• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Box trucks

Before you jump into an FL70, think about working on/maintaining a large truck.

I like the idea of a truck with a sleeper and a box. The reality for me is, I don't have the tools to perform basic work like changing a tire on a rig that size. I presume most don't. I don't know anything about air brakes and would rather not mess with them. Something in the f550 or Kodiak size range would probably be workable for most folks.

My buddy drove to Harlan in his FL70 and had some issues on the way down. Ended up being a $3000 bill to replace most of the cooling system on the truck, and he got lucky to catch the guys at the shop (shortly after they closed) to even have someone to help him. No running to the corner auto parts store for such items. It was a bad ass hauler though.

the good thing about these rigs is that you don't have to work on them much

I get the oil changed once a year
you'll never wear the tires out if you start with good ones and keep the sun off them
Brake pads and shoes and drums will last the rest of the trucks life - again start off good

sure you'll have little issues of an old truck but that's part of everything. Rv/camper/trailer you've got to maintain it.

TBItoy said:
I was reading some recent threads about the trucks they currently have for sale (00-01 GM C5500/6500s)

Apparently they will take cash offers of significantly less than asking price also.

How much is significant?

measure width if you are putting a rig in it

also check out the contraption of a parking brake they have on the back of the trans
there have been issues with them holding on steep grades