• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Winch experience

slidillon

I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I'll ask again anyway. I am looking into getting a winch for my TJ and was wondering what experiences everyone has. Warn seems to be very popular, but they are pretty expensive.

I was thinking a 8k# would do the job. Would you go with a series wound motor, or permanent magnet? Any opinions appreciated and smart ass answers always welcome:D

Get A warn 9000. I've outpulled many a 8274-50 with mine. It kicks ass.

For a TJ, and 8K will do just fine. If you want total pulling power for more than just vehicle extraction, get the biggest winch you can afford. Warn's TABOR line is pretty inexpensive and they will do the job.

And if you want all out asswhoopedness, get a hydraulic winch. The only downside is the rig has to be running for your winch to run.

A winch is a winch. When you are stuck, it doesn't matter how fast it pulls, as long as it pulls.

slidillon said:
I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I'll ask again anyway. I am looking into getting a winch for my TJ and was wondering what experiences everyone has. Warn seems to be very popular, but they are pretty expensive.

I was thinking a 8k# would do the job. Would you go with a series wound motor, or permanent magnet? Any opinions appreciated and smart ass answers always welcome:D

It depends on what kinda rig its going on really (as a base for what type of winch to get). But I always say 9k for a non full size rig is the key...

Warn 9.5ti been running stong for 5/6 years and has not let me down. Even pulled crusty out once.

I knew someone with a mile marker and it overheated very quickly. After it would cool it would pull again but that can't be good for an electric motor. I don't know how long it actually lasted before giving up. I would not get one. I also have a friend witha T-max winch. It seems to work well but I have not seen it used a whole lot so not really a good evaluation. Warn is tried and true.

The guidlines for determining what size (rating) of winch you need is to take your gross vehicle weight and double it. That is the size of winch you should be looking for.

As for brands, Warn is the **** as far as I am concerned :cool:

PowerPlantHP_1.jpg

How bout this new warn PowerPlant HD? It's a winch, it's a compressor, it will cook your dinner and open your beers for you. :clappy:

I ran one of the first release MileMarker Hydro winches when they first came out. I really liked the idea...P/S for powering the winch...blah blah blah...

The thing did pull like a tank...BUT...it was painstakingly slow, so I always just lashed up the slack cable. Also if your steering system was not up to snuff your winch capabilities dropped drastically :looser: . If you over taxed your fluid by not having enough cooling capacity...you lost poundage on your winch capabilities. Even with a big cooler and Royal Purple $$ fluid...it was becoming a nuisance.

On my current rig I have an 8270 (non-freespool 8274) upright...BY THE BEARD OF ZUES that thing is scary. Pulls hard, pulls fast, and is so common parts can be borrowed from another 827x's series owner in a pinch...

I was a die-hard preacher of the MM Hydro line in my youth...Too bad it took me so long to see the virtues of a high caliber electric model...

My list in order:

Warn 827x Series
Ramsey Patriot 9000
Warn 9500
Warn M8000

mumblewood said:
I like my warn HS9500I, its fast and powerfull
wish I could find a hs9500 for sale...those things are few and far between though and get snatched up quick when somebody does sell one

I have been running the same 8247 for almost 20 years and never let me down. the only thing i have changed is the cable once.
you might ask GartTJ but i think he told me that all the 8000 & 9000 series have an over heating problem if your trying to winch out as in lowering yourself or someone else. Travis burnt his up twice doing that i remember...

Latest posts