• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2010 KOH Updates/Pics

I posted in that thread talking about it. The rule specifically says another competitor can tow you off course to get out of the race course but can not tow you down the race course or to a pit.

4.13: No entrant vehicle shall be towed, pushed, pulled or otherwise moved or transported by any non-entrant vehicle or spectator group on the official course while an event is still in progress. Another race-entered vehicle or an official Hammerking Productions Inc. vehicle may push, pull or tow the race-entered vehicle out of the flow of traffic but may not push, pull or tow it through the race course, a pit stop or a checkpoint. Occupants of a vehicle that is pushed pulled or towed clear of traffic must make necessary repairs to leave, under their own power, the area to which they were relocated. No vehicle may be pushed, pulled or towed by another vehicle within the last two hundred yards (200 yards) of the finish line.

Bottom line is nobody thru a red card. I think its awesome that Nick towed him to the pits and he changed out his tranny and still finished 19th. I bet there wasn't anybody else who changed out a tranny and finished in the alotted time.

Cole said:
Bottom line is nobody thru a red card. I think its awesome that Nick towed him to the pits and he changed out his tranny and still finished 19th. I bet there wasn't anybody else who changed out a tranny and finished in the alotted time.
That is true to change a tranny and all....
It's no big deal to red card someone out of the top runners anyway right...Now that being said rules are rules cutting corners, towing, outside help etc....IMO should be DQ'd.....There's drivers that didn't get assistance and finshed farther down the grid but did not choose to red card. Why should these racers finish farther down than someone that gets help? Forget the red card IMO that's not right....

onealdodge said:
That is true to change a tranny and all....
It's no big deal to red card someone out of the top runners anyway right...Now that being said rules are rules cutting corners, towing, outside help etc....IMO should be DQ'd.....There's drivers that didn't get assistance and finshed farther down the grid but did not choose to red card. Why should these racers finish farther down than someone that gets help? Forget the red card IMO that's not right....

I agree entirely. It takes away from the legitimacy of the race if the rules are not followed to the T. It's like last year when they let him run once he was already out. Someone needs to wipe Shannon's crap off their nose and realize it's no longer a small circle of friends out there having a good time. Nothing against Shannon, he's a great guy from what I know of him, it's the organizers/ governing body that needs to quit that crap. My opinion.

Shannon change out the tranny at the pit I was at. We saw him getting towed in and thought well it's over for him. Then like an hour later maybe less he can screaming by and he was gone.

Droopy said:
I posted in that thread talking about it. The rule specifically says another competitor can tow you off course to get out of the race course but can not tow you down the race course or to a pit.

4.13: No entrant vehicle shall be towed, pushed, pulled or otherwise moved or transported by any non-entrant vehicle or spectator group on the official course while an event is still in progress. Another race-entered vehicle or an official Hammerking Productions Inc. vehicle may push, pull or tow the race-entered vehicle out of the flow of traffic but may not push, pull or tow it through the race course, a pit stop or a checkpoint. Occupants of a vehicle that is pushed pulled or towed clear of traffic must make necessary repairs to leave, under their own power, the area to which they were relocated. No vehicle may be pushed, pulled or towed by another vehicle within the last two hundred yards (200 yards) of the finish line.

SO if the rules state that another racer can assist in pushing/ pulling or tow the other racer "out of the flow of traffic", why was he able to be towed all the way BACK TO THE PITS... :flipgotcha: that noise. So he broke the rules right there, right? :dunno:

Jeff and Dave have it figured out really. Jeff has been around desert racing a long time and used to run a regional rockcrawling series out west. They learned to take all the liability off themselves for rule breaking besides tech. This year they used stickers on a grid that was on your car to mark checkpoints. 19 checkpoints total with 20 being the finish. So, you are forced to run the course and get the stickers. Good idea. But, they leave all the other stuff up to the racers really and the red card rule. A fan can go and say to Jeff or Dave, "Hey, I saw racer X being towed to a pit by racer Z". Well, that don't do anything. People can say they saw anything. A red card has to be turned in by a racer to protest that. Then what happens? A meeting to decide. Then what? Nobody knows because to my knowledge only one red card was turned in since they started doing this. Shannon was out of the race already when it was thrown last year, so it really didn't matter and didn't affect anything in that race.

