• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Work- What you guys do to afford this hobby/sport

Well ain't got a bad buggie yet but about to start working on it. But NUCOR Steel just started a month ago but I see a bouncer in near Future, :woot:

Yeah I ain't got a bad buggy. Right now I'm doing an engine swap, new trans, cutting it up in rear to make it a 4 seater and new wheels and tires. I've even started a side business cause the old lady put me on a budget for buggy parts and that budget gets its wad shot really easily on the first of the month. After its gone I gotta spend my side business money.

I work for the phone company, s o works for ticketmaster... 3 kids, house, and wifey's car payment make parts money pretty tight. building a buggy right now that has like 3 new parts on it, everything else used or traded for. I learned a lot on the last ride and can do a lot of the stuff I paid to have done on the old ride, so that helps. the main problem I have is time to work on it... anybody have an extra day in the week they can lend me?

Just started a security/low voltage business back in January. Thats why my rig is on the market :****:

I'm self-employed Ford Diesel mechanic and the wife is a Nurse. It's alot of hours in the Shop. But its all worth it to hear my 4 year old yelling out the names of the buggies and drivers. Weve been very Blessed!!!

B.DRAKE said:
I'm a Aerospace Machinist make a good living but never get rich :****:

Well at least you can't with a stay home mom, but I wouldn't take nothing for her being home with little man :dblthumb:

I use to be one of den.

Now I am in school at auburn/ co-oping.

I work in the refuse industry. Used to operate a landfill gas energy plant. But that shut down. Now I just work on the trucks.

^Aka why I currently have (half) a pile of parts. ^Why its not done

bushhog750 said:
Yeah I ain't got a bad buggy. Right now I'm doing an engine swap, new trans, cutting it up in rear to make it a 4 seater and new wheels and tires. I've even started a side business cause the old lady put me on a budget for buggy parts and that budget gets its wad shot really easily on the first of the month. After its gone I gotta spend my side business money.
The first day I met you BUSH was the day after the last day I ever worked :****:

broncoparts said:
I'm self-employed Ford Diesel mechanic and the wife is a Nurse. It's alot of hours in the Shop. But its all worth it to hear my 4 year old yelling out the names of the buggies and drivers. Weve been very Blessed!!!

This man should be loaded. Plenty of them Ford diesels to work on.

I made a failed attempt at being a machinist and now been making paper for about 10 years. I started out with an 87 wrangler and collected parts until I could afford to have a chassis built. I often wonder how long I can afford this hobby. :****:

Airline pilot. Wife's a nurse. Itl takes a lot of time gathering parts and time to finish it. Im no bouncer I like to go slow. But they sure are fun to watch I'm currently building a family buggy since I have 2 boys. My wife would kill mr if I built something with less than 4 seats

Y'all keep workin hard. My Obama check keeps me goin. Sounds like y'all didn't vote for him :flipgotcha:

I'm a project manager for light rail construction. My problem is we are a national contractor so that means I have to go where ever the project is, which means we move every 3 to 4 years. That makes it tough to set up any kind of shop to be able to work on my own junk.

Only one way to afford a buggy. LOTS of hard work!

You either work long hours to pay someone to build and maintain your buggy, or you work long hours to build and maintain your buggy!

The guys who race Ultra 4 NEVER SLEEP. They are always in the shop fixing what they broke last week to get ready for next week. Talk to some of them. It's nuts how many hours a week they spend in the shop..... And hold down full time jobs.

You want a nice buggy..... Get ready for LOTS OF HARD WORK!

I have a normal 1 ton, chevy powered cj7 on leafs. I'm a Multicraft Maintenance Tech. For Mead Westvaco. I have a 3 y/o and my wife stays at home. Good vehicles and a decent house with a garage on a small lot. I work 60-80hr weeks but never really worry about money and I'm able to save. We can do what we want and i can provide my family with a good life. We(myself, wife, son) wheel about once a month or once every 2 months, it's enough for me as I love to do other things that include my family also.

I'm an electrical and instrumentation troubleshooter at a large chemical plant. I have to work lots of OT to afford the hobby, which leaves me with no time to enjoy it. I'm currently on my 7th day straight of 12hr shifts, and I've got 20+ more to go before I get a day off. :woot:

There's no real way to afford a hobby. It either makes you money or cost you money.
I have often wondered myself how those guys run the Srrs stuff. You c em break expensive
Parts then back at it next week.