B Gillespie

:fish:

Looking for a new kayak, debating between:

Jackson Day Tripper 12:
day-tripper-product.jpg

Wilderness Pamlico 135T:
boat-pamlico-135t-red_2211_general.jpg

Planning a few drug needle scavenger hunts on Buffalo Bayou. :ban:

I picked up a 2 person Old Town off CL a few summers ago and love it. Wanting to find a smaller single for day trips and easier to cart around solo.

What's the intended use? Fishing, camping, float/drink trips? I have done all that with mine (mainly shallow smaller rivers), some with some without a passenger. She's long at almost 15' I think, but manageable solo

That Daytripper looks nice, I like the openess of it. The Wilderness looks real long in the nose and would suck loaded with 2 people in shallower water.

Do the have any with MOTORS ON EM :flipoff1:

JUST KIDDIN.........them thangs are fun ,........I say # 2......more room for BEER & GEAR & flashemifyougotem

I bought aa 11ft swifty , it was too hard to handle in rough water.....
traded it back in on a Swifty 9.5 ...... it handles much better.

Just be careful where you go with it. I went kayaking once with my friends, Burt R., Jon V., Ronny C. and Ned B. It started out great and then things took a turn for the worst. We have sworn ourselves to secrecy about the events. I will just tell you that ole Ned had a pretty mouth. :puke:

So I can post about my stupid mistake from last week.

Decided I wanted a kayak. Have a friend that is into it, so I went and picked up a new Old Town Otter from Academy. Last Tuesday, 65 degrees outside, we decide to hit up a section of the Chattahoochee by his house in Valley. They were generating power, so the water was a little high and a lot fast. Had a lifevest in the boat, but not on. No skirt. Did some class two stuff, no big deal...barely got any water on me.

Found this spot where the water was moving super quick. Paddled upstream to it, and I was going to paddle up to it and turn into it so it could take me down. It MIGHT have been considered class one, but mostly just a strong strong current. As soon as I got into it, the side of the boat got sucked down. I panicked (this is my first time in a kayak) and flipped into the 40 degree rushing water. Instantly went into cold shock, couldn't move, barely could hold onto the kayak. I was 100 yards or so from the shore, but the water was pulling me down stream. They finally got me pushed over to the bank in what seemed to be a lifetime, but was actually about 2.5 minutes. I was purple from head to toe, and sick for about 4 days. Didn't realize how stupid/dangerous that was until after I got home and started reading about it.

Moral of the story: Wear a lifevest.

Forgot to mention, your body looks very strange when you are purple from head to toe. Thats how I looked when I got to the bank. Thank God I brought some extra clothes. Also lost my $500 seeing glasses. Made for an interesting drive back to Auburn

Probably go with the Jackson, as long as they will drop ship. Closest dealer is 5 hrs. from Houston.

I am not an adrenaline kayaker, just a leisure kayaker. I live on an inter coastal waterway and a bunch of canals. My wife and I each have one of these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dragonfly-Moorea-Kayak/10910811

They are the swiss army knives of kayaks. You can get sails, rudders, pole holders, everything for them and they are cheap. They take up only like 2 or 3" even with my fat ass on them which makes them good for shallow water. They are very stable and the back rest is really comfy and they are very maneuverable. Their drawback is that they are slow. We take them to the Blackwater river camping about once/year and all the people on canoes fly past us. But that river is also very shallow and we pass them by later when they are having to get out to portage and we float on by. They are light and have a handle so that you can carry them like a brief case. We're very with them happy for what we want to do with them but when it comes time for a serious camping trip we bring the canoe instead.

J. J.

My adrenaline kayaking is curtailed by my current locale. If I lived in CO, UT, or ID, I would be paddling a creek boat every weekend. Ran the Hell's Canyon portion of the Snake River last summer and Green River from Vernal to Green River. Snake was 73,000 cfs and HUGE water.

