• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best Place To Get Crate 350?

ecsong187

Hey guys i just took the rig to get the new tranny in. now im lookin for a new engine. i dont have a lot of cash so im gonna go with a 350 and i have heard crate engines are pretty good? im lookin for the best price for one? anyone know of any places? any help is appreciated
thanks
edwin song

Shucks, carquest, napa, jasper, jegs, the list goes on and on! One thing to think about tho is you may want to spend alittle extra cash here since its the heart of your whole rig. . . . I would find one with a warranty a good one and call around first! I can't stress how important it is to know all the info before you dive into something like this. . . . I have had bad experience with crate motors unless i go for the performance crate motors(those are amazingly built well from Jegs) I personally choose everytime now to rip the motor out and apart myself send it out to be machined and then assemble it back myself!

I wouldn't reccomend a crate motor from schucks. i have hear alot of bad thing from people that have bought crate motors from them. I would reccomend summit racing

i will put down my vote for jasper engines, the shop that is across the parking lot from my work buys from them all the time, acctually its the only place the owner will buy an engine from and i think they have like a 2 year warranty if i remember right

summit, jasper, jegs are all going to be good. don't buy from napa or shucks... just my opinion. i order lots of stuff from summit, they have good customer service and fast shipping times (although i've never ordered a crate engine so i don't know about that shipping)

Just fyi, at Schucks if you are in Washington they order from 3 different builders, its up to you when you order. One that I remember dealing with when I worked there was Evergreen. So really its not Schucks building the motors, we simply act as the middle man.

The part with Schucks to be warry about is we didn't always have the best handling of motors. I remember one time a 350 long block sitting in the frieght room, and we had frieght coming in. well some moron (probably me) rather then being gentle with it grabbed it and slid it accorss the floor, well the plastic pallet it was on caught and the motor rolled off (not sure why it wasn't strapped down). well it busted one of the tranny mount holes off the back. What did we do? Threw it back on the pallet and pushed it into the commercial area and kept working. :rolleyes:

summit, jasper, jegs are all going to be good. don't buy from napa or shucks... just my opinion. i order lots of stuff from summit, they have good customer service and fast shipping times (although i've never ordered a crate engine so i don't know about that shipping)
x2 jasper engines are very good quality and come with a 20,000 mile warenty.. no questions asked.

my .02

Another vote for Jasper. We just started buying our engines from them and have installed two already this month. Great customer service and fast delivery so far plus a good warranty.

There is also this place in Kent, WA www.usengine.us they have an 8yr/80,000 mile warranty. there is some fine print to the warranty (like you have to mail them the warranty card and have proof of the first oil change and some little **** like that... it's on their website). I DO NOT know anything about the quality of their engines, i'm just throwing out a local company that i have come across before. maybe other people on here can give more feedback on U.S. Engines.

bowtie performance on Lake Tapps.. His warranty isn't quite as long as the others. But the price is a lot better, and he's a real good engine builder. Can build you anything you want from basic to built.

I'd skip the whole crate thing and just buy an LS1 out of a wrecked car though.. But that's just me =)

US ENgine is crap.

Jasper is great but $$$. I've had REALLY good luck /w MotorWorks out of Spokane.

J
Yea US(KP also)IMO is crap, we install Evergreen Engines at my shop and have done so for more than 7 years now with no failures. Jasper engines are good quality but much more money.

I'd say summit or the gm parts garage they probably aren't the cheapest but I'd trust them more

bowtie performance on Lake Tapps.. His warranty isn't quite as long as the others. But the price is a lot better, and he's a real good engine builder. Can build you anything you want from basic to built.

I'd skip the whole crate thing and just buy an LS1 out of a wrecked car though.. But that's just me =)

Bad very bad idea. he built the 454 for my MH and they fawked up the thrust on the crank.Since the motor sat for a year before being installed he wouldnt honor his warranty on it. So I had to pay another shop to rebuild it again:mad:

Bad very bad idea. he built the 454 for my MH and they fawked up the thrust on the crank.Since the motor sat for a year before being installed he wouldnt honor his warranty on it. So I had to pay another shop to rebuild it again:mad:

that's kinda odd. He told me the warranty didn't start untill it was in the rig and running. He built the 454 for my Dad's boat as well and it works great. Maybe his helping hand wasn't quite up to the task. I know his engine was one of the best in the car he sponsored for vintage modified. He won first place year after year.. That sucks that happened. Wish I would have known ya at the time.