• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Who tows with an RV?

Really appreciate all the info from you guys. We are going this weekend to look at a couple different dealers. The goal is to compare brands and quality to determine what we want to keep our eyes peeled for. Then maybe we can watch Craigs List for that one owner, low miles, stored indoors, every option at a give away price.

I think realistically we want to spend that $30k-$40k range and add an extending warranty and road side assistance. Like I said, this thing will prob live in a 5 hour radius of home. We have a goose for Colorado, Moab, KOH trips and such.

Wonder if they left me tow with it before I buy??? Really doubt that, but I can always ask!!!

I keep waiting for one of you weirdo toyota lovers to speak up...
2b690949a62dad0e2adfa27f536e9e3d.jpg

One of you fools has tried it or ls swapped one or something.

Hell, there was a dude on pirate back in the day that converted his geo to have a gooseneck hitch and hauled his rzr all over the place.
8cf712ad0ccb58d881dbbbf5d72a5800.jpg

ForMud said:
Everything I've read so far says a Super Class-C is want you need. They have a 10,000 lb tow rating.

that's what I'm seeing as well. same or better towing capacity and built like a truck. might seriously look into the jayco's since they came with the duramax/Allison combo.

Yup, Super C would definitely be the right way to go. Let me see if I can find one in my budget.

Poke said:
My junk from KOH 40' Freighliner Super C with 28' enclosed. NY to Cali was fine. 28' is just big enough for 2 buggies.

26410266578_7dd264a74e_c.jpg

I went through a similar search and ended up with more than I was looking for. Look at a Senaca https://www.rvtrader.com/New-Or-Used-Jayco-Seneca-35GS-3-Slide-Diesel-Super-C-RVs-For-Sale---RVTrader.Com/search-results?make=Jayco%7C2272274&model=Seneca%2035GS%203%20Slide%20Diesel%20Super%20C%7C764842168&price=50000%3A75000&page=1&layoutView=listView&
What engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked around at a lot of rvs for the fam. Mostly the 10-15k price range and everything I really looked at was under 35 ft. Couple diesels, couple gassers, always found something weak in the towing, gcwr, gvwr. Super C is where its at for truck like abilities and amenities to make the women folk happy. The rvs that had decent towing had crap hitches, or terrible gvwr when towing at or close to capacity or were big money and I have a hard time getting over my wallet when it comes to stuff like that. I finally decided I'm building one out of a cabover Pete. Big cam Cummins, 9 speed, tandem axle locked rears, air ride suspension and even an air ride seat (which I'm sure ill need another of for the misses. Tow what I want, where I want and finish out the interior the same way, my way. I'm no highly skilled anything but I know I can do better than the mass producing labor with Luan and a staple gun that some of them are built out of. Plus ill get to add my own personal touches.

We have a Lance 1131 camper in the bed of my F450. Works great b/c once we get to camp, we can offset the camper and use the truck/trailer or just the truck for trips into town. Much more manageable than a big motorhome. So far the only real issues I have with it, are lack of holding tank capacity and storage space, but it does work really well.

fl-krawler said:
We have a Lance 1131 camper in the bed of my F450. Works great b/c once we get to camp, we can offset the camper and use the truck/trailer or just the truck for trips into town. Much more manageable than a big motorhome. So far the only real issues I have with it, are lack of holding tank capacity and storage space, but it does work really well.
How do you think your set up would do pulling a 32' bumper pull trailer with 2 rigs?

I did the truck camper thing with a Lance 1181 using a 48 inch hitch extension and it was scary as heck. The truck was a 2012 F-450 with air bags and additional overload springs.
0adc92dab7349467ed928a385d24eb41.jpg
22b3bd78776e40ccefe77c60d50b3fcc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GIZMO1 said:
I did the truck camper thing with a Lance 1181 using a 48 inch hitch extension and it was scary as heck. The truck was a 2012 F-450 with air bags and additional overload springs.

That's to bad looks like a good setup.

GIZMO1 said:

You do know those slides go in when you're on the road, right? :flipoff1:

Surprised you got that beast to stay up at MM and not just sink in. I like your new setup better nowadays. :dblthumb:

ADMINISTRATOR

GIZMO1 said:

We've had a Lance truck camper since 1996. We flat tow our city jeep and tow our mtn jeep on a trailer. I don't know if you have one, but a wd hitch really helps with a trailer on a long extension.

98TJ said:
We've had a Lance truck camper since 1996. We flat tow our city jeep and tow our mtn jeep on a trailer. I don't know if you have one, but a wd hitch really helps with a trailer on a long extension.

I ran a WD hitch hooked to a 48 inch super truss extension and a 20k rated super hitch. Honestly it could have been me but I never felt comfortable with the setup.