Bones said:
I picked up a 2 person Old Town off CL a few summers ago and love it. Wanting to find a smaller single for day trips and easier to cart around solo.

You need to sell me that 2 man unit.. I've been looking for one for a while...

B Gillespie said:
My adrenaline kayaking is curtailed by my current locale. If I lived in CO, UT, or ID, I would be paddling a creek boat every weekend. Ran the Hell's Canyon portion of the Snake River last summer and Green River from Vernal to Green River. Snake was 73,000 cfs and HUGE water.

b where are you located?? i live in Texarkana, paddling has been my drug of choice for the past 11 years or so. Mostly arkansas and oklahoma runs, but have paddled all over the U.S.

its kinda funny but boating is what got me into this, addiction. I was scouting some new runs up around clayton, realized my stock xj wasnt going to get me there, so I started building a river rig. its kinda funny that everyone thinks so much of clayton, (if they only new what was on the other side of the mountain) stuff over there doesnt belong in oklahoma :****:

oh and Jackson makes a great product, and there customer service is second to none.

Jackson makes a real nice kayak. I looked at the Pamlico when I was shopping for kayaks and the nose and rear is quite sharp if you get into any really swift water hard to turn and maneuver. Ended up getting a Dagger Blackwater and like it a lot. It is 12ft but I have had it on class3 rapids with no problem(10ft waterfall was easy with long boat). If you are thinking about doing any class 3 or above I would look at the Jackson All Water, it has the ability to run calm rivers and streams with the skeg or run the rapids with a skirt on.

<--- Houston

I thought the Pamlico looked a little sharp in the pics, but didn't want to judge without testing. I dig the Jackson All Water/Rogue, and there is one on CL in Austin, but I wouldn't have room for the pooch and beer. At first I decided on the Rogue, but I'm thinking I might be better off with a recreation boat like the Day Tripper that can hold a cooler, dog, and occasional female, then renting a river/creek boat when I go to UT and ID. I've heard that you can easily take a DT with a skirt down Class III, but I haven't witnessed it.

I've heard nothing but good stuff about Jackson, so I'll probably go with them. Probably have them drop ship it to me so I don't have to drive or pay sales tax. A friend is sponsored by them, so I'm trying to work a deal on a blem.

XJP, Texarkana must be nice for river running options. I spent a lot of time on the rivers in MO, many good choices from Texarkana to Hot Springs to Branson to Sikeston. Which rivers are good in OK?

xjpaddler said:
its kinda funny that everyone thinks so much of clayton, (if they only new what was on the other side of the mountain) stuff over there doesnt belong in oklahoma :****:

Ok, this statement makes me want to know what you are talking about ???

CheapJ7 said:
Bones said:

You need to sell me that 2 man unit.. I've been looking for one for a while...
Not a chance. I paid $400 for it with paddles n all.

Bones said:
Not a chance. I paid $400 for it with paddles n all.

Well Fine... You need to come to Bama this summer and do a weekend run down blackwater with us... We leave out early saturday morning, paddle/float/drink/fish all day... Gorilla camp on the bank that evening drink/eat/fish... Then its about a half day paddle the next day to the takeout at the frosty mug eatery... :eat:

It would be fun to get a large group together... Is a fairly fast moving creek, with dead spots to fish and such, several class 3's and a very fun 1/3 mile section with a few 4's... Its not too bad, seeing as how we regularly run it in my open bow pond canoe... :drinkers:

Blackwater creek, in walker county/ Jasper Alabama if anyone wants to look it up...

starts here
<http://www.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&hl=en&safe=on&ll=33.914606,-87.284017&spn=0.008708,0.013754&t=h&z=16>

Ends here
<http://www.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&hl=en&safe=on&ll=33.814347,-87.136173&spn=0.008718,0.021887&t=h&z=16>

Bones said:
I have two trips this summer planned. Neither take me far from home and both on a bike and by myself. **** all y'all :flipoff1:

Dang. I was hoping for another weekend bike trip.

Latest posts