• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Atlas transfer case

redneckengineered said:
I personally wouldn't mess with heads. For the budget conscious, start with a Gen IV truck 6.0 (LY6 or L96) with VVT. This motor will have the badass L92/LS3 rectangle port heads which will laugh at 500hp. They will have an 823 casting number. You won't even have to massage them. Then call up Texas Speed or Mast Motorsports, the top two in the game when it comes to VVT cams and get the cam of your choice. The VVT can be deleted easily if that is your preference but I like it. Be sure and upgrade valve springs to match your cam while you're at it. After a tune you'll be around 500-510hp. If you want more bump the compression but then we can start talking pistons, decking the heads, etc. But, that's basically the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to a true 500hp motor.

edit: You asked for $$$ figures. $5k or less easily (including cost of the motor), depending on what you buy the motor for and how resourceful you are you could cut that down by a grand or so. Don't forget to budget for all the parts your new motor will break when you have 500 real horsepower and not 500 internet horsepower

Some good info here. To get there you definitely have to have the right heads mentioned including the 243s or have work done. Springs are a must with much cam and watch the duty cycle of the injectors you have. Beyond 500 or 550 it starts to snowball on a 6.0 or 6.2.

That was some dam good Info. And straight to the point so even a Dumass like me could somewhat grasp it. I took a screen shot of it to look back. I have a question. To do that, what's a ballpark figure total for all that? Starting with NOTHING what would it cost me? (Looking for deals along the way not buying everything brand new.)

kushKrawlin said:
That was some dam good Info. And straight to the point so even a Dumass like me could somewhat grasp it. I took a screen shot of it to look back. I have a question. To do that, what's a ballpark figure total for all that? Starting with NOTHING what would it cost me? (Looking for deals along the way not buying everything brand new.)

I mentioned $$$ figures in my post quoted above. Resourceful redneck way, $5k or less. That's starting from scratch to having a 500hp motor. I'd say that's on the high side. If you like to scratch and claw for deals and don't give a **** about running a 150k mile engine and can wait for the right deals to pop up you can chip away at that number quite a bit.

I seriously can't overstate this though, if you're not building a rig around your new motor, you will be RE-building your rig around your new motor. All the parts and brackets and transmission etc you thought were built and could handle your 300hp or whatever motor you had, will **** the bed in short order with the new power plant. Ask me how I know. Plus I've seen it happen to others many times.

redneckengineered said:
I personally wouldn't mess with heads. For the budget conscious, start with a Gen IV truck 6.0 (LY6 or L96) with VVT. This motor will have the badass L92/LS3 rectangle port heads which will laugh at 500hp. They will have an 823 casting number. You won't even have to massage them. Then call up Texas Speed or Mast Motorsports, the top two in the game when it comes to VVT cams and get the cam of your choice. The VVT can be deleted easily if that is your preference but I like it. Be sure and upgrade valve springs to match your cam while you're at it. After a tune you'll be around 500-510hp. If you want more bump the compression but then we can start talking pistons, decking the heads, etc. But, that's basically the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to a true 500hp motor.

edit: You asked for $$$ figures. $5k or less easily (including cost of the motor), depending on what you buy the motor for and how resourceful you are you could cut that down by a grand or so. Don't forget to budget for all the parts your new motor will break when you have 500 real horsepower and not 500 internet horsepower

Thats why i pointed out the fact that i have an lq4. Not as much motor to start with compared to the ones you mentioned

Wish i knew some of this info a couple years ago. Would've saved me some $ lol

1tfrot said:
Thats why i pointed out the fact that i have an lq4. Not as much motor to start with compared to the ones you mentioned

Yep, LQ4 takes a little more massaging but they're cheaper and plentiful in the yards (although high mileage these days) so it really comes down to how you want to go about the build. Cheap ass high mileage LQ4, snag some used 823 heads and LS3 intake, throw in the cam of your choice...that would be a sweet little budget build.

kmcminn said:
What vehicle is the 823 heads off of?

Off the top of my head and in order of cheapest to most expensive LY6, L96, L92, L94, L99

This is the best article for looking up model years to search
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_small-block_engine

For the budget minded I'd be looking for an LY6. The L96 is identical but rated for E85 from the factory and came in newer models so if you see an L96 snatch it up. The L92, L94, and L99/LS3 are 6.2 aluminum blocks and are getting like hens teeth to find and if you do find one the owner typically thinks they are sitting on a pile of gold. It's almost more cost effective to go new crate motor from GM at that point.

kmcminn said:
What vehicle is the 823 heads off of?

anything Gen IV 6.0 or 6.2L has the LS3 style heads.. 823 casting. (Truck motors, Denali's, Escalade's, Express Vans have the heads on several different variations of the 6.0 or 6.2. LS3 motors in the cars have the exact same heads, just with different valve train and push rods.)

I went with an ly6 specifically for these heads and it's pretty much the tits IMO. I run all stock internals with the factory VVT and a Hartwig tune. My motor is very noticeably more powerful than other guys I ride with who have gen 3 stuff. When I spoke with Mast about cam options they encouraged me to keep the vvt, they told me that a stock ly6 with a good tune can and will product about 430hp.

I'm ready to ride, you need revenge on Trail 65!
[/quote]

Agreed, looking forward to round 2. I've got the tranny out right now swapping the internals over into a new case. Went to GMP 2 weeks ago, last trail we hit was some new trail just to the right of copperhead. About 30ft from the exit I got hung up and when I backed up I turned a big rock over into the side of my trans and broke the bell on my 400.. Steve told me the WFO buggy spent the night there once in the same spot. Awesome trail tho, we'll have to run it with the rest of the ccb crew. thumb.gif

So... you guys have thrown around a lot of #'s. What atlas ratio would you recommend for a stock lq4, th400, 4.10's and 43"s? I want what everyone else wants, the ability to crawl and also sling boulders when needed.

Beerj said:
So... you guys have thrown around a lot of #'s. What atlas ratio would you recommend for a stock lq4, th400, 4.10's and 43"s? I want what everyone else wants, the ability to crawl and also sling boulders when needed.
3.8:1

Good deal, thanks. I guess my next question is will that ratio still work well in the future when I start bumping up the power? Or at that point would I be looking at a 4 speed? By my logic, I would think power level wouldn't really dictate any change other than what gear I would start a hill in or what I want my top speed to be and how quickly I want to get there.

Beerj said:
Good deal, thanks. I guess my next question is will that ratio still work well in the future when I start bumping up the power? Or at that point would I be looking at a 4 speed? By my logic, I would think power level wouldn't really dictate any change other than what gear I would start a hill in or what I want my top speed to be and how quickly I want to get there.

as I stated earlier, I'm 3.8 atlas, 5.38s, 42s, ~500hp, th350. really no complaints at all, but would like to have a better top mph when in low range. it crawls great, it'll go get some in low or high range, but I can find the rev limiter fairly easy when trying to go fast in low range.

hope that helps some

That does help. But on the flip side, what happens in high range? Too fast for crawling? Sounds like an 8 spd hd auto would be nice.

Beerj said:
That does help. But on the flip side, what happens in high range? Too fast for crawling? Sounds like an 8 spd hd auto would be nice.
You aren't going to be able to run high range with 43's and 4.10's trans will hate it if you have enough horses to make it go.

Latest posts