• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Who tows with an RV?

Poke said:
It's a Dynamx DX3 http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=299&Image=10335

8.9 Cummins
350HP

Bully Dog Tuner set at 10% increase in HP & TQ so if its advertised right, 385HP. Probably the minimum acceptable about for pulling 10-14LBS

Hills put a hurting on it? I've got a 40' haulmark with a cat 3126 and it struggles on big climbs with 10k behind it. I have to constantly remind myself that I'm driving a house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay99 said:
How do you think your set up would do pulling a 32' bumper pull trailer with 2 rigs?

I have a 30' bumper pull I pull behind it, but so far I have only had about 11k lbs total behind it (trailer +1 rig). Pulls fine, with no airbags, weight distributing hitch or anything special. I made my own hitch extension. I am admittedly a little leary about pulling 2 rigs.

GIZMO1 said:
I did the truck camper thing with a Lance 1181 using a 48 inch hitch extension and it was scary as heck. The truck was a 2012 F-450 with air bags and additional overload springs.
0adc92dab7349467ed928a385d24eb41.jpg
22b3bd78776e40ccefe77c60d50b3fcc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's expensive slide in!! :****:

Travis said:
Hills put a hurting on it? I've got a 40' haulmark with a cat 3126 and it struggles on big climbs with 10k behind it. I have to constantly remind myself that I'm driving a house.

Surprisingly no. I would not call it a hurting. Trailer is rated for 14k, hitch for 20k. From NY to KOH we had a loaded RV and a packed trailer (U4 car, utv, dirtbike, tools, spares, 200gal gal, generator, etc...) It would slow down on some hills but it wasn't a dog by any means.

orig.jpg

Here is ours F350 drw, 9' 10" Lance and 16' PJ. Only thing I would do different is get 5,000 lb axles.

Just an update. Trying to buy an RV is a major headache. Salesman don't know there product, and local lots are filled with program vehicles. These are X rentals that are 1 year old with 12,000 miles or so. They carry no warranty, have some wear and tear, and dealers discount the units just enough to make you think about purchasing. By the time you add a third party warranty the price difference has you second guessing your self.

Buying a new car, you seem to have to hide from the sales guys, everyone follows you. In RV land, these guys don't seem to care. No greeting when you walk in, vehicles are locked, can't just browse, act of congress to get someone to help.

Here in Dallas we have McClains and Camping World. Kind of a monopoly on several brands that we are interested in. The 3rd party warranty companies want a check out inspection to verify all systems are good. I get that. They want you to use a major dealer for this. I get that. Dealers say if you don't buy from them, they don't offer service. Too busy with their loyal customers. Makes it really difficult to buy from an individual, nobody wants to help.

And my favorite, the fees!! McClains sales guy told me they charge you to do a walk through after the purchase to go over systems and operation. New or used. After you spend $65k, they offer no support to you. I'm not stupid, I can push all the buttons and make stuff happen but just the same, I am new to this. When you buy a new car, they at least give you the nickle tour.

Sorry, I'm just grumpy with how things are going. Wife and I gonna spend another Saturday hitting up some other dealers.

Oh, the original idea of $30-$40k, not really gonna happen. Took us about a week to realize that if you want something nice, you have to pay for it.

I know most major cities up here usually have a boat & RV show during the winter. Maybe you could find something like that close by, might be easier to tour more models??

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Have several friends that have bought at salvage auction. Couple year old **** for pennies. One guy flew to Denver, stuck a piece of plexus from HD in front of him with duct tape and whatnot and drove back to the Missouri line. Saved like 35k and repaired himself except the new windshield. Depends on your time/money situation.

JEEPKEVIN said:
Oh, the original idea of $30-$40k, not really gonna happen. Took us about a week to realize that if you want something nice, you have to pay for it.

You have to go well into 6 figures to get nice. All that stuff you are seeing on those lots is shiny hot garbage.

scrambled said:
You have to go well into 6 figures to get nice. All that stuff you are seeing on those lots is shiny hot garbage.

are you saying that about all RVs in general? we're going to look into the Jayco super C (duramax/Allison) and the 2006-2007, low miles seem to run 50-70k

1tfrot said:
are you saying that about all RVs in general? we're going to look into the Jayco super C (duramax/Allison) and the 2006-2007, low miles seem to run 50-70k

A brand new Jayco Super C is like $180,000-$200,000.

1tfrot said:

I've seen a few that age in the 30-40 range....But they had higher miles.

I'm half tempted to get a c6500 - c7500 cap and chassis of that year and throw a big ass slid in on the back of it. Depending on the length of the frame/wheelbase, goose neck or bumper tow with it.

Just a follow up on this. We purchased a 2015 30' Class A with the ford v10. This rig is on the Ford F53 commercial chassis with the 19.5" wheels. The vehicle seams to really pull its self nicely down the highway at 65 even with the strong winds we have had recently in Texas. Definitely get pushed around by the big rigs and other big box trucks passing you on the hi way but little stuff like a steering stabilizer and playing with the swaybars should help.

It does have the frame extensions in the back but are only about 3'. They are pretty substantial but gonna add some gussets and an X brace to make me feel better.

I went ahead and ordered the 5 Star tuner thing to give me more gitty up and hopefully help the trans stay in gear a little better.

Currently trailer shopping cause all I got is a 32' goose for the toys. Gonna start thread on that to get yall's thoughts.

Just a follow up on this. The V-10 pulls it's self pretty good. Cruise speed empty or loaded seems to be about 65mph. The 5 Star Programmer is a must for the V-10. It really wakes it up performance wise, helps out with the shift logic, and might have added 1mpg on average. We are pretty consistent at 8mpg. The Rv fights the wind and it doesn't seem to matter what we put behind it, it still keeps at 65mph except for steep hill or really strong headwinds, I'm good with that.

I would have never considered a truck or Excursion with a V-10 as a tow rig but I'm pretty impressed.