• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Broken hubs

dobber

On my rig I break hubs, D60 35sp warn premium hubs. I have chromoly axles, longfield joints, 5.13 gear brand unknown, arb locker and run Toyota and 1310 driveline joints. I have not had any other problems with those parts, only the warn hubs.

So my question is, any others with same situation end up switching to Yukon hubs or drive flanges and then start breaking other parts?

Only reason I have not upgraded to something stronger is hubs are my weakest link and the easiest quickest things to swap out, and can keep a drive flange on rig for a trail break. When I had Toyota axles I had everything upgraded and my ring/pinion was the weakest link and that was a pain and don't want to end up there again.

Something is always the weakest link. Think of it as protection. What do you want to change the most of? But 200 dollar warn hubs after every other outing could get old fast.

By the way, got any of those broken hubs laying around? I need to fix mine on the superduty. The internals are good, but the springs are screwed up.

The 30 spline hubs are stronger since there is more material in the piece the stub goes into than on the 35 spline version. Going to an old set of spicer hubs with lock gears broached or EDM wired to 35 spline is the strongest solution for the money. The dynatrack hubs are designed after the spicer hubs I mentioned.

I have broken a few sets too. The 35 spline shafts rub on the dial and slightly unlock the hub, causing the splines to strip because they are not fully engaged. The end of the shaft can be ground or machined slightly. Or switch to Dynatrac/Yukon/Spicer hubs.

I run a 60 very similiar to yours, Dobber, and went to the Yukons from the Warns this spring. Besides the engaging system and the pure beef of the parts, the tolerances on the Yukons are TIGHT. They're tight to the point that the were kind've a pain in the ass to install the first time and the dials were a little hard to turn. If that's part of the trade off for a strong hub, I'm fine with it. In my opinion there's not another hub on the market (except for the Dynatrac$) that compare.

Last edited:
First one just broke the clutch ring, second one the clutch ring and cracked the hub body, this one broke clutch ring, broke hub body and racked hub gear. Have not striped any spline. Alrealready trimmed the ends of axles because they were rubbing and when I broke a in my drive flange caps wouldn't go on.

Guys running yukons, are you breaking other parts? Axles, gears, ujoints?

I'm thinking of trying yukons, or trying my dive flanges full time and see what it break.

Here is my last one

View attachment 56692

Last edited:
Guys running yukons, are you breaking other parts? Axles, gears, ujoints?

I'm running 35sp chromo outers, Yukon inners, Spicer non serviceable joints, and a Detroit. Haven't broken anything yet but I haven't had a chance to beat on it, what I'd consider, really hard. There's been some high speed romps and a couple jumps landing on the front with the throttle down with no issues. I won't have a chance to really bind it up in the rocks until July though.