• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ARRRRGGH 02 superdooty

Damnyankee

Why does this crap always happen when i'm on a business trip?

Ok,2002 superduty 7.3.
running fine all day long, then pull out on a road and it decicides that it doesn't want to run anymore.

It will run, but absolutely NO power and sounds like its going to rattle itself to death.

First thing i'm having her do is change the fuel filter.
If that is no go, fuel pump.

Any other ideas

drain your sediment bowl?

thats the first thing i had my buddy do.

it ran a touch better but still no go

I'm doing all this via my buddy to whom i owe great gratitude.:awesomework::beer:

He fixes all my junk when i'm away...

Just hope he's no taking care of the missus too..lol :masturbanana[1]:

I'm doing all this via my buddy to whom i owe great gratitude.:awesomework::beer:

Have him clean the fpr screen:awesomework:

my buddy had the same problem on his powerjoke i think, we were driving on the freeway and the rpm's would drop, and if we stopped at the light the truck would shut off, so he had to keep it Reeved up, when we got back i asked him if he ever drained his sediment bowl and he asked me what that was? he has had his truck for about 3 years now :eek::eek::eek: so we drained that, there was a shitload of water in there, he took it up to schucks and had them hook up one of those scanner things, and i guess they diagnosed it to be some kind of a sensor going bad, he replaced that and now it runs like a champ. so it might be a sensor? :corn::corn::corn:

Crank position sensor is bad. So many of them failed the NTSB made Ford replace all of them for free. If you are not the Orig owner it may not have been done. The new ones still suck ass. Stop at the local dealer and grab 1 it only takes about 5min to change and they are alot cheaper than they used to be. DO NOT buy a CPS from Oreilly or Autozone unless it's a emergency!

Crank position sensor is bad. So many of them failed the NTSB made Ford replace all of them for free. If you are not the Orig owner it may not have been done. The new ones still suck ass. Stop at the local dealer and grab 1 it only takes about 5min to change and they are alot cheaper than they used to be. DO NOT buy a CPS from Oreilly or Autozone unless it's a emergency!

its not hte crank position sensor, its the cam position.

and i had it replaced under recall warranty since i've had it.

and if the cps is bad, it won't run.

i wouldnt change either of those yet, try to plug in a scanner into it, and figure out if its a sensor. :awesomework:

that was the plan.
but after sitting all night it won't start now.. go figure.

it would start when it was warm, but now that its cold it won't start.

if there is anybody in graham with a wrench let me know.. i'll tell you where it is.. my wife and buddy are there tryin to get it going..

I'm in mexico city.

Sorry, It is Cam Position Sensor. But, I work on a fleet of powerjokes and have seen many symptoms of a failing CPS ending up w/ no start.
Have them crank it and watch the tach. If no rpm's while cranking then the cps is shithouse.

Very common that the cps won't set a code. The computer just sees the engine not running but doesn't care why.

If you don't have a scantool. Fuel filters, cam sensor, and test batt voltage are the 3 most common problems with the 7.3PSD

Most guys I know w/ 7.3's carry a spare cps in the glove box because when they fail you're f-ed.

Last edited:
Yep crank sensor my neighbors truck did the same thing super easy to replace, he now keeps a spare and the correct wrench to fix it in his glove box

True, I carry one. Had one go out years ago..

I had mine changed under recall when i had the HPOP changed.

I was warned to carry one just in case.. but i didn't.

wouldn't have done her any good.. but.. (actually, the wife does pretty good. probably would be able to change it.)

I'm waiting for the call to tell me if the problem is fixed or not.

changing the fuel filter was no biggy. Needed changed anyway.