• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ARB leaking air into axle

RusM

So my rear arb wasn't working right last trip out, compressor was staying on and it didn't seem to be working well. I did some investigation and found air flowing pretty heavily out of the stupid trail gear bellows diff breather. Did some searching and it seems a likely culprit is the arb seals. What all does it take to replace those? Does the arb have to come out of the third? Any special tools needed? Are there any good write ups for this on the web for a Toyota 8" diff? :mad:

So my rear arb wasn't working right last trip out, compressor was staying on and it didn't seem to be working well. I did some investigation and found air flowing pretty heavily out of the stupid trail gear bellows diff breather. Did some searching and it seems a likely culprit is the arb seals. What all does it take to replace those? Does the arb have to come out of the third? Any special tools needed? Are there any good write ups for this on the web for a Toyota 8" diff? :mad:

3 places it can leak. Either the drum seal inside the carrier or the seals on the housing for the pass thru or the copper tubbing/fittings.

But yes you gotta pull the third at the very least. Make sure you leak check it after you pull the third and before you pull anything apart.

I have done dozens of ARB's and seen leaks in all 3 areas.

thats funny, that exact axle blew the trail gear breather at evans one nifht with me and jeremy, we thought it was the line till we saw the blown out bellows. it was a loud bang.

thats funny, that exact axle blew the trail gear breather at evans one nifht with me and jeremy, we thought it was the line till we saw the blown out bellows. it was a loud bang.

Huh? The same axle as in my truck or a random Toyota axle? :scratchhead:

Welcome to having an ARB locker. Mine leaks in the axle and at the compressor. I'll have my eye out for a 27 spline Detroit at the swap meet this weekend. Though there are some isolated cases of reliability I have found an ARB to be as reliable as a welded Dana 35 on 36 inch tires. The number of times I've heard " Okay guys, looks like I'm open/ open for the rest of the day" on the trail alone is cause for alarm.

I have never had a leak internal in all 5 ARB's I have ran---and non of the dozens and dozens I have installed--don't blame the unit blame the install....

Mines not leaking at all but my copper line is getting really rough... Do I need to replace the entire sleeve or can the line only be replaced?

I have done dozens of them and seen leaks in all 3 areas...

I have never had a leak internal in all 5 ARB's I have ran---and non of the dozens and dozens I have installed--don't blame the unit blame the install....

:eeek: just saying.

Like I said, there seem to be those with the nack for installing them so that they function with some kind of reliability. I've just seen too many problems with them out wheelin. When I bought the axles for my smaller ZJ I was excited and nervous about the ARB in the front. Now I have a cracked cheap Chinese compressor with a rats nest of wiring under the hood for all the solenoids and switches and crap and an open front diff that is lockable so long as I only use it for seconds at a time, or make sure I still have gear oil once it is back off.

I get the whole "options" thing. I'm no longer willing to give up so much in the simplicity and reliability departments to have a selectable when good driving gets me right around the drawbacks of a dumb locker.

Mines not leaking at all but my copper line is getting really rough... Do I need to replace the entire sleeve or can the line only be replaced?

i ended up cutting one too short once. ARB has a add on kit to just splice a piece onto your existing if you can find a place suitable to cut and splice. they even gave it to me free.

if it wasnt metric you could buy the stuff at home depot but 1/8 " is not the same as ARB line.

I have never repaired them--always replaced. The reason being is the internal dia of the copper tube is small and depending on what version ARB you are running its quite possible there is an updated air assy. Plus ARB got smart a few years back and tossed the round O-rings in the seal assy and went with ridged square cut seals--much better...