• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Who tows with an RV?

JEEPKEVIN

Wife and I have had a couple of enclosed race car trailers to tow with and to camp in. We did some basic finish out on the inside and they worked out pretty good. We never had a proper shower or toilet, just had the little camp toilet and it worked out for emergency's. Our goal is to carry a buggy and a RZR at the same time, We are good with getting a full aluminum car hauler behind RV to keep weight down. i need about 23' of deck space to do this. We just sold our 36 Haulmark goose enclosed and looking to step up again.

After going to KOH, we saw some pretty nice stuff. My tow rig is a 14' RAM 2500 4x4 diesel. After looking at the 40' race trailers with living quarters, I think I am over the weight limit of what a single wheel truck is comfortable carrying. Plus, these trailers aren't cheap. Super difficult to get the 36' enclosed or my 32' open goose I have on my property. Don't think a larger trailer is our best answer. I don't plan on pulling from Dallas to Cali, we really would just use the RV for Gilmer, Clayton, Burris Valley, Marble Falls, Hot Springs which are all in a 5 hour circle of us.

Been looking at used RV's. Van front, 23' to 28' with Ford V-10. If you step to Class A, same V-10. Step to a diesel, price might be out of our league.

Class C looking at 2010 and newer, Class A might fall back to 07'

I have read all the horror stories on extended frames, crappy hitches, have an idea of what I need to look for.

So,,,, will a Ford V-10, get me from A to B at appx. 65mph for a half dozen trips each year for the next few years till I hit lottery and buy diesel pusher??

Thanks for your opinion!!!!

Glad you posted this. I'm searching for an older RV with the big 8.3 Cummins that will pull 2 rigs. I've got 2 friends that pull with RVs both being Diesel pushers. One pulls 2 rigs and the other just one, they both seem to really like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going from a diesel & trailer to a V10 brick plus trailer, you will hate life. My parents have a 2015 28' class A with the V10 flat towing a Honda CR-V.
They do plenty of cross country trips with it but last year I drove it across Utah & was ready to get back home to my 7.3.
The sweet spot I found was about 55-60 mph & 3k RPM. Average over 8000 mile trip was 6 MPG.

I'd hate to see what it would be with a heavy trailer vs the little CR-V.
f9a0c8b6efd49ade4c5978499ebfac0d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I tow with a 43ft Tiffin and it does well, the trailer is a heavy 22ft deck trailer and I haul my 1 ton Jeep plus a RZR Turbo. I have a friend who towed about the same load with a V10 class A and it always did fine other than not passing many fuel stops. I have had multiple setups and each ones has there plus and minuses but I really love the class A as I don't have to stop near as much and the old lady can make me a sandwich while I drive.
ac48504e6ce4179489c320477c10482e.jpg
36e8e0b21f4fab6535ed31ebdccf49d1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GIZMO1 said:
I tow with a 43ft Tiffin and it does well, the trailer is a heavy 22ft deck trailer and I haul my 1 ton Jeep plus a RZR Turbo. I have a friend who towed about the same load with a V10 class A and it always did fine other than not passing many fuel stops. I have had multiple setups and each ones has there plus and minuses but I really love the class A as I don't have to stop near as much and the old lady can make me a sandwich while I drive.
ac48504e6ce4179489c320477c10482e.jpg
36e8e0b21f4fab6535ed31ebdccf49d1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

All from a fancy pair of scissors cutting paper. ::)

I agree though, I loved my 40' Fleetwood with the Cat in it, didn't have to wind up the RPM's on the diesel to make it pull. thumb.gif

ADMINISTRATOR

You will need to consider the towing capacity of whatever you get. I have a Class A with a Chevy 454 motor that I use to haul my Jeep on an aluminum trailer. It's only rated to pull 5000# and I average 6-7 mpg. I'm having issues with the brakes over heating when pulling the Jeep with no trailer brakes.

I pull a big rig and a transaxle buggy on a 28' trailer with my 2006 Diesel pusher. It has a 10k hitch and I know I'm probably just over that. It pulls great and with the trailer brakes, there are no issues with stopping. Only drawback is the length. It's a 40' bus and around 32' of trailer.

Attachments

• 788C31B3-4703-4022-BFE2-0394F342B29B.jpeg
    788C31B3-4703-4022-BFE2-0394F342B29B.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 0AB39AE5-89DC-407A-B2EA-2D8364FAE15C.jpeg
    0AB39AE5-89DC-407A-B2EA-2D8364FAE15C.jpeg
    457.8 KB · Views: 128
I have seen a few 2000ish model diesel pushers with a Cummins and Allison for 20-30K. This is what we are looking at doing. Trying to decide between a newer C or and oder A.

9ef2f84ec89ed6b302999be29de6888e.jpg

Just sold this 40ft cat 300hp pusher
It tows awesome!
I'm down sizing to a C class v10 (5.38 gears is the key to towing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought a v-10 class c with a hitch rated at 8000 pulls heavy duty trailer and buggy just fine.Make sure you have good trailer brakes.

money_pit_yj said:
I have seen a few 2000ish model diesel pushers with a Cummins and Allison for 20-30K. This is what we are looking at doing. Trying to decide between a newer C or and oder A.

would love to know the better answer to this as well. an older class A rv gets you way more vehicle for 35-40K instead of an enclosed trailer with an LQ imo. I just priced out a brand new 36' ATC gn (16' garage and 12' LQ) and was 64k :eek:

BustedKnucklefilms said:
Are you happy with your Tiffin? I've been looking at a insurance auction one to fix up with a 500hp cummins.

I love it, I looked at many different coaches when I was on the hunt for one and the build quality is so much better than some brands out there. John G was the biggest help to me on the search, he would send me information daily and tell me the good and bad of all brands. There are deals out there if you just keep looking, I purchased mine from an individual in the swamps of Louisiana for a song & dance. My rig is a Phaeton and has the 360 hp 8.3 Cummins, It pulls very good but the big hills will sow her way down. The hill leaving your park heading towards the interstate was a fun one.