Volts: 12 V
Battery Terminals: Top
Battery Type: AGM
Cranking Amps at 0 Degrees F: 800 amps
Cranking Amps at 32 Degrees F: 980 amps
Reserve Capacity: 110 minutes
Length (in): 10.000 in.
Width (in): 6.875 in.
Height (in): 7.812 in.
Weight: 39 lbs.
Quantity: Sold individually.
Notes: BCI Group 34

Battery, Blue Top, 12 V, Starting, 800 Cold Cranking Amps, Top Post, BCI Group 34, Each

Reliable starting.
These Optima BlueTop starting 12 volt batteries, featuring Spiralcell technology, are designed for all of your starting needs. Vibration and jarring, whether from off-road use or major potholes, can kill a traditional battery. The tightly wound construction in Optima batteries minimizes the plate movement and subsequent damage caused by harsh conditions, extending battery life. These Optima BlueTop batteries are leakproof, so they can be mounted anyplace inside a vehicle, in almost any position.

Been running an optima redtop for 2 yrs now. Problem was when it sat for 3 days in 10 degree weather it died, but charged right back up after sitting on a charger. SOmetimes it doesnt like to start when the truck is in revers and the reverse lights are on...kinda weird but when driving its at around 17 amps strong.

not to hijack but where did you end up deciding to mount the battery on your rig. also, what is the pc 1200?

More than likely passenger side of the skid plate,just to the right of the rear driveline and just above the lower link(at the top of it's travel).This gets it low in the car and as far rearward that this elevation will allow OR...............................The last couple of days I've been contemplating smooshing it in with all the crap in the very rear to try and get the car balanced better but I don't want that block of weight that high in the CG equation sooooooooooooooo................................I'm not sure:beer:

Just to throw it out there, I picked up a Oribital Gel Cell that was marked as Seconds. Carries the same warranty but Orbital takes the ones that don't sell by the tagged date and 'refurbishes' them marks them as Seconds and re-distributes them. Haven't had a problem and that after running it dead twice because i forgot to flip my cut-off switch (I have a drain someplace). And it was only $45.

Just to throw it out there, I picked up a Oribital Gel Cell that was marked as Seconds. Carries the same warranty but Orbital takes the ones that don't sell by the tagged date and 'refurbishes' them marks them as Seconds and re-distributes them. Haven't had a problem and that after running it dead twice because i forgot to flip my cut-off switch (I have a drain someplace). And it was only $45.

I got a similar deal a while back on my yellow-top. Apparently some of those indoor go-kart places run electric carts and they run on Optima Yellow-tops. They replace the batteries as regular scheduled PM, no matter how much use they actually got. The ones that charge and pass a load test get sold off as refurbs. Some of the ones I saw looked pretty beat, but I found one that looked almost brand new. I figured it couldn't have been used much and still look that good, so I handed over my $40. That was 3+ years ago and it's still going strong.

Oh yeah - my alternator crapped out for a while and I found that I could daily-drive it for about a week and a half before having to throw it on the charger overnight. That's what a deep cycle battery is for right?

So what is the true difference between the red/blue tops? I know the yellow is a deep cycle

The general difference is "starting" vs. "deep cycle". The deep cycle batteries are dual-purpose, good for both. The starting batteries tend to not recover so well from a full discharge (also don't have as much reserve capacity).

Look for an optima with a "D" in the model number. Blue is marine - the only difference I could find is that it has thumb-screw accessory posts (they do have a non "D" model, so keep an eye out). Yellow is typically commercial or deep-cycle automotive, as far as I've seen they all have a "D" in the model number.

From what I've heard the blues can't take a high amp load like a winch. This may be heresay though...

Is an electric trolling motor for a boat considered a High amp draw?

Cause I used a blue top in my boat for trolling. It's still in there after about 8 years.

From what I've heard the blues can't take a high amp load like a winch. This may be heresay though...

They run a trolling motor just fine. ;)
I think some people try to use the thumb-screws to hook their winch, those terminals have a thinner connection to the battery core so they end up frying.

They run a trolling motor just fine. ;)
I think some people try to use the thumb-screws to hook their winch, those terminals have a thinner connection to the battery core so they end up frying.

Its clearly stated high amp loads are not to be hooked to the side post's of any optima..

I can't see a trolling motor having a very high amp load where as a winch is pulling 300+ amps at load. I see optima has both starting and deep cycle marine batteries too. Looking at the specs between marine and yellow top they look similar. It sucks that they only have a year warranty though...with the second year being a pro-rated warratny