• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Atlas transfer case

kmcminn said:
Say you start of with a decent 6.0 harness and computer, realistically what would you think would it would cost to build a 500 hp engine. Hopefully some of you guys that have done it will educate me. Maybe a bottom number and a top shelf nber.

$400 for custom grind cam
$1800 for texas speed heads
headers (forgot what we paid)
couple hundred for dyno tune

probably forgetting something as well

Re: Re: Atlas transfer case

1tfrot said:

probably forgetting something a well
Screw those expensive heads. A good cam and tune by someone who knows ls will get it there or almost there. Not worth the money. Probably could get some l92 heads with a little work if it's not what you want.

Hell a Gen 3 5.3 on a cam with tune can get right about 400hp.

Mortalis5509 said:
Screw those expensive heads. A good cam and tune by someone who knows ls will get it there or almost there. Not worth the money. Probably could get some l92 heads with a little work if it's not what you want.

Hell a Gen 3 5.3 on a cam with tune can get right about 400hp.

better heads are necessary if you want more power with the lq4. I had the stock 317s and when I went to the TS heads it got me another 65hp to the ground. same tuner (who is very versed in LS motors) each time. I paid $1500 for them at the time (brand new)

we bumped compression quite a bit.

Haha I'm damn sure glad this guy already got his answer about the tcase before this massive derail came about! Good info well some of it! :flipoff1: Its Friday fellas!

1tfrot said:
better heads are necessary if you want more power with the lq4. I had the stock 317s and when I went to the TS heads it got me another 65hp to the ground. same tuner (who is very versed in LS motors) each time. I paid $1500 for them at the time (brand new)

we bumped compression quite a bit.

I thought i had read that with a little work 243 heads flow as good or better than any aftermarket head out there?

kmcminn said:
Say you start of with a decent 6.0 harness and computer, realistically what would you think would it would cost to build a 500 hp engine. Hopefully some of you guys that have done it will educate me. Maybe a bottom number and a top shelf nber.

1tfrot said:

probably forgetting something as well

I personally wouldn't mess with heads. For the budget conscious, start with a Gen IV truck 6.0 (LY6 or L96) with VVT. This motor will have the badass L92/LS3 rectangle port heads which will laugh at 500hp. They will have an 823 casting number. You won't even have to massage them. Then call up Texas Speed or Mast Motorsports, the top two in the game when it comes to VVT cams and get the cam of your choice. The VVT can be deleted easily if that is your preference but I like it. Be sure and upgrade valve springs to match your cam while you're at it. After a tune you'll be around 500-510hp. If you want more bump the compression but then we can start talking pistons, decking the heads, etc. But, that's basically the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to a true 500hp motor.

edit: You asked for $$$ figures. $5k or less easily (including cost of the motor), depending on what you buy the motor for and how resourceful you are you could cut that down by a grand or so. Don't forget to budget for all the parts your new motor will break when you have 500 real horsepower and not 500 internet horsepower

Re:

243 are the ls2 heads, is gen 4, and flow great. Not as good as the ls3 / 823 but 500 hp on a stock ls2 with just a cam is possible and dyno proven.

823 heads flow so good that they make aftermarket very unnecessary until way higher than 500. 823 heads can be bought from GM new for $1000 and will fit any of the 4" bore motors. So anything with 6l displacement or more.

redneckengineered said:
I personally wouldn't mess with heads. For the budget conscious, start with a Gen IV truck 6.0 (LY6 or L96) with VVT. This motor will have the badass L92/LS3 rectangle port heads which will laugh at 500hp. They will have an 823 casting number. You won't even have to massage them. Then call up Texas Speed or Mast Motorsports, the top two in the game when it comes to VVT cams and get the cam of your choice. The VVT can be deleted easily if that is your preference but I like it. Be sure and upgrade valve springs to match your cam while you're at it. After a tune you'll be around 500-510hp. If you want more bump the compression but then we can start talking pistons, decking the heads, etc. But, that's basically the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to a true 500hp motor.

edit: You asked for $$$ figures. $5k or less easily (including cost of the motor), depending on what you buy the motor for and how resourceful you are you could cut that down by a grand or so. Don't forget to budget for all the parts your new motor will break when you have 500 real horsepower and not 500 internet horsepower

Thanks that's what I was wondering.
Time to start rolling pennies!