• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Which Tire Groover?

If you are wanting to remove big lugs (paddle cut boggers, TN or Aetna cut TSLs) then a small propane bottle torch and a cheap wood chisel works GREAT. and only costs ~$20.

I know it sounds janky, but don't knock it till you tried it! :****:

The trick is not getting the chisel hot enought to burn the rubber, if it smokes its too hot and will not cut good, it'll just gall up in the tire.

That's why the propane torch works good. Just the right amount of heat. (I tried MAPP gas and even an acetlyene torch, TOO HOT).

I was about to buy a $400 groover to TN cut my new SXs but I tried the chisel/torch first, and happy I did.

I still have a little 110v $50 groover to do detail work or sipes

whiskeymakin said:
Anyone one here tried the van alstine groover? Worth the money??
Thats the groover that the BFG and the Maxxis guys use to groove at races for their sponsored teams. So yeah they are good if the professionals use them

i have a rubber cut brand, works awsome, you can use any blade and adjust the heat range ...worth the money if your gonna use it alot

whiskeymakin said:

I bought one. I really like it. The blades are very sharp and seem to hold a good edge even on used tires. On new tires, I couldn't imagine how well it'd work.

I used the price here for the groover and blades....
http://pitstopusa.com/i-5068583-van-alstine-heated-tire-groover.html
And did the online price match at Jegs.... (knew I'd get it faster. 2 days)
http://www.jegs.com/i/Allstar+Performance/049/ALL10270/10002/-1

If it's not something you want to buy...Bring them to me. Price I'd do it for depends on cut you want.

whiskeymakin said:

Yes i have the elcheapo and the van alstine and it is well worth the money. I love mine it slap works and it works fast.

whiskeymakin said:

I also have a Van Alstine Grover and love it . It took a few ruined blades to figure out which heat setting . But I use the 3/4 and 1 inch blades on number 2 setting . most often cutting my tires .

You will need the 110 , You wont be disappointed at all with it . . The 220 only works in Australia . I called the company because that was my big question when i bought mine .

If you get the one I bought be shure to just go ahead and replace all the factory set screws in it with REAL BOLTS.

I was not even halfway done with the first tire when the heat element cut head started COMIN OUT OF THE HANDLE, and the cheesy little flat head set screw WOULD NOT hold it.

So I put a REAL BOLT IN IT ;D

TIREGROOVIN008.jpg

And then the cheesy set screw that holds in the cut head QUIT WORKIN.....so I put a REAL BOLT in it.....

TIREGROOVIN2005.jpg

AND THHHHHHHHHEN.........the cheesy setup that holds the blades SHAT OUT...so I REPLACED IT WITH A REAL BOLT AND NUT....

TIREGROOVIN2010.jpg

TIREGROOVIN2006.jpg

TIREGROOVIN2008.jpg

I had a couple of these SAME IRONS about 4 years ago, grooved SEVERAL sets of tires ,and NEVER had to do ANY of this crap to em :dunno:

:dunno:

[quote author=zukiscott

I had a couple of these SAME IRONS about 4 years ago, grooved SEVERAL sets of tires ,and NEVER had to do ANY of this crap to em :dunno:

:dunno:
[/quote]

Flip it over .. Bet its says made in china on the back .. :dblthumb:

Do any of yall with groovers live close to McCalla or Tuscaloosa ? I would love to borrow one for the afternoon to work on my pitbulls. I am a trustworthy guy and if I messed it up I would buy you a new one. I just figured if someone had one I could borrow, it would save me from buying one.

Thanks Ben

i would love to see your pitbulls after they are cut....i got a buddy that i have hounded a few times about cuttin his pretty new pitbull rockers :eat:

Rockwells607 said:
i would love to see your pitbulls after they are cut....i got a buddy that i have hounded a few times about cuttin his pretty new pitbull rockers :eat:

I am running the 42's and they hook up pretty good (much better than the 39 iroks I used to run), but I think if I take out the smallest lugs on each tire, it will make them that much better. I have started to use the chisel method but it is hard to get in there with it and I think a groover would be a lot better.

I got this one about 5 years ago. A little cheaper than the Van Alstine. Works the same with a dead short when you push and no current when you come out the other side.

Grooved about six sets of tires with it. No problems. The biggest groove I have done is about 3/4 inch... no problems.

http://racetiregroover.com/

T-1000Pic2.gif

cheroking said:
I am running the 42's and they hook up pretty good (much better than the 39 iroks I used to run), but I think if I take out the smallest lugs on each tire, it will make them that much better. I have started to use the chisel method but it is hard to get in there with it and I think a groover would be a lot better.

I dont think i have ever seen a grooved pitbull! I love my pitbulls I will definatly get another set after my tsls are gone.