• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

YJ 4.3/4L60E conversion

$20 and Schwab dismounted the whole thing, threw some bead glue on both inner and outer beads and replaced the valve stem. It was worth it to just have it done.

I drilled and put a rubber grommet on the floor as I proceeded to run the cable up for the shifter. That's not as simple as just running a cable from point A to point B. The cable length will not change. So the curvature needs to be spot on (if I want the shifter and center console in an exact place). :mad:

I found a place to stuff the computer so I'll mount that in and pick up a big package of nuts & bolts so I'll throw the front fenders back on.

If I don't get it to a muffler shop soon, I'm not taking with me on Memorial Day. :looser:

:cheer: :cheer:

I am soo close!! I really got alot accomplished tonight and I'm stoked.

I did all that was planned and then some.

I installed the fender flares, new nuts bolts and lock-washers.

2012-05-16_17-12-16_883.jpg

I zip-tied all the wires, replugged in all the stuff that was on before (lights and crap), and found a place for the computer... It's a wiring mess but I spent time using solder and heat shrink.

2012-05-16_17-12-36_404.jpg

I mounted up the PIN connector and the check engine light.

2012-05-16_17-13-19_686.jpg

I grommeted up the AIS and got that in place (only sensor left is the O2). I also securely mounted up the intake.

2012-05-16_20-06-59_576.jpg

I connected the shifter. It fell right in place. The console needs to be secured but it ended up exactly where I wanted it without having to move the hole forward or back. I didn't get a good picture of the hole but it looks like I got it right the first time.

2012-05-16_22-09-00_693.jpg

I need to find a 12v switched for two wires; the ignition and the computer. I've been just wedging them into the battery and pull it off when I want to shut it down.

Tonight we ran it for a few minutes... maybe 3-4 minutes... The computer started doing it's thing which was really cool. It was late and loud so we shut it down. Tomorrow we'll time it and I've got to figure out how to get it out to a shop.

Still need a front D/L, still need to wire up the lockers, still need to wire a ton more stuff and then see if the engine, transmission and transfer case are all happily conjoined...

Like I said in the beginning, I'm close! :cheer:

Today I pulled the drivers seat out and vacuumed a few years worth of Elbe, Evans, Naches and Walker... There's Morton and Rimrock and anything dirty (but in Washington State). The Jeep needs to go visit Johnson Valley, Rubicon and Moab!!

2012-05-17_16-56-16_91.jpg

Bolted the console down securely

2012-05-17_16-57-36_432.jpg

I put both the seats back in and it is tight in there. Stupid old Bestop Super Seats are soo wide... But it's in.

We located the white with yellow wire and I soldered in the ignition and computer to it.

The Jeep starts, runs and shuts off via a key!!

I tried putting it in gear (I have no brakes yet) but it wasn't moving. Work will have to be done on the transfer case linkage... The shifter still isn't in a good place... I'll really need to figure that one out. I think the T/C was in neutral that's why it didn't move when I put it in gear. It's for the best anyways... brakes are important.

Here's a video of it SOOO close to completion.

[YT]http://youtu.be/kw8soqR8aFQ[/YT]

Click here for video

edited to say: I can never get a video to link from YouTube. I'm using those [YT(things)]

We called the muffler guy and we'll see how soon I can get it in there. AAA will help on the tow there, I'll figure something out to get it back home. It's close, but still not ready for the street.

Here you go

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kw8soqR8aFQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here you go

Thank you!!

--

Heck ya!! It sounded JUICY!! Juicy and with extra sauce!!

I ran it for a while again today, to burn that paint into the headers and add more fluid to the power steering and the transmission.

The T/C shifter is really a bitch, but I'll worry about that later... I got it into a gear so that's close enough.

My rear brakes sucked and I fixed a nicked hardline. Went to bleed the brakes and one bleeder is SOO seized on the that even a drill and easy out wouldn't get it out. Rebuilt calipers from O'Rielly's is $27.00 each. No brainer... They'll be there tomorrow and the only things left is, the Monday appointment at the exhaust shop and someone needs to cut and lengthen the front driveshaft. (New u-joints since I'm at it).

