• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Assault rifle discussion!

TacomaJD

I LIKE CHEAP STUFF.....
I am seriously considering buying an AR-15, the thought has been pondered of buying something like a cheaper Romanian AK-47, but I believe an AR would be more suitable with it's versatility. Just an "In case **** goes south" weapon. I've always been a tactical handgun and shotgun man personally, and have owned a few smaller caliber carbines, but never an actual 223/556 AR or 7.62x39mm AK. I would really like to avoid buying from a store and finding one used so I don't have to register it to my name so Obama doesn't know it exists in my possession. But I'm wondering some of you guys' views on buying a new assault rifle and having it registered to your name. With all the assualt weapons ban talk, I personally don't want one registered to me. It's almost cheaper to buy one brand new from a gun shop than it is to buy used, because sellers know they can jack the price since most buyers are like me and don't want them registered, so buying used has become the preference for most of the buyer market now.

For reference: Earlier this year, a friend of mine bought a base model DPMS AR15 otd for like $650 then of course decked it out with an optic, etc, later on....which would be my plan if I buy one new. BUT, new unit prices may have also gone up as I haven't checked the gun store most of us use locally to see current pricing. I am in the market for something more along the lines of a DPMS, Del-ton, maybe even Bushmaster, depending on what sort of stock/barrel combo it has. I'm not dropping a grand or more on an AR, not worth it to me and I'm somewhat knowledgable about guns, so don't give me the best of the best $$$ is the only way to go lecture.

So what's your opinion on buying new and having it registered to you? Would you, or would you try to find one used? I like new stuff, but I'm weary of what could happen down the road with assault weapons ownership rights....and if something does happen, I don't want the government to know I own one (or more) molaugh

I've been in Larry's a couple times, it's not far from my prosthetic dr.'s office. Comparing their prices, I've seen cheaper prices at B&B Pawn in Gadsden though. You can usually talk them down quite a bit off their asking price.

I've got a guy at work that builds them all the time, but he says parts are getting hard to come by. He said you can still get them, they just don't pop up as frequently as they used to, making the building process drawn out.....for which, I don't possess the patience for molaugh

Flat top with full picatinny front rail is my main preference as of now, like this. This is a DPMS

P1200003.jpg

I wouldn't worry about the government coming and taking your guns if you register them. There are millions of guns in this country. There will be a full scale war if the government thinks they are going to take any guns from Texas, Alabama, LA, Mississippi, Tennessee or Georgia. I am not saying don't buy one pre-ban, for they may not allow them to be sold any more. But, they will have a very difficult time getting any legislation through that requires you to turn in your guns.

lowbudgetjunk said:
I wouldn't worry about the government coming and taking your guns if you register them. There are millions of guns in this country. There will be a full scale war if the government thinks they are going to take any guns from Texas, Alabama, LA, Mississippi, Tennessee or Georgia. I am not saying don't buy one pre-ban, for they may not allow them to be sold any more. But, they will have a very difficult time getting any legislation through that requires you to turn in your guns.

:cough: :cough: Austrailia...

Anyway, for the most part I agree.

But honestly, for a SHTF gun, I'd rather have a .22 LR and 10,000 rounds of portable ammo, than .223 and 1000 rounds of ammo...

Keep in mind that Obama has said that he wants a "domestic security force at least as well armed" as the military. He has already started on that project by adding 16,500 armed IRS agents, arming Agriculture Dept. agents and laying in tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition that is not under the control of the military. Australia, Canada and Great Britain have all carried out mass gun seizures.

doctordick said:
Keep in mind that Obama has said that he wants a "domestic security force at least as well armed" as the military. He has already started on that project by adding 16,500 armed IRS agents, arming Agriculture Dept. agents and laying in tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition that is not under the control of the military. Australia, Canada and Great Britain have all carried out mass gun seizures.

Canada seizures? since when?

They "required" legislation, which got extensions and "amnesty", and eventually got overturned (long guns).

Obama hasnt did **** about guns, crazy teaparty religous people paint that pic, and they the ones to lookout for! anyways i hav colt ar-15 and a romanian ak-47, i enjoy the ak more cause alot less money to beat and bang around, and old military rounds are cheap for both guns. ak shoots as good as colt with open sites also

Good luck finding a new one right now. Everybodys buyin em up :****: I bought a new S&W 15 two days ago at the local sporting goods place, they had at least 6 or so to choose from. Walked back in there tonight and theyre SOLD OUT! Also, theyre rationing the ammo :puke:

TBItoy said:
:cough: :cough: Austrailia...

Anyway, for the most part I agree.

But honestly, for a SHTF gun, I'd rather have a .22 LR and 10,000 rounds of portable ammo, than .223 and 1000 rounds of ammo...

I just got rid of a S&W M&P 15-22 a few months ago. I really want an AR to go with my Remington 870 pump 12 gauge shotgun, Glock model 22 full size .40 handgun, and (hopefully soon to be) an AR15. Best apocalypse survival collection in my opinion. I do agree on all the pros of a .22 and would like to have another one, but really have my mind set on an AR.

This was the 15-22 that I had, fun little gun to shoot and inexpensive to shoot also. That's how I plan on decking a new AR out, but adding a tact. light under the barrel too. I love the flat top with full picatinny rail look.

414071_3961836526531_160205236_o.jpg

I prefer the classic "m16" look with the handle top rail, full shroud, tall peep sights, etc.

I'm "storing" my FIL's guns since I have a gun safe and he had some contractors remodeling his house (a year ago... pretty sure i've inherited some guns)

and i've got his Colt in this style. I like it a lot more than the M4 style S&W MP15 "tacticool'd out" that I used to have...

1289112556.jpg

of course, I may be "old school" with guns. I have a tendency to like the "orignial" version of most guns.

My favorites are a 6" full lug barrel S&W 686 .357, 336 Marlin lever action, Glock 17, any staight bolt mauser rifle, reminton 870 (short action), and the only real newer development in pump guns, Benelli Nova

Randys Rock Rods said:
Good luck finding a new one right now. Everybodys buyin em up :****: I bought a new S&W 15 two days ago at the local sporting goods place, they had at least 6 or so to choose from. Walked back in there tonight and theyre SOLD OUT! Also, theyre rationing the ammo :puke:

I been on the phone with my buddy all night while I been at work, he went to one local gun shop (small joint beside the owner's house) and said it was packed in there and 3 ppl were waitin in line to do paperwork on AR's. I didn't realize how crazy everyone is going over this. I've always been into guns and really just been waiting on a good excuse to drop the $$ on one, but it seems like I waited a hair too late. molaugh

My buddy just sold another guy I know (but don't know as well) a Del Ton flat top AR15 with a red dot scope, hard case, and extra 30 rd mag for $750 (which I would give that for it right now) but that douch wants $850 for it...he can go fawk himself, I'll tap every resource I know of and find one cheaper than that.....I hope molaugh

I mean if I found one of the m16 style guns really cheap (which probably will not happen) I might consider it, but I drool over the short barrel tac'd out m4 styles :****: Can never have enough picatinny rails molaugh

tacticoolAR15.jpg

TacomaJD said:
I mean if I found one of the m16 style guns really cheap (which probably will not happen) I might consider it, but I drool over the short barrel tac'd out m4 styles :****: Can never have enough picatinny rails molaugh

What makes me even more :puke: is these people pulling thes guns off the shelves. Cheaper than Dirt has suspended all firearm sales indefinitely, ****'s sporting goods have pulled all "military style" guns, and even some of the Wal-Marts are doing the same! :wtflol: