• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bad roll on Aetna sunday

bigsilly said:
Screenshot2010-11-09at94516PM.png

Screenshot2010-11-09at94635PM.png

I think I would be getting some nets on those doors too along with the harnesses & helment.
I know a guy who lost his arm bc of a roll and his arm flung outside of the buggy & landed on it, he's a great guy too and hate to hear anything like this happen to anyone.

This guy is extremely lucky to even walk away from a roll or ..... fall off a cliff like that! ! ! Looks like the safety issue on this has been beaten like a dead horse.. so the nets are my only .02 cents.

maybe there should be a "SAFETY" thread started to post situations and how to counter them...

So what I gather from this is a helmet is like training wheels for a kid. A real man with 25 years experience don't need one. And just look his head and ears show good proof of that. I see this thread as a positive argument for our sport. Matt might not have that outgoing personality but he is spot on this topic. However we wish you well for the next 25 years and pray to God your harnesses will not let that tough 25 year exp. Head keep from bouncing off that tube.... Good luck man!

Forgot to mention if you borrow a buggy or test driving one then you can bypass all safety equipment.... That still has me puzzled. Ok now I am done.

That video posted of Jimmy without a helmet is a long time ago, years and years. He knows better now as we all should.

I won't go into my story about my wreck at Harlan as it is all out there for people to search if they want to. What I haven't wrote about to date is the ramifications of it though.

Pinball was, to me, an easy climb. I had done it, and much more extreme obstacles, before. My wife asked me if we needed our shoulder harnesses. I told her no because I was almost certain I wouldn't roll. Obviously I was wrong. I think back to that day and how stupid I was. I think about looking over at her being unable to move and in the most extreme pain she had ever felt and how terrible I felt about putting her in it. Honestly, if she didn't need me I probably would have comitted suicide over the guilt I felt and still feel for that. I don't shed tears easily, I'm a pretty emotionless asshole, ask her about it. But I cried that day and only pulled it back together after telling myself how badly she needed me to be strong for her. The EMS had to cut the cage out of my buggy to get her out without further injuring her back which we found out later was broken in five places ... and it was all my fault.

Today as I slowly build a new buggy I contemplate how I am even going to handle wheeling in the future. She loves riding obstacles but her back will never be the same and I would really prefer that she just not ride any more obstacles ever again. Yet that takes all the fun out of it for her and what would be the point in her coming if she had no fun? I know she would do it for me, but would I ask her to knowing she would not have fun? This is an internal debate I have on a daily basis ever since and still haven't come to a conclusion. Will wheeling EVER be the same again? You could say, "Well, she can ride the easy ones." But Pinball WAS one of the easy ones to me.

Obviously, the new buggy has safety as a primary concern with safety items thorughout. 5-point harnesses, helmets, 5 high-end fire extinguishers placed strategically within easy reach, rollcage padding everywhere, suspension seats, possibly window nets, panels and tubing in strategic places to prevent limbs from coming out. I have vowed never to allow her to be hurt as a result of my hobby again. I still feel guilt beyond belief over what happened. In addition, its really made me rethink my overall approach to wheeling. It will never be the same to me again. If she ever got hurt again because of me I don't know how I could go on living. Conversely, I think about what life would be like for her if I got hurt. Would I feel good about becoming a quadraplegic and making her wipe my ass for the rest of my life? It seems to be everyone's mentality that they don't care what happens to themselves as long as their passengers are safe. But it goes both ways. I'd rather die than become a burden to my wife for the rest of her life.

My brother's buggy still has hard seats in it. I won't ride in it ... period. I will never ride in a buggy without shoulder harnesses, helmets, and suspension seats again. Despite how you feel about yourself, it is my opinion that a responsible father / husband would never ride unstrapped without a helmet either. Its about more than just yourself.

