• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Automtive Technician Tools

whiteman

So I just got laid off on tuesday (I was working for a plumbing company as an apprentice) I really dont like plumbing anyway.

I was offered a job at an automotive shop as an entry level Technician. I dont really have an orginized tool box so if I take the job I will be purchasing tools specificaly for this job. I will be buying a Craftsman Tool package to get started. Just wondering if anyone has advice on which single kit would be best to start with or which kits are best to buy and combine. Also if you have any advice, tips or pics of your neat and organized "Craftsman" toolsets I would love to hear or see.

Thanks

Lewis

NOTE: This is not a tool comparison thread, I will be buying Craftsman Tools. Thanks again

Good luck on your new adventure!!! I don't have what you're after to show, but I can say this from experience...If you find this is something you want to pursue as a career, and are stuck on Craftsman, I'd look into the Craftsman Pro box end wrenches...The standard wrenches are rather clunky (for lack of better terms)when used in this field everyday..I don't see a problem with getting started on an inexpensive tool set such as craftsman, but you'll see the difference as you progress into the higher end tools as time goes by...Me? I use the craftman wrenches for those one-off custom built wrenches!:; And the one biggest bitch I have with craftsman sockets is, they don't have a built-in nut/bolt stop inside the socket!:mad: Nothing worse than trying to get a boltor nut started in a tight area only to have the fastener disappear inside the socket! Another reason you'll find the higher end stuff is better in the long run...:awesomework: Again, nothing wrong with starting out, but as time progresses, and you think you want to make this a full time career---you'll be replacing craftsman with Snappy, Matco, or possibly even Mac (my personal last choice)...

Don't get me started on tools :haha:

Damn snap on :redneck: My new rather large tool box is starting to get filled again :haha:

Man! I agree dam snap-on! Every friday when he shows up i can hear my wallet crying, but tools are needed to get the job done!

Don't get me started on tools :haha:

Damn snap on :redneck: My new rather large tool box is starting to get filled again :haha:

****, I know!!!:haha: I just spent $60 on one of those Matco " no effort " non-insulated wire crimpers :haha::mad:---but damn they're nice!!!:redneck:

Thanks for the advice. I will admit that I have used Snap-on tools at my friends shop and I notice a big difference in quality. There prices are just to steep for this short time. Once my new career path starts I will just use the tools I buy at home. This really wont be a long time career, at most 5yrs.

If that's the case, I'd still get the best tools your wallet will allow!!! 5 yrs is a long time, and I'd bet you'll end up with a fair amount of brand name tools by the end...:; My buddy's got the Pro series wrenches mentioned earlier, and they actually are a pretty nice wrench..:awesomework:

****, I know!!!:haha: I just spent $60 on one of those Matco " no effort " non-insulated wire crimpers :haha::mad:---but damn they're nice!!!:redneck:

I bought--well 2 sets of stubby rachet/swivel wrenches today :redneck:

Been wrenchin for 6 years and ive got a pretty nice collection, mostly snapon but i do buy alot from the SK man also!

I been doin' this gig for pushin' 25 yrs now (****!!!:yikes:)
Sorry, but I fawkin' hate SK!!! (I'd rather buy Craftsman!!!)... I have a set of their short 3/8 dr wobbly impacts, and three are broken; plus I bought a set of their 1/4dr wobbly metric sockets (chrome), and although they are 1/2 the money of snapon, they clunky compared to the snappy ones, ANd I also have broken the 8mm once, the 10mm 3 times, and the 13mm twice all within 6mo's(SK is no longer up here...:mad:) ; so now I am replacing the 3/8 wobblys with snapon's as they break...and I bought Matco's 1/4 dr wobblies to replace the broken ones, now that rail is home, and I brought the partial snappy set I originally had at work then took home, back to work and filled the rail...

Well get yourself a good 1/2" impact gun Metric and standard sockets. If your starting as an entry level thats probably another name for a lube tech. So wrenches for pulling drain plugs and sockets for rotating tires.

Matco tool truck is the devil....( I think my balance is down to $140 or so.):booo:

I've always been happy with my Matco set. Of course I had to get the gunmetal/chip foose set, but they rarely get used... soo. :)

The best advice is to start out with the basics and add on from there. And by add on i mean buy every living tool on the planet.

**** I wish, I just upgraded toolboxes with the snap on man, only $5000 to go:mad:
Well get yourself a good 1/2" impact gun Metric and standard sockets. If your starting as an entry level thats probably another name for a lube tech. So wrenches for pulling drain plugs and sockets for rotating tires.

Matco tool truck is the devil....( I think my balance is down to $140 or so.):booo:

We work in the trade & we have an equipped shop @ home-sidework. (I'm automotive, hubby was into HD)

We own 3 set of the larger Husky hand tool set. They kick @ss.:awesomework:

We have some air tools from husky also (lifetime warranty) 3/8 ratchet, butterfly 3/8 ...... I have replaced my 3/8 ratchet twice, no questions asked. Same with hand tools.

Now for the impact guns we run IR (I think) ....
Test lights, snapon
Voltmeter I wouldnt be buying cheap either.
Just got a beautiful midtronics battery/charging/starting tester off ebay CHEAP.....

ToolBoxes, cant go wrong with costco, unless you have to move it alot . (PITA to move)

Keep your eyes on craigslist, lotsa guys retiring.:kiss:

p.s. I just realized you didnt want tool comparisons, but this is what we use in a hobby & professional environment....

Last edited:
**** I wish, I just upgraded toolboxes with the snap on man, only $5000 to go:mad:

He keeps pushing a box on me. But i'm holding off. Once he's paid off I'm done for a bit. I think my next box is going to be a Kobalt stainless. Like the ones you see at LOWEs. They have a nice roll around for I think it was $700. Just like the snap-on's and Matco's.. double roller all that crap.

He keeps pushing a box on me. But i'm holding off. Once he's paid off I'm done for a bit. I think my next box is going to be a Kobalt stainless. Like the ones you see at LOWEs. They have a nice roll around for I think it was $700. Just like the snap-on's and Matco's.. double roller all that crap.

I'm sorry, but Kobalt does not even compare...:eeek: IMO for a starter box or home box, they are fine...
As stated before, go check out CL, or even the local pawns---some really good deals can be had for a complete box full of almost everything needed to get ya started....:awesomework: