• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wheelin With the Subaru Crew

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
Most of the pics I took sucked, so I either need to take a basic digital photography class, or I should read the owners manual for my camera.

Anywho, this being my first trip to Walker Valley, I had no idea what to expect. Our group consisted of Myself in the TEEJAY, Brian in his Izuzu Trooper, and Scott and another guy in thier Subarus. We aired down and headed off to the first climb to the rock pit.

We stopped at the bottom of the hill and Scott in the white subaru. Gets ready at the bottom of the hill. He waits for a second and then WOODS IT and drives up the hill as fast as he possibly can. I am wondering to myself "what is he thinking" then it dawns on me. Subarus don't have low range. For the rest of the day it was fabulous to watch these guys rev thier motors, dump the clutch and hang on till the motor died.

I don't know the names of the trails, but we ran the "rock face" that everone talks about. We started playing there and one of the guys lost his clutch due to the driving style I had previously mentioned. I ended up towing him for a while before his clutch cooled down enough to use. Scott in the white rig. Blew two tires during the day. And Brian Broke a front hub.

An awesome day wheeling. Beautiful weather and a great group of guys to hit the trail with.

Pics and a short video of the subaru driving style. Someone needs to buy these guys low range transfer cases. :redneck:

Exiting the harder section of trail.

dsc02910ct4.jpg

Scott getting some air time on the rock face. He drove about 1/3 of it on two wheels. Was impressive to watch.
dsc02874in0.jpg

Here's our group at the start of the day.
dsc02868ha5.jpg

Brian gettin some at the rock face.
dsc02878sy9.jpg

Can't remember this guys name, but his car took quite a beating that day.
dsc02885yz4.jpg

This picture sucks, but scott layed the whole car on it's side in this mud "puddle". At one time, he had about 4 feet of air under both drivers side tires.
dsc02917ax9.jpg

And one of our group at the end of the day.
dsc02920jh6.jpg

archer1965 said:
How do you rate those trails compared to say Sac-Up and Isabel? :corn:

I dunno. Using the SKI system.

Easy - moderate - advanced -extreme

Id rate the trail we ran (besides the rock face) Moderate.

Sac up, with the bypasses, I'd rate as easy, with the original lines, it's advanced.

Lower izzy, moderate. After the bridge advanced.

Little sluice on the rubicon, extreme. The rest of the trail, advanced.

The 695 to funny/moon, Easy. The harder lines there, extreme.

does the sub not have enough power to keep it running. it looks like anytime that motor saw any load on it it almost kacked out!:haha:
Sweet rigs but i'll keep my v8 that doesn't bog

Sweet pics

angelfly said:
does the sub not have enough power to keep it running. it looks like anytime that motor saw any load on it it almost kacked out!:haha:
Sweet rigs but i'll keep my v8 that doesn't bog

Sweet pics

No the subarus have some power for their weight, but their 4lo isn't low enough.

Yeah, they have low ranges. But when you put bigger tires on the for extra lift, they tend to run low on torque. Hence the need to get a running start:corn:

Mines a little more modded than that. I have a divorced t-case and dont have to get running starts. Also running with a Weber helps in the power dept.
I will be up at EC on the 3rd, come on up!

how did you guys get to express way. i remember a few years back we were allowed to go around the gate, now its all blocked off. i want to know which way you went. ill take a run up there tomorrow

Awesome thanks for sharing! I think we need to get a subi+all other wheelers run goin up at reiter that would be a fun day!