I am lazy. It is in my nature to skip the helmet or shoulder straps now and again. As much as I hate Jimmy's overbearing tendency to make wheeling into a competition, I am thankful for his block-headed insistence on demanding safety. He may have learned his lesson from my mistake but I know that in the future he will not allow me to forget the lesson learned even if I am stupid enough to try. I want my past to be an example to everyone of HOW NOT to do it and my future to be an example of HOW TO do it. I hope if I ever try to ride an obstacle without all possible safety equipment in place again that Jimmy absolutely berates me in front of everyone and makes me feel like absolute ****. If I know him, that's one thing I can count on. :)

Bottom line, I know Mr. Bacon knows that he made a mistake now. Just not sure he knows what the mistake was to begin with. The mistake was getting in ANYONE'S buggy without a helmet and shoulder straps in the first place. If Mr. Bacon feels I am rubbing it in I am sorry. However this post is directed toward everyone in general, not just the Bacons.

I am thankful that Mr. Bacon seems to be alright for the most part and hope he realizes how lucky he got.

J. J.

Talked to Mr. Bacon this weekend at Gray Rock. He seem to be in good . Said he was way in the wrong in doing what he done and learn a valuable lesson. Harness up !

Rescue1 said:
Talked to Mr. Bacon this weekend at Gray Rock. He seem to be in good . Said he was way in the wrong in doing what he done and learn a valuable lesson. Harness up !

AND HELMET UP! That's is what Jimmy is trying to say and I am agreeing with.

J. J.

I also talked to him and his sons and they are good people. He learned his lesson the hard way and I am sure you will see him wearing his harnesses from know on.
Lets quit beating a dead horse.

Don't like to be called Mr Bacon even tho I turned 47 yesterday.Most people just call me Big Tim.Harnesses are a must,helmets are optional,my opinion, it appears everbody has one.

wow i used to like this site thought it was actually one forum around where **** didnt get started... guess all you pricks are the same ones talkin **** on pirate...draggbody its a ****in pathetic shame that you dont even know some one and the first ****in post you put is bitchin about a ****in helmet .. yeah he admits his mistakes and learned from it ... and will wear harnessess ... but not one ****in time did your bitch ass mention a work about bein glad he was ok or anythng ..... love how you wanna preach to some one... and the helmet thing i thing is BS but to each his own... like they said they build the cage to protect the driver ... and for the driver... hell were all just glad hes fine and hope every one can learn from one persons mistake ... not bitch about a helmet...

so im a **** starter and you let your first post be about starting **** back up... im such a **** about wanting people to be safe, you are right... would i be a cool guy if i said **** safety, he;s a grown ****ing man and safety is for pussies.... if he wants to bash his skull, to each his own... if the man wants to kill his self than thats his choice, thats a real ****ing man, a man that will cause heart ache to his family over his own self image about how he looks wearing a helmet, yeah you are right...

you guys will understand one day, and i assure you that you will remember me, but at that point it could be to late...

454tbacon said:
Don't like to be called Mr Bacon even tho I turned 47 yesterday.Most people just call me Big Tim.Harnesses are a must,helmets are optional,my opinion, it appears everbody has one.

Well said! Now you would think that every one would get the picture about page TWO, but its obvious people can't let stuff go. Like I said before I'm sure he understands that he made a mistake, but leave it be and go ride instead of web wheeling and telling people what they already know. :driving:

At this point in time, I'm calling for an ALL OUT BAN of helmets on the trails of TN, AL, MS, GA.
Y'all support me, and I'm sure we can get this pushed through the municipalities and local parks.

You guys clearly have a major problem in those states, and I aim to help fix it. laughing1

[attachment deleted by admin]

InDaShop said:
At this point in time, I'm calling for an ALL OUT BAN of helmets on the trails of TN, AL, MS, GA.
Y'all support me, and I'm sure we can get this pushed through the municipalities and local parks.

You guys clearly have a major problem in those states, and I aim to help fix it. laughing1

They have "trails" in MS?

bigsilly said:
:flipoff1: Leave me out of this
you're absolulutely right Joel, I'm sorry MS, has been stereotyped as the southeast, its more like Lousiana's bitch playing the little spoon on the map with Lousiana all snuggled up putting it in your backside.

Sorry for stereotyping :ban: molaugh

Latest posts