• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6.0 engine swap woes.

450mv is reference voltage you should get some form of switching out of the o2s. that system should go into close loop 1 of three ways engine temp, 197 should be high enough, or the o2s should heat up and start toggling lean rich and cause close loop or timer in computer. i will look at a wiring diagram shortly when i have time and see but it sounds like a ground is missing for input information?

on paper if all the other sensors are working and you have the wires right to the sensors now they should work. thats about all i can do on-line. i would need to see in person to do any more for you :dunno:

ok, new info.

got smart and went to the local ac delco distributor. looked up the O2 sensor for that model truck.

pulls it out, it looks nothing like the ones that are in my setup.

picked up 1, just to test it out and see if it'll do the trick.

swapped the drivers side out, and now instead of reading 450mv all the time, its reading like 10-15mv on the scanner.

I think I should get another one and swap it into the passenger side, and see if the computer will go closed loop and start adjusting the fueling based on the o2's.

is the 10-15mv a good reading?

Yes most definately get another one and see if that fixes it. LS based computers wont go into open loop until the front O2's get to a certain temperature. Being open loop shouldnt make it run that bad tho. Actually when you go wide open the computer stops reading your O2's. It can get a little more in depth than that, but thats the basics.

thanks for the help.

I didn't get a chance to go by the delco supplier to pickup another o2 yet. hope to grab 1 tommorrow.

hopefully I'm on the right track.

ok

1 new O2 sensor, from the ac delco guys. it is now reading 10-12mv at idle. gets up to 22-25mv under about 2200 rpm.

other, OLD sensor, still reads flat 450mv.

unplug NEW sensor and reading goes to 450mv.

looks like wrong o2s for sure.

now, is the 1 NEW o2 I got producing a VALID signal? a reading that low indicates LEAN condition, right? that does make sense, because it backfired a couple times through the intake this evening, which it has never done before.

my question is, should I get ANOTHER o2 sensor like the one I got from the ac delco guys and try it, and see if it totally fixes the problem, or do I STILL have the wrong o2 part number

the one o2 appears to be functioning correctly now, if its backfiring threw the intake that's an indication of lean condition

FUEL TRIM
The powertrain control module (PCM) controls the air/fuel metering system in order to provide the best possible combination of driveability, fuel economy, and emission control. The PCM monitors the HO2S signal voltage while in Closed Loop and regulates the fuel delivery by adjusting the pulse width of the fuel injectors based on this signal. The ideal fuel trim values are around 0 percent for both short term and long term fuel trim. A positive fuel trim value indicates the PCM is adding fuel in order to compensate for a lean condition by increasing the pulse width. A negative fuel trim value indicates that the PCM is reducing the amount of fuel in order to compensate for a rich condition by decreasing the pulse width. A change made to the fuel delivery changes the short term and long term fuel trim values. The short term fuel trim values change rapidly in response to the HO2S signal voltage. These changes fine tune the engine fueling. The long term fuel trim makes coarse adjustments to fueling in order to re-center and restore control to short term fuel trim. A scan tool can be used to monitor the short term and long term fuel trim values. The long term fuel trim diagnostic is based on an average of several of the long term speed load learn cells. The PCM selects the cells based on the engine speed and engine load. If the PCM detects an excessive lean or rich condition, the PCM will set a fuel trim diagnostic trouble code (DTC) .

s10me said:
the one o2 appears to be functioning correctly now, if its backfiring threw the intake that's an indication of lean condition

so if I get the other one replaced, and get the damn computer to go closed loop and it should start adjusting fueling to correct the lean condition, right?

looks like its good to go!

put the 2nd correct o2 sensor in, and whammo, PCM goes closed loop in about 30seconds, fuel trims start adjusting.

idle is a little high, but I assume that'll clear up after I drive it a bit and it goes through a couple warm up cycles.

losing my damn mind here.

new computer from Jim's arrived today.

slap it in, and now I've got a whole nuther set of ****ed up ****.

now I'm getting codes P0507B and P1336A. which I NEVER got before. never saw those codes with any of the other 3 computers I've had in this thing. (my shitty computer, a buddy's computer programmed by jim, and another computer that was programmed by the same guy that did my shitty one).

p1336a is CKP system variation not learned.

p0507b is idle high. which I understand why its throwing that code. it'll idle at like 650 then slowly it'll climb up to 1100 or so. tap the throttle and it goes back down. give it a few seconds and the idle climbs back up again. also, a problem that I've NOT seen with any of the other computers I've tried.

what the ****???

I'll be calling him tommorrow.

think I fixed the idle deal. loose connection at the pcv on the drivers side. sealed it up good. idle seems stable now. still a little high at 700, but it doesn't climb anymore.

talked to a buddy of mine today. he has the gm scantool at his shop that can do the CKP learn procedure. I'll get that done this wednesday or the next. everything is good to go other than that.