• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Yota Hydro steer questions

grcthird

Birmingham, AL
School me on this, I don't really know much about hydro steer, traded for a yota buggy on 42's that has a stock pump with the orfice drilled out and single ended ram. Pump whines like crazy all the time and it doesn't steer worth a darn. Really would like to get it where I can turn it with one finger. Looks like there is only 2 options for a good pump, Trail gear and PSC. What are you guys running for fluid in your setup as well?

I had good luck with the tg 1650 pump on my old 4runner buggy.

It's easy to swap any Saginaw TC pump onto a Toyota. I put one from a Grand Cherokee on my last build (integral reservoir). Not sure how well the integrated res is going to work out, might end up swapping to a remote reservoir for more fluid capacity.

There are several write-ups on doing the swap, I've put the info in the build threads I've done also.

TBItoy said:
It's easy to swap any Saginaw TC pump onto a Toyota. I put one from a Grand Cherokee on my last build (integral reservoir). Not sure how well the integrated res is going to work out, might end up swapping to a remote reservoir for more fluid capacity.

I remember seeing you do that with the Jeep pump. Could you just add another reservoir in the return line maybe?

Re: Re: Re: Yota Hydro steer questions

grcthird said:
I remember seeing you do that with the Jeep pump. Could you just add another reservoir in the return line maybe?

I'll just convert the pump to remote res by tapping the pump and putting a hose barb fitting into it, or just swapping the pump for one from a cavalier or a TJ (factory remote res)

My current setup is stock pumped drilled out, with psc reservoir and a cheap transmission cooler pushing a 2x8 ram. No whining and really easy to turn. I am also using cheap ps fluid.

Most all TG pumps I have been around whine and give more issues than any stock pump I've seen

So how are you guys making the stock pump live/work? Smaller pulley? Mine is impossible to turn if the buggy isn't rolling and at 2000 rpms. Been looking at the PSC pump and reservoir system, but a properly set up stock pump, or Jeep tc would be easier to swap out in case of a failure.

Gerald I have the trail gear pump for the sami when we get done with it, and I am sure its gonna whin
talk to bj aka bamatoy to see what he drilled out and what size drill bit.

Re:

I had a stock pump drilled on my black truck, no issues, stock drilled pump on my silver truck no issues, TG pump on current rig no whine or issues. Went from a TG dual ended 6" to an 8" dual ended eagle machine and love it.
I am running a cooler with a fan tho.

grcthird said:
So how are you guys making the stock pump live/work? Smaller pulley? Mine is impossible to turn if the buggy isn't rolling and at 2000 rpms. Been looking at the PSC pump and reservoir system, but a properly set up stock pump, or Jeep tc would be easier to swap out in case of a failure.

The PSC and TG pumps are both tc pumps, so you could swap it out for a stock jeep pump if the need arose.

A smaller pulley for the stock toyota pump would help A LOT.

I used a trail gear pulley on the jeep pump I put on the gremlin

Ive got the 1450 TG on my Samurai...hydro assist though. Yours being full hydro is probably just asking too much of your pump. The other question is...what kind of reservoir do you have? If it's too small or if it's not set up correctly it may be starving the pump or it could be foaming the fluid and causing cavitation.

I was running the stock Yota pump drilled out prior to the TG pump. When I swapped them out it was a world of difference. The stock pump never would build enough pressure at idle. If I was in any kind of bind I'd have to rev the motor to be able to steer. Now it will turn at all rpm's without much effort. The only time my TG pump will whine is when I've been thrashing on it for an extended amount of time and everything in the engine compartment is just plain hot and tired :woot:

stock pump, 11 ci orbital and a 2 X6 single ended ram, a little noise but steers easy. I have run this way for 5 years. and a new buggy with stock pump, 9 ci orbital and a 1 1/2 x6 single ended ram also works well, But I don't like the orbital brand, It also may not be open center.

Keep in mind the fluid differential of a single ended ram.

The fluid level in the reservoir will rise and fall from full extension to full retraction of the ram.

I never had any problems running a TG 1650 pump, TG 8" double ended ram (limited to 7-3/8"), 9.6 cu/in NON-reaction orbital, stock Toyota remote reservoir, and a 6 pass cooler on the 4runner. I was also running JAX Type Z hydraulic fluid.

I haven't had a chance to try out the steering much on the gremlin, because the motor dropped 2 cylinders about 30 min into the first ride, so I rode around with the throttle WFO all day just to keep the truck moving, 5000rpm constantly... so the steering was getting hot.

billstoy said:
stock pump, 11 ci orbital and a 2 X6 single ended ram, a little noise but steers easy. I have run this way for 5 years. and a new buggy with stock pump, 9 ci orbital and a 1 1/2 x6 single ended ram also works well, But I don't like the orbital brand, It also may not be open center.

dang, 11 cu/in orbital on a 2x6 ram must steer super fast.

dang, 11 cu/in orbital on a 2x6 ram must steer super fast.
[/quote]

should have tried the 11ci with the 1 1/2 x6 ram , to fast. the 9ci with the 1 1/2 is about the same as the 11ci with the 2x6 they both steer easy and not to fast.

Thanks for the info guys. Went ahead and ordered the PSC kit with the pump, reservoir and lines from XRR. Just don't have the time to mess with doing it cheap and piecing it together.

Latest posts