• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

where you find money for these $60k builds? or more?

hokie_yj said:
6-800 hrs of OT per year for me. I work to be able to afford to build it, but if I work I barely have time to build it.

Think this is why you see alot of high $$$ buggies for sale. 60k invested and can only take it out a couple times a year

72 hour work weeks for four years straight. Sold a Corvette and Harley to help build Bombshell. No kids and being debt free helps.

Re:

I run a 1-900 telephone self help line where Ford owners call in and I reassure them thier motors make enough horsepower.

Business started booming in 97 when the GM LS engine came out. ;)

Easy 100k a year :)

Single for 4 years now. It turns out it's not cheaper to keep em. It sure freed up some cash monthly.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

Re:

tonybolton said:
I run a 1-900 telephone self help line where Ford owners call in and I reassure them thier motors make enough horsepower.

Business started booming in 97 when the GM LS engine came out. ;)

Easy 100k a year :)
Bahahaha. Hahaha no seriously they all have to be drug dealers right? I think the answer to the question is.. Some people got it some people don't. If you have a $60,000 buggy, I would say there's a 90% chance that you're successful. There's always the 10% that could be in debtup to their eyes. I doubt it though. The better question is what's the difference in $100,000 ,a 60k and some of the 35K buggies with dam near the same part list ??

highrolrcustoms said:
Think this is why you see alot of high $$$ buggies for sale. 60k invested and can only take it out a couple times a year

Gotta do what you gotta do. I'd damn sure rather work for it than do it on credit. When it's done, it's paid for.

Re:

kushKrawlin said:
Bahahaha. Hahaha no seriously they all have to be drug dealers right? I think the answer to the question is.. Some people got it some people don't. If you have a $60,000 buggy, I would say there's a 90% chance that you're successful. There's always the 10% that could be in debtup to their eyes. I doubt it though. The better question is what's the difference in $100,000 ,a 60k and some of the 35K buggies with dam near the same part list ??
35k buggies are when somebody had a lot of used parts and paid someone to build a buggy around them, 60k buggys are when someone bought everything new and paid somebody to build a buggy, 100,000k buggys are either bought by or sold to the :tc with deep pockets :woot:

*that was a joke, so you sensitive girls don't let your butts get hurt over it*

I started out with a ton jeep and built it over two years while buying parts for a new buggy. Work like others said minimum of 60+ hrs a week. Kinda why it got the name overtime. Funny parts is everybody thinks building it is the expensive part :****: they soon find out upkeep is a helluva lot more expensive. Basically once I got buggy the way I thought I wanted it I start to upgrade from there.

I've sold tow rigs,trailers and just about anything to build the stuff I got. Building everything that you can helps a bunch. I haven't bought so much as link mounts,shock mounts,motor mounts. So much of the time building this **** I wonder why in the hell I'm drilling all these hole or cutting all these brackets, but if I had bought it all I wouldn't be able to progress somewhat steadily. My last three builds have stretched to the two year mark start to finish which helps. Every ounce of overtime usually goes to something with a motor in it. I'm at the point I can't do it anymore after this build with kids getting older and the activities they get in are getting more expensive, and time is premium. I can say that I've built three vehicles from scratch. My orange tj buggy on 54's , my f5 tow pig, and my current buggy. And I can say that I haven't owed a thing on any of them during or after their builds. If I didn't have the money for lug nuts I didn't buy them. I'm a Pipefitters by trade, make decent money but usually not over 100k unless a **** ton of ot that year. With that being said if I made a **** ton of money I'd have a jimmy smith rig built for me and a wide open design rig built for me. There's nothing wrong with paying someone to build you a rig start to finish, I would do it if I had the money. But at the same time when someone asks you who built this and you say I did it doesn't matter if it's a 10,000 k rig or a 70,000k rig. It's worth the time and individual pay checks you spent on it.

crawlin85cj said:
Single for 4 years now. It turns out it's not cheaper to keep em. It sure freed up some cash monthly.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO
If you don't quit runnin over them, you'll never get another wife!

Re:

AdamF said:
35k buggies are when somebody had a lot of used parts and paid someone to build a buggy around them, 60k buggys are when someone bought everything new and paid somebody to build a buggy, 100,000k buggys are either bought by or sold to the people with deep pockets

I'm in the first description. had a very well built truggy and it was totalled in a nasty roll over. shipped every single part we could strip off of it to a builder had him build me a new buggy. it'll hopefully be done sometime in Dec.

I do have a good job that pays well too. that makes it easier

also sold a bunch of stuff that wasn't needed to help the cause