• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

A "Im bored with my CJ build" build

Stokes

Ok so I needed a break from my other build to slap something together to take care of my wheeling itch. My wife used to drive a stock 95 YJ with a 2.5 low output and 250K on it. I had since bought her a ZJ so this was a extra vehicle I used to commute when I didnt feel like driving my diesel. So the plan was to build this thing cheaply to be a capable snow wheeler and still be a good driver. I had a extra set of 37" MT/R Kevlars and it seemed stupid to try and trade them for something smaller. So the original idea was to build a 8.8 and polish the hp30 to handle the 37s. But the more i thought about it the more it seemed like a stupid idea. I have been apart of the wheelin culture for to stupid long to follow through with a D30 based build with any real tire :D So I sold the exploder 8.8 i bought for it and picked up a HP D44/big bearing 9" out of a 79 bronco for $300 and already felt better about the whole idea. Plus my gearing options had become so much better than the 4.88 cap a D30 gives you:D.
So to try and keep things cheap the only real spendy part of the build was going to be the gears. I ordered 5.38/5.43 gears, a 4.10-down D44 carrier
and planned on welding the rear nine. The idea of leaving the front unlocked ate at me too much so I bought a Spartan Locker for it.
To also keep on budget I wanted to keep it low to avoid needing a SYE, so the plan was 2-3" lift and cut the fenders. It so happend that around this time that Russ was parting out his heep so it worked out well to buy a large amount of the parts I needed off of him.

so heres the parts list
HP D44, 5.38s, spartan locked and chevy 1 ton TRE's 1.25 DOM steering.
Ford 9", 5.43s, lincoln Locked.
OME 2.5" yj springs front/rear
Rancho 9000 shocks
Front highline fenders off of Russ's YJ/Rear Highline fenders by me
SS brake lines all around
Ford Bronco Steering box w/ cooler

Anyhoo I suck at picks, thought i took more. but it turns out this is all I took through the build

Kept it sprung under to leave it simple. I moved the front 1.5" forward. I really wanted to move the axles as far forward and rearward without moving the steering box or the gas tank. so 1.5" seemed safe forward and backwards.

here it was the day my wife bought it

tacked in and checking angles

Spring pads welded

Knuckles reemed, steering cut to size and.....realized axle is too close to the steering box :booo:

Last edited:
So rather than moving the axle back to stock WB, I got to thinking about the old steering box off of my old bronco sitting on the shelf. the Pro's of it are its a good bit larger, in better shape, and sticks the pitman arm forward like the astro boxes. on my yj frame there was totally tons of room to put the box just behind the radiator. I didnt even need to drill through the frame as the sleeves for the bolts fit around the frame

with alittle research I found out that a Fullsize ford High pressure hoses have the right ends to go from a jeep steering pump to a ford box. so all that was needed with the high pressure hose was to cut some of the steel side down and re flare it shorter. it would have worked full length without cutting i think if you bent it around, just came out cleaner to trim to size. I also bent the low press line to go under the radiator where i put in a steering cooler off of a fullsize chev.

All I did to make the sector shaft work is I took the Ford end off and slipped the jeep sector shaft into it and welded it. then shortend the slip end so it still all fits

Modified Shock mounts to use a normal shock

oh yeah and heres the lincoln locker before the top spider gear got put on and welded in, did my best to fill the case fully with weld :redneck:

Last edited:
all said and done it drives very well. with the 1/2 ton axles, 5.43 gears/ ford steering box it stops/accels/ and turns as good as it did on 31s. I ended up only moving the rear axle 1" backwards before it rubs too bad. and even then i can see that it scuffs the tank skid. but heres some finished pics! the rear fenders turned out well!

I really dig the full width stance

and the only poser pic I have!

Last edited:
looks alot like my build...2.5 ome springs....waggy 44 with a detroit 4:56 gears...disk brake 8.8 with a lockright 4;56.......37x14.00x17 bias Iroks on 17x9 trailreadys..........drive it all day at 65-70 no problem...

Last edited:
Ha! that is funny, same rig different color! its your rigs dark side...
are you happy with the 4.88s? I was hoping the 5.43s would make up for the small motor but it still will barely do 60 in 5th.

I have a 4.0...so the 4:56 gears and 37s I can pull 5th on the flat ...but any hill im shifting into 4th...i could prob do 80-85 mph...but its white knuckle anything over 70...I have a set of 33s mtr kevlars I need to find some wheels for just for running around town....

oh ok yeah that makes a big difference. the 2.5l does OK, but definitely leaves something to be desired. the jeep does better at 70+ due it being slightly more in the power band. im thinking next on the list for upgrades is some kind of 4:1 if not 7:1 t-case. Im keeping a eye out for either a steal of a deal on a teralow kit or more preferably I want to find a 231 doubler kit and put a D300 behind it.

Latest posts