• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

anybody run waterless coolant

Re:

100% worth the money if you need it!!!

I'm going to be putting it in my intercooler tank and running the coolant through a heat exchanger for my transmission and engine oil.

Its seems like the main purpose of it is to reduce corrosion, increase coolant life, and reduce system pressure. But I don't think its meant to resolve overheating issues? Just because it doesn't boil until 375* doesn't mean you want to run the engine any higher than 210 still. And its not like we are trying to get 30 years of service life out of our coolant systems in our buggy.

If you're just wanting it because your coolant boils over when you overheat wouldn't you want to resolve your overheating issue instead of just running the engine until it melts down?

What am I missing?

Re: Re: anybody run waterless coolant

Pssssssssssst. Your thermostat will still open at a preset temp. Primary use woukd be to reduce system pressure and therefore potentially stop some leaks that happen only at pressure. Save some seal and tube life as well potentially

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't heat transfer into a fluid more efficiently at higher pressures? So couldn't running at 0 psi actually make any overheating issues you already have worse?

Re: Re: Re: anybody run waterless coolant

patooyee said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't heat transfer into a fluid more efficiently at higher pressures? So couldn't running at 0 psi actually make any overheating issues you already have worse?

I don't think heat transfer in a fluid is dependent on pressure.

Pressure does raise the boiling point, which is the function of a pressurized cooling system.

I guess if you ran a fluid with a higher boiling point, you could run less pressure in the system, or even an open system (assuming you could still properly remove the air from the engine)

How would one go about actually reducing the pressure inside the cooling system? Isn't that a function of the restrictions in the cooling system & the pump itself?

patooyee said:

It has been a while since I took heat transfer but I don't think pressure has an effect.

bobo said:
How would one go about actually reducing the pressure inside the cooling system? Isn't that a function of the restrictions in the cooling system & the pump itself?

A cooling pump isn't a positive displacement pump. In theory, if there was a blockage in the system that completely stopped fluid from moving, the pump could continue safely spinning. The main pressure builder in a cooling system is thermal expansion and how much of it the radiator cap allows before venting. Which begs the question, how does thermal expansion not occur with this stuff? I guess it has to, they're just saying that you theoretically don't need to pressurize it to keep the engine cool. So to run 0 psi you would then have to run like a 2psi radiator cap and have a huge expansion tank so that it can relieve a ton of fluid?

bobo said:

It has been a while since I took heat transfer but I don't think pressure has an effect.

The radiator cap controls system pressure (it's a relief valve).

The water pump itself doesn't/can't create much pressure, think of it more like a "fan" than a pump (ie not a positive displacement pump)

D'oh, jj beat me to it

Its been a long day! Wasn't thinking about thermal expansion.

The coolant pump is a centrifugal pump which will build a certain amount of pressure at a certain flow at a given rpm. So I was thinking the only way to reduce the pressure would be to reduce the flow.

Overthinking **** as usual ::)

Honestly this is good stuff. But from my understanding it doesn't actually keep you cooler. We use it in out mx bikes. Its more for protection for when you are sitting still and waiting. you don't have to worry about boiling over. You are still moving heat and will cool right back down once moving.

payne97 said:
I think 1 of u 3 should call them and tell them it cant work
I just saw it and though it was cool or not cool I guess

I don't think we're saying that it can't work. I think we're saying that it's not for what you think it is.

It won't keep you from overheating. It will just make it so that you don't boil over when you do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Latest posts