• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ask someone that knows more than you

bradzuki

When doing quotes for jobs, a lot of time I have to go at it blind because it's something we've never done before. All "they" care about is getting a number for the cost of work. I come up with a ridiculous amount and throw it at them to see what sticks. We win some, we lose some and that's ok because we have enough to keep us busy. When we win something that we've never done before, we have to come up with a way to pull it off very quickly as we usually only have about 2-3 weeks to deliver from the time the PO is issued. That's when the redneck ingenuity comes into play and we baffle the engineers with how we pull it off.

Currently we got a head's up to a job that is coming in. It has 2 very important parts that I'm not sure how we will manage to make. That's where Hardline comes into play. I thought I'd ask people that are smarter than me how they may go about doing something that I have no idea how to tackle. If you don't want to answer for fear of me getting rich from your idea, fine. If you do want to chime in, fine. If you want to do the job, I'll farm it out to you if you provide a cost that is within reason. If no one answers, I'll let you get back to talking about Josh's sister. flashemifyougotem We have done 2 jobs similar to this in the past, but using thinner walled pipe.

On to the question.....

We have 2 sticks that are 21' in length of 3.5" OD x 0.600" wall pipe. These need to be split lengthwise, leaving 2 halves of the pipe that are equal size. How would you go about this? Keep in mind these weigh about 400 lbs each.

As I mentioned, we have split 0.154" and 0.276" wall tube in the past. Once we even split it into thirds, which is not easy. Never have we had to split anything this thick. We used angle iron and a plasma cutter on the smaller stuff and had to bounce around a lot to prevent warping. With this being almost 5/8" thick, I see a lot of heat in it by doing it the way we've done in the past. We thought about trying to run it through a vertical bandsaw but staying centered and straight over 21' length just doesn't sound doable.

Open to suggestions......

16 setups on a standard mill with the tube on some tall stands with rollers on top.

That's how we split full sticks of tube at work.

Leave small connections between each cut to keep it from warping up

That's exactly what we were contemplating. A lot of work but it will get the job done. What cutter do you use?

And what work do you do where you have to split pipe lengthwise? I thought we were the only ones

Re: Re: Ask someone that knows more than you

bradzuki said:
That's exactly what we were contemplating. A lot of work but it will get the job done. What cutter do you use?

And what work do you do where you have to split pipe lengthwise? I thought we were the only ones

We just use/used an end mill. But you may not be able to lose that much material?

You could build a track roller saddle for a plasma cutter. Like a roller coaster, so it would self center and track straight down the tube.

We build machines. Production equipment, test/lab equipment, automation, etc

Every time I've split a tube down the middle both halves roll up like a banana. How do you keep that from happening?

We could do it but you probably wouldnt want to pay what it would cost. Our management have just about got our shop rate so high we cant get any work unless its high end aerospace work. But we have a 200" planer type machine that we have a mill head adapted to. Probably would use a carbide slitting saw and slide it once.

Re: Re: Ask someone that knows more than you

TBItoy said:
You could build a track roller saddle for a plasma cutter. Like a roller coaster, so it would self center and track straight down the tube.

That's what I was thinking too...but the plas would probably generate way too much heat though.

What about tacking a large piece of square tube to it to give you a straight/square edge then run it through the vert bandsaw, might be better than the angle iron?

If you had a vertical band saw you could take a piece for square tube that the round tube would barely fit through and clamp it down to the table centered and squared to push the pipe through to keep it cutting down the middle.

Built a jig to cut some wire one time on band saw. I used little bearings to guide it on a fixture before and after the blade. Might not be worth your time but would prob work. Couple pieces of angle and a few bearings and go to town.

AdamF said:
Every time I've split a tube down the middle both halves roll up like a banana. How do you keep that from happening?
When we split the thinner pieces, we laid it in some 3/8" thick angle iron and put 5 or 6 heavy tacks along the bottom to hold it in place. Using the hand torch on the plasma, we'd bounce around cutting slits about 18" long but not connecting them. We'd leave about 1/4" of material between each cut. After that cooled we came back with a cut off wheel and cut the 1/4" that we left and also the tack welds. They came out as close to perfect that you could get with this set up.

There is no way this will work on the thicker tube though, warping and the clean up would be too much. That's just too much heat to put into it.