• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Battery thread

ibrokeit said:
I may be stupid, but pretty sure that second battery isn't doing anything without something hooked to the negative terminal.
That's kinda been my thoughts on it.

Re: Re: Battery thread

ibrokeit said:
I may be stupid, but pretty sure that second battery isn't doing anything without something hooked to the negative terminal.
Correct. No ground no path for electron flow.

The second one did have a ground, just couldn't see it. It was on a side post and the seat had it hidden.

Brought the batteries up slowly, thru a regular battery. Thought they were good, but went to start it today and they were dead again. Looks like I will be getting an Odyssey or Exide soon.

Slight derail but what is the correct sequence for hooking in a second battery? Is it engine to 1st battery positive to 2nd battery positive and engine ground to 1st battery negative to 2nd battery negative? And how do you charge them? Charging unit to 1st battery positive and first battery negative? :dunno:

CHASMAN9 said:
Slight derail but what is the correct sequence for hooking in a second battery? Is it engine to 1st battery positive to 2nd battery positive and engine ground to 1st battery negative to 2nd battery negative? And how do you charge them? Charging unit to 1st battery positive and first battery negative? :dunno:
That's how mine was done. Main positive and negative to 1st battery, with jumpers to the second battery. Not sure if it's the correct way or not. Will be going to a single battery now.

Dan Dibble said:
This is the best bang for the buck right now. We have had good luck running a high amp stereo and winch. They are at Sams club.

standard.jpg

That is the exact batter I ran across while searching. Gonna pick one up from sams and try it out in my samurai.

I run a Perko switch on mine. Keeps them isolated when I want, and then in parallel if needed.

And for batteries, I typically go with one with a good warranty. I've had Optimas (before they sucked), AGMs, standards, etc. They have all failed, some early, some late. These days I want to make sure that if one fails early, I've got a warranty to change them out. My two boat batteries are Wal-mart specials. Haven't left me stranded in 4 years of loud tunes and a lot of abuse (even 2 winters with no trickle). If they fail this year, no biggie, warranty, and I'll change them out. If they make it another year or so, I'll be pleased. With new batteries these days, anything over 5 years with the abuse we put them through is good enough for me.

I just put two brand new O'reillys in my rig. 3 yr warranty. Only damn place I could find with my size/layout requirements.

The regional manager at my local oreilly told me no batt company is doing pro rated warranties anymore. They are all 3yr free replacement and that's it

He also said Walmart sets the market price on batteries for the whole country. He says anytime there's a price increase, wal mart went up first. He said it was wal mart who stopped the pro rated warranty. Then everyone in the country dropped it.

All very interesting. Nice old man. No clue if it's legit

ibrokeit said:
My wake boat has two insterstates. When I added the second, I went pos to pos and neg to neg. 2 seasons of no problems.

Good to hear this, that is the way mine is ran. If you charge the battery's, would you hook the positive to the first battery + and the negative to the second battery- post? :dunno:

CHASMAN9 said:
Good to hear this, that is the way mine is ran. If you charge the battery's, would you hook the positive to the first battery + and the negative to the second battery- post? :dunno:

Nope. Doesn't matter. I mean you could. Again, doesn't matter. As long as the + is on a + and thr - is on a - (or anywhere that's grounded if you want to get technical).

ibrokeit said:
Nope. Doesn't matter. I mean you could. Again, doesn't matter. As long as the + is on a + and free - is on a - (or anywhere that's grounded if you want to get technical)

Thanks, I have installed a second battery on my razor for the stereo system and do not want to blow it up.