If I red right the pit they towed him to was like a mile away or less. So it is not like the towed him 10 miles throught the course and had a line of cars behind him or anything. They had one of their pit crew drive the tranny from main pit to BFG, but it is nuts they changed a tranny that fast and had him racing. He was not competing for a top spot and nobody reported it so nothing was done. Droopy is right about Jeff and Dave, it is a racer's race.

I didn't know the rule when I saw him being towed to the pit. He was literally 40 feet down from us in the pits. When he pulled in I looked at Stevie and said let's time this. It took one hour and 45 minutes to change it. We got a picture...one of our guys walked by. There was 4 guys on one side of the vehicle all working front to back on something different and 4 guys on the other side working front to back all doing their own thing. Shannon was in the driver seat leaned down doing something else. Thought it was awesome the teamwork to get it out without people on top of each other. Not to mention the ten guys standing there ready to hand tools, etc. Yeah, an hour and 45 minutes is awesome, but when you have 9 people all working on one car to get the job done, it will go a little bit faster than most.

Yeah Matt, he might have been close, but he was towed to pits. Bottom line is that nobody red carded it probably because nobody knew. :****: Only reason I knew is I read the rulebook cover to cover bored in the truck on the drive home and started laughing when I read that line.

YEah rules are rules, but looks like no red card, no foul. Lots to times people get caught in the moment and don't think about it. I am sure he thought there was no foul in being towed to camp by his brother, I wouldn't have.

Looks like they are all up in arms on Casey Currie now. Some blatant rule breaking going on here, like having spectators push the buggy side to side for traction while he is trying to go forward.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=864478

KOH 2010 Casey Currie Roll Over @ Sledge Hammer

Good pic of AC
KOH2010-22_WM.jpg

KOH2010-10_WM.jpg

I'll say it one more time.............It's their race and they will run it like they want to. If some racers payed good attention at tech,half would be pissed off bad damnit.We had to loop the shoulder straps a third time through the buckles while others drove up got their paaper work and drove off.I have no complaints about anything that happened well one thing,Cole worked me like a borrowed mule on his buggy but other than that it was what I expected to see.I've seen some of the wildest ways of cheating in the last 6 years that you could imagine.We had a good run and I would have like to known what would have happen if they didn't have a flat or just had the lug wrench to swap the tire.When to split times come out i can see just where they would have been with the run they had going.I've heard rumors they had moved in the top 10 before the flat and after limping back to main pit with a broke unit bearing I heard they fell back around 70 or 80 and he made it all the way back to 24 by the finish.What IF,What IF,What IF the race had been 20miles more.
I also would like to that those who helped get AC there, expecially Steven Oneal.......THANK YOU VERY MUCH for helping make dreams become reality.Well enough said let me get back to recoopin from truck lag.

Juan_Hong_Loe said:
Not trying to be a smart ass or sound like I'm boasting...On Tuesday we had AC's Transmission swapped in an hour and a half with 6 people. It's all about how the vehicle is built. ;D
yall must have taken a page out of the "brad kellogg book of transmission removal" :flipoff1:

Juan_Hong_Loe said:
Not trying to be a smart ass or sound like I'm boasting...On Tuesday we had AC's Transmission swapped in an hour and a half with 6 people. It's all about how the vehicle is built. ;D

Hell yeah. I'd rather piss kidney stones for 6 hours rather than tackle the tranny in our buggy. :****: There's always at least 3 of us and by the time it's out we're ready for bed. It's just part of the forever argument on what's stronger, what holds up longer, etc. Some cars have fully welded belly pans like ours. Sucks to take out a tranny I agree. But, the **** can get pounded and pounded and the chassis not tweak. Troy and the Badlands crew built them this way, so does Jimmy's and a few others. Randy always said he knows a trick on how to get it out in 45 minutes with two guys and sliding it out one of the sides...but I don't see it...at least not on our particular one. When we look at that option, it looks like a sqaure peg trying to fit through a round hole about half the size.

I hear ya Pops, it is there race for sure and they will do as they please. Hell as long as they keep giving away spots to their buddies and letting people buy their way in it will never be a race where everyone truely earned their spot. It is what it is, I know it will be harder and harder to compete in this race as it grows, for the little guy that is.

My belly is an bolt on deal and it is still easier to get it out the top than the bottom.