• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Actually rocking Thornbirds?

BroncoMike1

Names withheld to protect the inoccent. Would you rather have 33x10.5r15 BFG AT's or 33x12.5 Thornbirds for Walker in the winter?

I'm not opposed to that, they seem to be pretty new. I do drive to and from the trails though so they need to hold together at speed. Frankly, I don't know much about hot knifing.

:puke: thornbirds, my buddy rocks the old bfg a/t and they kick ass. How many thornbirds do you see on the trails. Not many if any. Theres a reason, they suck. By the way how did the 4.88 swap go. Wheeled it yet?

:puke: thornbirds, my buddy rocks the old bfg a/t and they kick ass. How many thornbirds do you see on the trails. Not many if any. Theres a reason, they suck. By the way how did the 4.88 swap go. Wheeled it yet?

That's kinda what I figured, just wasn't sure if they'd be better in the sloppy stuff than the AT's.

The swap was a friggin nightmare. The front passenger axle shaft is 80-82 only so I couldn't use my current shafts, which meant I had to go scrounge a shaft, finally found one at a yard in Snohomish. Then Napa doesn't list the right bearing so it took a while to figure that out, the bearing on the 80-82 is pressed on the shaft, the bearing post 82 is pressed into the third member. Ended up using the stub shaft from the JY axle and the slip shaft and outer shaft from my axle.

Now that it's done, everything seems to work great, haven't had it out wheeling yet though. My wife and I just had a little girl so it may be a while till I get a shakedown run. I'll say this, now that it runs 3 grand on the freeway, I'm having second thoughts on the Cherry Bomb. I really want to go 35's, that should get me just under 3 grand at 60 instead of just over.

Ill bet you could cut the hell out of a thornbird ad might do ok off road.. (better than a at) but then it would ware out even faster on the pavement..

Can't remember where I saw it, maybe on Pirate a few years ago. Someone cut the crap out of a set of thornbirds and they still sucked. The problem isn't so much the tread pattern but the actual compound. I would go with the a/ts. You'd have to cut the thornbirds up so much that it would be a bitch to drive them on the road and they would still suck offroad. You would lose twice.

Thornbirds rock!!!!!:redneck: No I would go with the a/ts. A buddy ran them on his rig an they surprised the hell out of me.

If you have both sets, and 33's fit your rig, I'd sell them both and buy a decent set of 33's.

I'd take the thornbirds and put a bunch of 1/2" sheet metal screws in them and beat the holylivingpiss out of them! :nana1::011::011::011: that is if you already have thornbirds I wouldn't buy then on purpose. Maybe even take them to a tire shop and have them sipe first then the screws. :cheer:

Last edited:
He He you all jest :D I'm pretty sure there's someone that would like to cut the fenders out on their Nissan crack finder and run the thornbirds whilst cranking the metal. Trust me, I've been to the swapmeet :D

Aww yeah!

10226974_201162718413.jpg

Whoah, whoah, whoah. Wait a minute, so you guys are saying Thornbirds suck then? :redneck: I think I'll just stick with the AT's for now and get a lunch box locker for the front and wait till I can swing some new 35's.