• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Winch experience

KarlVP said:
Get A warn 9000. I've outpulled many a 8274-50 with mine. It kicks ass.

For a TJ, and 8K will do just fine. If you want total pulling power for more than just vehicle extraction, get the biggest winch you can afford. Warn's TABOR line is pretty inexpensive and they will do the job.

And if you want all out asswhoopedness, get a hydraulic winch. The only downside is the rig has to be running for your winch to run.

A winch is a winch. When you are stuck, it doesn't matter how fast it pulls, as long as it pulls.

cough cough bullshit cough

warn 8274:stirpot: kicks ass on all other models....

Hip said:
cough cough bullshit cough

warn 8274:stirpot: kicks ass on all other models....
I'm gonna have to side with Hip on this one. :flipoff: My 6 year old 9000XD still works fine though, sticky solenoid and all. :flipoff:

KarlVP said:
A winch is a winch. When you are stuck, it doesn't matter how fast it pulls, as long as it pulls.

I'm going to have to completely disagree w/ hotKarl on this one.....

on my rig.....FAT....by ony of the std 'rules of thumb', I should be running a 12k winch and nothing less....
but they are the slowest things in the world.....and I've been in a couple situations where having a winch w/ a fast unloaded linespeed has been a definite safety feature....

I'll take faster over stronger every time.....you can always double it up when you really need it...

--B

Never, and I say never get a 8274.....

(These things are hard enough to get a good deal on already, dont get others wanting them):rolleyes:

Two things:
Get bigger than you need.
You get what you pay for.

I like my Warns, they have never failed me.
I was always able to sell them to upgrade.
I have a 9.0Rc :cool: Due to the weight issue.
I use a slip hitch and drive a sami.
If you don't mind the weight by an 8274

Harvester of Sorrow said:
I ran one of the first release MileMarker Hydro winches when they first came out. I really liked the idea...P/S for powering the winch...blah blah blah...

Lol.....this brings back memories.

I don't mind pulling other people's cable. Unless they have a slow ass winch :flipoff:

Winching is the bad part of wheeling. Why spend any more than you have to reeling your rope/cable back in? 8274.

myself i run a ramsey rep 8000. the twin to the warm m8000. its an entry level winch, but works when ever i needed it. many people thought it was a harbor freight or mile marker mile from looks at first because i had the motor wired up in the engine bay. once they saw it pull they releized it was not. ill compare a ramsey and warn anyday but in the end the majority run a warn and there is a reason

I have an old Jeep winch on my Scrambler, it is made by Warn (8274), it has never let me down. I have a Warn 10k on my CJ-7, got a good deal on it, and it works great. :;

How many ramsey winches dont have power out? Take this into consideration. Also, afaik any tj needs a newer style warn winch. At least a 9000xd but a 9500 ti would be better..Just my 2 cents, Thats all.

Does anyone have any experience with a Superwinch? For the price of a M8000 you can get a Superwinch EPi9.0, which includes a snatch block and at least on paper has specs rivaling a Warn XD9000i. Per Superwinch’s website:

Superwinch EPi9.0

Line Pull Rating:
47.1 @ 33 Amps
14 @ 110 Amps
11 @ 200 Amps
9 @ 230 Amps
7.5 @ 260 Amps
6.4 @ 350 Amps

Faster no load speed (47 Vs. 38 fpm.) and generally 50-100 less Amps draw

Wire:
125’ of 21/64†thickness (Slightly thicker then what Warm supplies 8.3mm Vs. 8mm)

Weight:
114 lb (one heavy sucker!)

On paper at least it looks like a good winch, just about 30 Lbs. heavier and 2†wider then a Warn. I’ve also seen it said that it has an External Break and their for no drum heating issues. Though I don’t really know enough about winches to know if this is exclusive to Superwinch, or if Warn has this too. So does anyone have any experience with this winch?

A winch is a winch. When you are stuck, it doesn't matter how fast it pulls, as long as it pulls.[/QUOTE]

I have an electric winch that way even if your vehicle eng is not running it will still work, it just might get you out of a tight spot. It just depends on how much you are thinking you might use it.

those have an outstanding reputation. I have not met an owner of one that didn't love it.

I've got a Pierce worm-drive with an 11" drum. you know ... in case I need to dangle off a cliff like the dudes in "The gods must be crazy" :cheer:

FiFo said:
Does anyone have any experience with a Superwinch? For the price of a M8000 you can get a Superwinch EPi9.0, which includes a snatch block and at least on paper has specs rivaling a Warn XD9000i. Per Superwinch’s website:

Superwinch EPi9.0

Line Pull Rating:
47.1 @ 33 Amps
14 @ 110 Amps
11 @ 200 Amps
9 @ 230 Amps
7.5 @ 260 Amps
6.4 @ 350 Amps

Faster no load speed (47 Vs. 38 fpm.) and generally 50-100 less Amps draw

Wire:
125’ of 21/64†thickness (Slightly thicker then what Warm supplies 8.3mm Vs. 8mm)

Weight:
114 lb (one heavy sucker!)

On paper at least it looks like a good winch, just about 30 Lbs. heavier and 2†wider then a Warn. I’ve also seen it said that it has an External Break and their for no drum heating issues. Though I don’t really know enough about winches to know if this is exclusive to Superwinch, or if Warn has this too. So does anyone have any experience with this winch?

I have a Milemarker 9000, it is slow but does the job. I am looking at getting an 8274 and moving the MM to the back.

Mark

Latest posts