• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6.0 engine swap woes.

tonyt

just finished swapping in a 6.0 out of an 2001 chevy 2500.

harness from fuelinjectionconnection. computer programmed (can't remember who EOR had program it) to remove VATS, 2 O2s, a few other things.

it runs, but like crap.

idle is rough, almost like its got a cam in it. obdII scanner shows codes

p0300
p0332
p1638 also. - checked the alternator, voltage output is good.

checking the misfire info shows misfires on ALL cylinders.

has new plugs, wires, new O2's.

O2 data for the two sensors both read almost exactly even at 450mv or so. tested the O2's unplugged, and they are both "making" voltage. scanner shows hardly no real-time fluctuation in the O2 values. verified the wiring from the O2 sensors back to the PCM.

according to the scanner it never goes closed loop. coolant temp sensor reads up to 197 or so, fans kick on, scanner never shows closed loop.

I'm not all that knowledgeable on these engines, but my first inclination is a problem with the PCM.

any help with a push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Check fuel pressure? If the motor has sat up any the rails might be stopped up or the injectors might be clogged. Marty's motor did the same thing. Check that before messing with the comp. Also check to make sure the motor is grounded really good, this can sometimes cause glithes in the matrix. Other than that, thats all I can think of right now.

was his showing random misfires? watching the scanner log the misfires is freaky.

I THINK I'm gonna have a set of injectors to test with tonight.

harness is grounded right to the back of the heads. motor mounts are solid. has ground cable going from motor to battery. I'll put another ground between teh block and the body, just to be sure.

I am picking up a computer out of a buddies 6.0 this afternoon to swap also.

he's pretty up on the 6.0 and he's telling me something is defnitley up with the o2 values being flat and unchanging.

o2s should not cause that much of a problem. what kind of scanner are you using. can you get a misfire count, and fuel trim short and long with it.

scanner is some snap on scanner.

it has real time misfire counts and "historical" counts.

there is like a "timer" that counts to 100 and logs the count for each cylinder during that time.

ALL of the cylinders are logging at least a couple misfires during that "100 count" a few of the cylinders are logging as many as 20 misfires during the cycle. the HISTORICAL misfire data shows anywhere from 500 to 4000, depending on which cylinder.

the scanner shows that the PCM never goes closed loop. can't understand that.

close loop works off engine temp what does temp read around 85 to 90c is it the brick style snap-on or modis

engine temp seems to be working. gets up to normal operating temp according to the scanner. all the way up to 197. never goes closed loop.

I'll look at which model of the snapon it is. its red, with black rubber "grips" on each end. kinda shaped like a brick.

swapped in a buddies pcm out of his 6.0 rig. NO MISFIRES AT ALL NOW. not a single one. p0330 and p0332 are gone. still shows p1638

o2's still seem to be flat. and no change in the reading when I disconnect one of them.

I'll have to check on the fuel trim thing.

need the pin numbers for the o2 sensor wiring at the PCM if anybody has it.

01-04 truck 6.0

what I'm finding looks like the harness is pinned wrong for the o2's.

thanks. got the fax earlier. verified the O2 pinouts. they are actually correct.

O2's still all show 450mv on the scanner. do not fluctuate more than 30-40mv.

computer still not going closed loop.

jimmy has some guy that does them.

with my buddies PCM it ran MUCH better. his is programmed by jims performance. zero misfires. no more knock sensor code.

however the O2's still read flat.

need to check the input wire of the o2 to make sure the heaters are getting power at cool start up. also check your hot wire on the o2. i don't have a way to look right now ,but i will look in the morning to see what you need to look at. sounds like they missed something in the programming

still no fix for the o2 problem.

same readings with 3 different computers.

gotta be something with the sensors.

just checked the drawings you sent me again. just noticed something I missed the first time I looked at them.

for the o2's the drawings show

bank 1 sensor 1

C1--pin 29 and 69.-- that's good.
C2--pin 72 is supposed to be going out to the O2 sensor. IT DOESN'T. the wire from the 02 sensor in that bank that SHOULD be going to pin 72 is going to ground instead.

same thing on bank 2 sensor 1.

C2--- pin 74 is supposed to go out to the O2 sensor. IT DOESN'T. same deal. the wire is going to ground instead of that pin 74.

is that the whole problem with the o2's?

nope. ran a temp jumper wire from pin 72 to the wire on the o2 according to the drawing. no difference. still reading a flat 450mv.

the computer NEVER goes closed loop.

does the computer need to see o2 to go closed loop?

or does it start looking at o2 AFTER it goes closed loop?

what conditions are required for the system to go closed loop?

double re-checked all the grounds. harness is grounded to back of head. engine is grounded to battery, battery is grounded to body.

IAT is good.

****, this is pissing me off.