• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Where to get regeared

frdbronco8

Got a quote from a local shop for $2400 to put 4.88s and a true Trac in a TJ. Does this sound right. Curious what other people paid in the Puget sound area.

What shop? Call Billy bobs offroad, Jantz, Auburn Car repair, Randy's ring and pinion, Randy's offroad, Crash

If you like to turn wrenches, take the axles out of the vehicle and strip them down. Buy the parts online and you can find someone that will setup the new gears for around $150 labor each axle.

Last edited:
8 hours of labor per axle at 100 an hour =1600
D35 Truetrac = 400
Gears 200 per axle =400

Sounds right on the money to me for a drive it there and drive it back price. And that's not even accounting for parts markup

I have done many many many diffs for local folks and saved them a ton of $$$. Only down side Is ya gotta bring me the axles only.

The guy who does it for me charged 350 a dif, axles can stay in the car. He's in federal way. Pm me if you're interested. My gears have held up fine in the buggy.

I guess I am living in the past, I remember when it was about $1200 for gears at Randy's! I called a few of the local places and they seem to all be pretty similar.
I just picked up a new in box set of gears and set up kit for the front for $150 so I can save a little there.
Gold Bar is a bit of a drive but I may PM Chris, thanks. I am in Covington so Fed Way wouldnt be bad.

You are ONE of the original quotes :) Talked to a few shops and all seem to be pretty close.

I am considering selling my D44 (they seem to list for at least $1k online) and buying a
G2 Dana 44 with the gears and Truetrac already in it ($2275). Then just paying to have the front geared to match. Seems like it would be cheaper in the end and I would have a whole new rear axle with chromoly shafts. Anyone have experience with these?

What about it do you not like? I would have to keep my old brakes or convert to discs is the only downside I see but I would love to get peoples opinions.

What about it do you not like? I would have to keep my old brakes or convert to discs is the only downside I see but I would love to get peoples opinions.

Just overall quality of the G2 gears and shafts. They're just using a factory housing so they can't screw that part up. :)

Thats a brand new D44 with 4.56 gears, Alloy Shafts and a True Trac. Not sure how I could find it any cheaper?

You won't find it cheaper. But that's kind of the point. There are MANY other products that are much higher quality than the crap that G2 is putting out.

I've also seen G2 stuff fail...
Keep your rear 44 and build it, you already own the same housing G2 is gonna sell ya... :awesomework:

Like what has already been said g2 axles are factory housing for the tj.

I have a g2 front 44,5. But I made it lucky because I have arb locker and spicer ring and pinion.

That being said I would not try running anything bigger than 35 inch tires with factory tj 44

If you are going to defeat a tj rear 44 I would up grade to 33 spline axle shafts

Last edited:
For the half the price of someone setting up my axles, I'm in the process of setting up my own. It is time consuming for the first time, but now that I know what I'm doing, the front axle will go a lot quicker. It's really not that hard of a job, the price in either tools and personal labor, or having someone else do it is all worth it - depending how deep your wallets are.

I could put a Dana 60, 14 bolt, beadlocks and used 39" swampers under a jeep for $2200. But that is doing all the labor myself and craigslist/swap meet parts.