I'll wire up whatever is on the center console on my own time and I think that will concude the build. That and a final video of it wheeling! Maiden voyage may be Memorial Day weekend (at Elbe).

So keep checking out this post! Even I can't wait to see this on the road. :cheer:

Last edited:
Swing by the WTF camp this weekend and I'll buy ya a beer to congratulate you on the build! :awesomework:

Will you be at Elbe??

I still don't have a front driveshaft and it runs like ****!! So I have quite a lot of hours before the weekend, but I have a motorhome that needs some attention too.

Last edited:
Yep, just look for Casey's class A Bounder and the WTF banner. I'll be there all weekend. :beer:

My fingers are crossed... The exhaust will be done closer to the end of today... I've got to tune it and make sure whatever isn't right, is... I've only got tonight to do it because tomorrow I've got to spend time getting tires on the motorhome and slightly prep that.

So what's it look like done? Is there going to be room for the drive shaft?

They grabbed a 2" dia tube and mocked up where the front driveshaft will be. So there had better be room for it. And to add to that reply above... front driveshaft in a day?? I don't think so, I may only be 2wd out there :(

I'll try to take pics if I get to the muffler shop early enough (and if it's still on the rack).

They grabbed a 2" dia tube and mocked up where the front driveshaft will be. So there had better be room for it. And to add to that reply above... front driveshaft in a day?? I don't think so, I may only be 2wd out there :(

I'll try to take pics if I get to the muffler shop early enough (and if it's still on the rack).

Did you need a longer one?

Did you need a longer one?

I got a new one... New to me. New yoke and splined end... little bit bigger diameter tube (2" x .083), 2.5" longer than the stock one. It's in, fit perfect!!

old
2012-05-23_15-43-54_365.jpg

new
2012-05-23_20-29-33_129-1.jpg

Made while I waited (well, while I had an early dinner) by Dave at Advanced Driveline in Yelm. Now get this, I drove from Covington to Puyallup to get the Jeep. It wasn't ready and the suggestion to head to Yelm seemed to be a good idea... 45 mins later I was there. It was later, but Dave took care of me. He got one made and I headed back to Puyallup.

When I first got there, I took a few pictures. They aren't that great.
2012-05-23_14-36-38_288.jpg

2012-05-23_14-36-31_788.jpg

Jeffery at New Sound in Puyallup loaded MY Jeep on HIS trailer. He locked up the trailer and put the key on my keychain, then hid them. What trust!!

This is what I arrived to see, at his shop, after hours....

2012-05-23_18-18-29_702.jpg

I did take a picture of the angled end. Fits right where I want it, right between the shackle and gas tank.

2012-05-23_18-41-31_750.jpg

So with the use of Jeffery's trailer, and my wife's Yukon, I got it back to the shop.

2012-05-23_19-17-54_973.jpg

I cleaned up some wires that were a bit close. Replaced a messed up breather filter and started it up.

It runs like ****! :wtf: It was late... I was tired... I have all the plans for tomorrow to prepare for Friday and it sucks!

I have a major water leak from a heater hose (I'll look into that one), but I'm a little worried one of the injectors I thought might be bad, maybe is bad. :mad: I may run out of time for this weekend...

Let's see what I can do tomorrow.

It's not happening.... :(

I wasn't able to make it back to the shop to even look at the Jeep today. Tomorrow I'll take the kids camping on the other side on Snoqualmie pass with a neighbor, and try this again some other time.

I've gotten frustrated with rushing around spending all sorts of money (like crazy) and to have the Jeep not be right. The balloon just lost a lot of it's air. I'm not down and out, just down...

So keep those beers cold for me! Save me a spot for the next time! Man, I really hope I'll be there!

You made the right call. I wheeled mine before I had the bugs worked out and ended up riding shotgun w/ Horus the rest of the weekend after mine took a ****. Have fun with the kids! :awesomework: My boy went with me to Elbe last weekend, this weekend is WFO!