• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ARB issues

charliesnyder

Alright I need your guys' help!

A few weeks ago while in Elbe I was informed my passenger side front wasn't spinnig even while the ARB was locked in. Thought I had an issue with an axle or hub so I ripped it apart to see what was up. All looked normal...

Any particular things I should check next? I'm fairly stumped and am a retard with ARB's.. What say you NWW?!?

Well I have issues with mine also not locking up. Mine is blowing air out my diff vent. Maybe someone can help us both.

First start by checking the control side. At the soloniod where the blue hose comes off it--there is a orange quick release mechanism--remove the hose. Turn the system on and make sure you get pressure out of the soloniod.

Lets start there,,

Mark there are 3 places you can get an internal leak. Piston seal, seal housing o-rings and depending on what version seal housing you have either the small or-ring or the feral..

Mike I've already pulled the line at the diff. Getting air there. Actually a bit of fluid came out of the line.

Not too sure but I think I have some fluid being pushed out of my breather on the axle.

Mike I've already pulled the line at the diff. Getting air there. Actually a bit of fluid came out of the line.

Not too sure but I think I have some fluid being pushed out of my breather on the axle.

Some oil in the air line is normal.

Hook it all back up. Access the breather hose and turn it on--you should not hear/feel any air coming out the breather.

The axle breather Mike? I'll have to check all of that tomorrow. I pulled the whole passenger side apart today to check my Longs out.

Anything that could be internally wrong? Kind of worries me that only one side wasn't locking in.

The axle breather Mike? I'll have to check all of that tomorrow. I pulled the whole passenger side apart today to check my Longs out.

Anything that could be internally wrong? Kind of worries me that only one side wasn't locking in.

To me it sounds like its not engaging. If your getting air pressure to the diff then something is leaking internally. I have fixed a couple (including mine) that broke one of the cross pins but that won't stop engagement.

But ya shove the axle back in (don't assemble the knuckle) to plug the big hole and then remove the breather--engage and see if you got lots of air coming out the breather.

Well no luck with the breather. Didn't feel any air coming out with the compressor on. Even sprayed some windex on the connections and breather to try and find leaks. Nothing...

Do I need to go ahead and pull the 3rd and take a look at the copper line and make sure the arb isn't damaged? Trying to get this Bitch on the trail Sat or Sun.

You can also hit it with shop air to make sure you are even getting the proper pressure to it. When you do you should hear the piston snap over/light clunk sound. But sounds like something is going on with the unit..

Ill b over at jps house this afternoon if you want to bring it by...ill check it out.

Hey charlie, put the axle in but leave the knuckle apart.

Lock the ARB up and then try to turn the axle/birf by hand.

That completely eliminates the possibility of it being a faulty locking hub.

An ARB will usually just not work and act like an open diff when acting up. Being that yours locks one side but not the other is odd.

If the driver side axle is locking (locked) then that means the locker is responding to air input.

The drivers side locks to the carrier and the passenger side can only spin free if the driver side is free as well.

Thats whay I ask if the axle is locked at the birf and checked by hand.

From your description it sounds like either the ARB is not working at all (open diff) and you only seen the drivers tire turn but did are not sure really.

or

Its working fine and you have a hub problem.

Its probably a bad o ring in the air cuppler on the carrier by the side bearing.

Then it would be locked seeing as how the compressor isnt running full time only cycling every 4-5 minutes.

Even with no air the passenger tire should drive on and off like a normal open diff would.

If the passenger shaft is not working at all its got a mechanical connection broke somewhere. (hub, shaft, sidegear, ect)

This is all based on someone elses diagnosis.

I didn't see all the stuff you told me to check Brad since I was in the garage already. I pulled the 3rd out and tried locking it in with the ARB compressor. Didn't make a single sound or noise when engaged.

I'll post up a few pics of the copper line. A little gualed up, thing I fubar'd it when installing.

Pics

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1314298867527.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1314298867527.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 89
  • uploadfromtaptalk1314298899183.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1314298899183.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 88