• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

buggy idea possible build maybe???

jeeptj99

So I have been rolling this idea over in my head now for probalby close to a year and half maybe even 2 years now hell who knows. The idea would be to make a buggy similar to the Flea that Mike Poe runs (black and orange with a turbo 4 banger) but do it a little different.

For starters instead of a 4 banger I have thought about using a 4.0 out of a Jeep, heres my thoughts on that. They are cheap you could get one at about any junkyard, they are tough as nails, and they have decent power/torque in their stock configuration.

Axles i would use something like HP44 or kingpin 60's depending on what i found in the junkyard or craigslist. Ever since watching JohnG at Morris Mtn destroy V knotch and the rock garden i've watned a rear steer buggy.

suspension would be TJ coil springs like the Flea because of how well they seem to flex and easy to come by.

tires i would run 40" or 42"
trans and tcase is still undecided

This would be a backyard build so it wouldnt be anything as fancy as some of the rigs on here. Does anyone see anything wrong with this idea? This would be my first buggy as well as my first full on build. Do i seem to be on the right track? This isnt going to be a bouncer so i dont need 900 hp.

It'd work, but my issue with that setup would be the power to weight ratio of the 4.0. Not to mention the size of them. There's quite a few 4 banger options that will easily compete with a 4.0 and be much easier to package in the type of buggy you're talking about.

Re:

So a regular buggy circa 2005?

Should work fine.

Back before everyone thought they needed coilovers, jeep coils and white shocks made it up a lot of rocks...

I rock an inline 4.0, 1 tons, 39-40" tires, 5.13s. I'm fine with the power and they sound pretty cool, but I wish it is was a v6. These are long/bulky set ups. They are tough though.
Also, in terms of axle choice, the Dana 44 u joints are a massive down fall. Even with RCV's you have some small ball joints. I am intrigued to build myself a light weight buggy using a hp44/9" set up, but Ive been down that road (minus RCVs) and it has failed me.

Re:

TBItoy said:
So a regular buggy circa 2005?

Should work fine.

Back before everyone thought they needed coilovers, jeep coils and white shocks made it up a lot of rocks...

Exactly! I watched Mike (the Flea buggy) drive all over AOP and a guy in a big block buggy with coilovers and everything couldnt do it. I hadnt thought about the v6 i was just thinking about price and how easy 4.0 were to come by.

clemsonjeep said:
It'd work, but my issue with that setup would be the power to weight ratio of the 4.0. Not to mention the size of them. There's quite a few 4 banger options that will easily compete with a 4.0 and be much easier to package in the type of buggy you're talking about.
What 4 cylinders (NA) would be a good choice? 225 ft lbs torque isn't too shabby for the 4.0, but I think the OP and myself would be interested in the info.

4.0 jeep motor is unbreakable with an AW4 and a ford 205. ford balljoint 60 with 10.25 is the axles i rum with 42s. On the rev limiter for 2 years i wouldnt have it any other way!!! its always up to the task to follow any V8 buggy.

Isn't the Jeep 4.0 as heavy as a SBC? I read that somewhere. If so, might as well just get a V8. I thoght the reason Flea did so well was because of its light weight.

Pretty much any Ecotec 4-cyl will rival a 4.0 in stock form. With a few small mods they'll blow the door off the 4.0. They weigh a little over 200 lbs.

Re: Re: buggy idea possible build maybe???

nhl_bullitt said:
What 4 cylinders (NA) would be a good choice? 225 ft lbs torque isn't too shabby for the 4.0, but I think the OP and myself would be interested in the info.

Gm Atlas 4 and 5 cyl from a Colorado/canyon. They have a standard "SBC/LS" bell housing pattern and the same software/hardware to tune as LS motors.

Or a Toyota 3rz.

patooyee said:
Isn't the Jeep 4.0 as heavy as a SBC? I read that somewhere. If so, might as well just get a V8.
This is true. In my research to do a LS swap for the woman's TJ I read it would lose 100 pounds!
I ran a 4.0 with rockwells for years and it was bulletproof. Lacked 2nd gear power but went great. And I love the sound of a 4.0 with flowmasters.

I'm open for ideas on pretty much everything. The only reason i was talking 4.0 was because they are everywhere. I want to keep this small and light but still have enough power to go if needed. My only beef with the Flea is sometimes it doesnt have enough power to get the wheels spinning fast enough to get going. Thats the only thing bad i can say about that buggy.

Re:

Most 6 cyl iron block engines are within a few pounds of a ls type v8 (and aluminum bock "real" ls motors are usually lighter).

Toyota 3.4 are the same way, heavy and big (dohc) and 200hp.

lexus v8 1uz-fe all aluminum 32 valve, 250hp, designed for low to mid range torque curve, can be made to fit an aw4 without adapter plates

cons
no aftermarket support
ecu's have to be rebuilt ( replace capacitors)

Re: Re: buggy idea possible build maybe???

84mallcrawl said:
lexus v8 1uz-fe all aluminum 32 valve, 250hp, designed for low to mid range torque curve, can be made to fit an aw4 without adapter plates

cons
no aftermarket support
ecu's have to be rebuilt ( replace capacitors)
If you gave me the choice of running a 5.3 "LS" motor, or getting a 1uz for completely free, I'd gladly pay for the 5.3.

What is the ideal weight of a light buggy? The Flea if i remember Mike correctly is right at 1600 lbs maybe??? I know it's under a ton. What really classifiys a "light buggy"?

Drivetrain is where you are going to save some serious weight.

Turbo 1.3 or 1.6 zuki engine on pane, Zuki trans, Geared Zuki case.
FJ80 non e-locker Axles stuffed with RCV Shafts in the front probably welded or spooled.