• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ARB issues

Stick a shaft in it and see if its a solid spool or if it is an open diff (turn one, the other turns the other way) or if either side spins free with nothing else locked or turning.

Stick a shaft in it and see if its a solid spool or if it is an open diff (turn one, the other turns the other way) or if either side spins free with nothing else locked or turning.
Well with the locker "locked" both shafts spin the same direction when I turn the input. With it open they spin opposite. So seems like the ARB is working.... I'm stumped. I just cleaned all the grease off the hub and didn't see anything out of the ordinary..

My compresser is running full time and blowing lots of air out the diff vent. I guess I need to take the diff out just not sure what i'm looking for.
Its a brand new arb with maybe 500 miles on it.

My compresser is running full time and blowing lots of air out the diff vent. I guess I need to take the diff out just not sure what i'm looking for.

Many reasons why its failed mark....

Well with the locker "locked" both shafts spin the same direction when I turn the input. With it open they spin opposite. So seems like the ARB is working.... I'm stumped. I just cleaned all the grease off the hub and didn't see anything out of the ordinary..

99 percent of people that disassemble a toyota locking hub to clean it or install chromo hub gears dont get them back to together properly.

If the locker is spinning the shafts and the birf or shaft are not broke then its between the nub and rotor.

I would look to the hub next.

Yours is somewhere inside.

Either the line or fitting is losing air to the inside of the housing or the seal/setup is the cause of failure.
Either way its a teardown to diagnose.

Charlies could have been diagnosed without pulling it out if he had read this early enough.

Well I almost guarantee that I am part of that 99%! I'll have to take a look at the hubs. I did pull them off when I put the 5th stud on.

I pulled the hub apart and everything seems to be right on. Functions how it should.

Free spins when unlocked and clicks in when locked..

Im starting to wonder if that hub wasn't locked in all the way. I checked and relocked the hub multiple times...

Well one of two things was wrong. Either I'm an idiot and don't know how to lock hubs in or I had put the hubs together wrong.

I put everything back together and inspected everything while I had it apart. Everything looks good. Hubs were cleaned and reinstalled so that seems to have fixed the problems.

Thanks for all the help and input. Learned a lot about ARB's today!

Are the RD132 really that quiet?
The old 23's you can see the actual engagement through a hole. And definitely hear it.
So can you get enough moisture from a compressor into the ARB to do damage?
Rust it internally or anything.