• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best Cheap place to go Snowboarding

Jhouser

Planning a guys trip out west for this winter 2015. What's a good cheap place to go snowboarding? We have been to Steamboat, Breckenridge and Heavenly. I would go back to all three but we are just looking for something new. Any advice would be great.

Thanks, thumb.gif

Been to all of those myself and Winter Park. I like it better myself and always has good snow since its on North side of mtn. Always went at Thanksgiving and had god snow every year there when some of the others are hit and miss on snow.

I have looked at both of those but was unable to find a cheap Condo? Did you stay in a condo or hotel style room?

I'm a big fan of Loveland, CO and anything "pre-tunnel" like A-Basin and Eldora. Accommodations nearby aren't plentiful between Denver and the tunnel, but once you go through the tunnel to Summit, CO your options open up. I was able to manage a day at Loveland with a quick business trip to Denver back in February. If I had a multi day trip, I would probably crash in Frisco or Dillon then chase the storms if there are any. It kind of puts you dead center between the Front Range resorts and anything good that pops up in Summit and Eagle County.

Re: Re: Re: Best Cheap place to go Snowboarding

Jhouser said:
I have looked at both of those but was unable to find a cheap Condo? Did you stay in a condo or hotel style room?
Hotel style room. ...it was years ago tho

One of the best trips i ever went on we stayed at the Summit Inn in Frisco, Co, right off I-40, got the room cheap on hotwire iirc, and then hit Breck, Copper, Keystone, and A-Basin, all within 30 mins or so, awesome times

sledneck said:
You said cheap and snow related sports molaugh.

Bible...

I had to pay for a lift ticket and all my own gear for the first time in a decade this past year. FML. The industry may not pay its people all that well, but damn if we didn't get a bunch of awesome stuff for cheap/free.

i went to Vail and Copper Mt. back in 2009.
i liked Copper better for a few reasons, the way the mountains terrain is naturally it keeps people that are new to snow sports to one side of the place...the terrain from right to left goes from (easy to intermediate to more advanced...) which is great because you don't have people falling in front of you all of the time or camping out on the slope. another thing that copper has FREE parking and they have buses that drive you to the gate. that was one thing i hated about VAIL, they nickel and dime you to death...don't get me wrong Vail is unbelievable but they know it and they are going to charge you for it. Copper seamed more like a laid back place.

Look into the "Copper Mt. 4 pack".
They offer a deal were you can get 4 tickets to be used how ever you wish...(4 days for one person, 2 days for 2 people, 1 day for 4 people, how ever you want to use the 4 tickets, ect) i think you have to buy them before a certain date tho. i have been wanting to buy this package for a long time but all of my friends are gay and will never commit to the trip, and CO is not the type place you go to snowboard without making the best of it. hope this helps.

Wesley

angel fire and taos new mexico are great places to go we go every year first week of feb. its cheaper to stay at angle fire and drive over to taos (hour drive) check it out

Tahoe was pretty decent.

Went to Utah. Park city was lame. The two smaller places were much better, but we also got 12" of POW POW dropped on us overnight and got to make first tracks on it so that makes a big difference.

White Fish Montana is the shiznit but may be expensive to fly to. Its one of those not well known resorts that is awesome. We used a timeshare for there.

Heading to Whistler this winter to see what it is like.

ftoy516 said:
i went to Vail and Copper Mt. back in 2009.
i liked Copper better for a few reasons, the way the mountains terrain is naturally it keeps people that are new to snow sports to one side of the place...the terrain from right to left goes from (easy to intermediate to more advanced...) which is great because you don't have people falling in front of you all of the time or camping out on the slope. another thing that copper has FREE parking and they have buses that drive you to the gate. that was one thing i hated about VAIL, they nickel and dime you to death...don't get me wrong Vail is unbelievable but they know it and they are going to charge you for it. Copper seamed more like a laid back place.

Look into the "Copper Mt. 4 pack".
They offer a deal were you can get 4 tickets to be used how ever you wish...(4 days for one person, 2 days for 2 people, 1 day for 4 people, how ever you want to use the 4 tickets, ect) i think you have to buy them before a certain date tho. i have been wanting to buy this package for a long time but all of my friends are gay and will never commit to the trip, and CO is not the type place you go to snowboard without making the best of it. hope this helps.

Wesley

Thanks guys for all the Info. Wesley I am glad you brought up Copper this is one of the places I have been looking at but have been unable to find anyone that has been there. I like to stay at the Ski in Ski out condos. Also it will be a quick trip fly one day ski three fly home so the closer they are to an airport the better.

BustedKnucklefilms : You will have to let us know how Whistler is. That's one of my Wife's must take trips in the next 5 years.

Jhouser said:
BustedKnucklefilms : You will have to let us know how Whistler is. That's one of my Wife's must take trips in the next 5 years.

Ill let you know for sure. We went to Banff Canada last year and had a blast.

We used to go to copper every year for spring break. I loved it there. My uncle owned a few houses out there that we slways, stayed at.

Cataloochee is where its at in the SOUTH!! unless you plan a trip to Snowshoe, WV at the right time, but plan to stay for a few days to make it worth your while.

Cataloochee does a better job of all the southern ski areas of up dating their facility, they have put in some type of upgrade into the place for the last 5 or 6 years in a row. They have installed a ton of new snow making equipment over the past few year and for the 2014/2015 they are supposed to be putting in a new lift, moving a lift and cutting some new slopes (i say the word SLOPE loosely) if you have been out west you get what i mean...

And there snow making is the best around.
Last year or the year before we went on MARCH 31...MARCH 31!!! That week it snowed 2 different days. and i have been a number of times that it has snowed over 20inches, it is like being out west. If you watch the weather, and you can hit it when the right fronts is rolling in you will never believe that kind of snow is possible in the south! And most of the time they open earlier then the other southern ski areas because they have such quality snow making equipment. I have been before in October and they had 3/4 of the mountain open, you just have to watch the weather. They get some crazy weather there, you wouldn't think that, but at 5400 feet it is colder there then it is in other places in the south. If you have never been to Cataloochee it is worth checking out.

A-Basin, hands down catering to boarders before it was cool on any other mountains.
www.arapahoebasin.com

You can hit vail, copper, breck, beaver if you get bored of A-Basin, they are all pretty close to each other.

Latest posts