• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Atlas transfer case

Beerj said:
That does help. But on the flip side, what happens in high range? Too fast for crawling? Sounds like an 8 spd hd auto would be nice.

it rips :flipoff1:

2nd gear is good to probably around 80 just guessing :smoke: it's not the fastest thing out there but it'll hold its own

there are definitely times I crawl/trail ride in 1st gear high range. I switch back and forth (hi to low) quite often when trail riding. try to use low range as often as possible though since it's easier on things letting the gearing work for ya

and fyi, the trans was in great when it was torn apart to freshen it up when it went into the buggy. after about 2-3 years wheelin the way I do, it held up great with using high range often.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll just have to stick with low rang to start and maybe re gear the axles down the road to accent power adders.

Just got off the phone with AA. Seems they had a US military order to fulfill so mine got pushed back. A good bit of info I got was that now they're apparently universal cases and can swap from driver to passenger drop and back without needing any extra parts. That should help resale value tremendously. Maybe this isn't new but it's the first I've heard about it.

That's what the dude told me. Said it was easier for them to just make 1 case. Apparently the case just gets rotated so the center output becomes the input. Front output swaps to the other side. Also said some changes have to be made to the shift fork configuration so it's not backwards. But he soundrd like he knew what he was talking about. AA has a neutral stance towards support rings and he explained the difference with the race case.

Re: Atlas transfer case

tallnate said:
I'm ready to ride, you need revenge on Trail 65!

Agreed, looking forward to round 2. I've got the tranny out right now swapping the internals over into a new case. Went to GMP 2 weeks ago, last trail we hit was some new trail just to the right of copperhead. About 30ft from the exit I got hung up and when I backed up I turned a big rock over into the side of my trans and broke the bell on my 400.. Steve told me the WFO buggy spent the night there once in the same spot. Awesome trail tho, we'll have to run it with the rest of the ccb crew. thumb.gif

Ha!!! Good times. I left that bitch there to think about what she had done. Went back the next morning, tossed a belt on and she hasn't given me any **** since. Maybe I should make my kids spend the night in the woods occasionally...

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

Beerj said:
That's what the dude told me. Said it was easier for them to just make 1 case. Apparently the case just gets rotated so the center output becomes the input. Front output swaps to the other side. Also said some changes have to be made to the shift fork configuration so it's not backwards. But he soundrd like he knew what he was talking about. AA has a neutral stance towards support rings and he explained the difference with the race case.

So what is the difference with the race case?

I've never been inside one but on the regular cases, there are areas where it's steel surrounded by aluminum. Those areas can wallow out when subjected to repeated shock loads. The race case has steel inserts in those areas. The case itself though, isn't any different in terms of strength.

Got my case in finally. It made a huge difference from the 205 im happy with it I think. I gotta get it to some hills this weekend an see.