• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Whats the new hot battery?

I have seen guys with wheelers running blue tops alot. I just don't wanna get a piece of crap... But I am also stuck/limited to what size I can run

yellow top, and you don't want to hook a winch to the side post bad idea, i know because i did it once and melted the positve side post with my winch when i had it on my old truck.

Quite a few years ago I was talking about the red top issue with one of Optimas tech boys. He told me that they don't like a slow drain and it can clogg up the plates (making terminology up here), anyway he says to hit them with a serious charge to blast them clean and then they'll hold a charge again. So I took my battery down to Standard Battery (used to be on 4th in Seattle) and they put it on their quick charge machine and hit it with a few hundred amps and sure enough it started functioning just fine and went a few more years before I sold the rig.

That's what alot of the refurbed Optimas are. Ones that were turned back for warranty because of the low charge issue, they are blasted clean and then they work fine again.

Man I'm gettin old thinkin about this one. I bought my first two red tops in 93 or 94 I believe. It was when they first came out and they kicked butt. Back then they were puttin out 1600 plus cca at 70 degrees. I had those for 7 years with no issues. Over the years of buying Optima's I have really noticed that the quality has gone down hill. Dont get me wrong, I like the battery but I have had my fair share of duds along the way. Like Tech Tim said, a couple of hundred amps will most likely get them back to life. I do believe they are the best all around battery, Providing they are used for the right application.

i ran red tops (3 sets of 2) for years. but when they crap they crap and your done.
Gary TJ set me up with 1 Interstate and it take care of all my needs, winch, lights start and if i let it sit for a month or so no problem, starts right up.
and Crach, you know how many lights i have on my rig... runs them all with no problem.

I've noticed a huge reduction in the quality of red tops over the last....4-5 years....

but the Yellow's seem to have mantained their quality pretty well...

I'd go for a couple Yellow tops mike...

--B

When my Optimas take a shiat i will be running the Exide Orbitol. They seem to be very good quality, and are lasting longer than the Red tops.

I've noticed a huge reduction in the quality of red tops over the last....4-5 years....

but the Yellow's seem to have mantained their quality pretty well...

I'd go for a couple Yellow tops mike...

--B

But arent the yellow tops a deep cycle/can't handle hard loads?

But arent the yellow tops a deep cycle/can't handle hard loads?
I have a couple friends running dual yellows, and have seen many instances where they dont keep up under heavy loads. They have said more than a few times when they fully take a dump they will be ditching them for Red tops, or orbitols.

I have a couple friends running dual yellows, and have seen many instances where they dont keep up under heavy loads. They have said more than a few times when they fully take a dump they will be ditching them for Red tops, or orbitols.

Keeping up w/ what?.....wtf heavy loads aren't they keeping up w/???

I've never, ever........seen that to be an issue....

for a 'wheelin' battery, I'd suggest nothing but yellow tops, unless you've got big $$$ for the 'hawkers' or whatever they're called.

Very True. I have found that its mainly from the Deep Cycle's recovery time (YELLOW, BLUE, ORANGE). If you are hard winching continiously you will eventually reach a point that the battery will not recover quick enough but if given adequate time to charge it will recover. Its a double edge sword. The Red Top will recover much quicker in the same conditions but its not designed to be completely cycled from charge to discharge. Managing your batteries properly will give best results no matter which battery you chose to run. :awesomework:
Rgds,
Dennis

Fixed it for correctiveness :stirpot:

You're absolutivelyably correctablivynessaty. I do need to get out wheeling and not spend so much time comprehending human language :fawkdancesmiley:

:haha::haha::haha::haha:

And yes, I'll be running a Red Top which should handle the large loads of winching you around all day. :D

*runs and hides from the punch machine master*

I'll get weif to distract you while I sneak under your rig and chain you to a tree. You'll never see it coming!!!

:haha:

What movie was that when they did that to the cop car---crap it skips my mind now--Na I would just pull the tree over and onto your rig :haha: :haha: