• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

another johnny joint?

mjp1080

I searched through all of the previous posts about these but could not answer my question so..... Has anyone had any breakage issues with the 9/16 through bolts on these. To me they just seem too small to hold up to any kind of impact. I saw they do have 3" ones with a 3/4 through bolt but they are not available in a forged configuration with the stud attatched. Just wanted to know because I'm going to coilovers next and I dont want the bolt breaking and subsequently destroying the shock body when the axle spins. any info appreciated.

I searched through all of the previous posts about these but could not answer my question so..... Has anyone had any breakage issues with the 9/16 through bolts on these. To me they just seem too small to hold up to any kind of impact. I saw they do have 3" ones with a 3/4 through bolt but they are not available in a forged configuration with the stud attatched. Just wanted to know because I'm going to coilovers next and I dont want the bolt breaking and subsequently destroying the shock body when the axle spins. any info appreciated.

I've been running the 2.5" & 3" JJ from Currie for over 7 years and in that time I've only rebuilt 1 and never had a bolt break.

This reminds me of one of the funniest threads I've ever read. Those biggest loser contestants should exhale before they weigh in.

I read that the 2.5" JJ ball is available with a 3/4" through bolt hole. That's just the replacement part, I haven't seen the whole thing put together available that way. If you find it assembled let me know, I'm interested.

no experience yet, but I was recommended to use the 9/16 on the uppers and 5/8 on my lowers, and I would never have a problem.

By the way, my scuba tanks float when they are empty and sink when they have over 2000 psi in them.:redneck:

I was using the small joint with the 7/16" bolt on my upper (single) arm and have had 0 issues with it breaking. I have broken axles, hubs and lots more but never the bolt.

And in my opinion most people don't understand the purpose of a bolt.

They are not there to keep from shearing. If that were the case, then you would use a pin.

Bolts are a clamp. They are there to hold things tight enough so that the friction on the mating objects is enough to keep the objects from moving. As long as the bolt does its job and the parts cannot move you will have no problem. If however, you do not tighten things enough and things can move, then you are using the bolt as a pin and you will break bolts.