• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Calhoun county news

bad80cj

I just watch the news regarding a presidential decision to remove the 2 armored vehicles from the police and or sheriff's depart. The local news showed a small clip on it. No real reason other than it was an executive decision made by the President. Anyone know anything?

I remember over a year ago they were talking about removing "military hardware" from local police departments. Might be an extension of that

I have mixed feelings about this honestly.

On the one hand, what in the heck does the county need with a couple of armored personnel carriers? I mean, Amerson talks about losing the "public outreach tools"...ok, well, can you still do your job? Yes? Ok carry on. You signed the contract saying Uncle Sam could do what he just did so why are you upset?

On the other hand, what made Obama feel like Calhoun County Alabama was a good place to start this? Makes one wonder.

As far as the HMMWV's, they are soft backs (or at least the ones I've seen them with are, as best I recall) and he is absolutely correct that they are useful as patrol vehicles during the snow and ice storms. Anniston has a few as well. I wonder if their contract is similar? I see no issue with local government possessing them. They are not equipped with armor or weapons. They are simply heavy duty transport vehicles that make it so the police can do their jobs even in adverse weather conditions. Lord knows the Chargers and the aging crown Vic's are not what I want to be in this winter when El Niño dumps a bunch of snow and ice on us.

It was on the morning news again this morning. They claim Ofuckup made this decision after what happened in fegeson. I am not gonna lie this boils my blood.

TacomaJD said:
I can't help but feel like we are, and have been, entering into a slow and steady decline to subdue to tyranny.

i dont think it's slow anymore. Syrians coming in thousands, "gun control", and a president that has signed more executive orders than all the others combined makes rights go out the window quick.

I used to be employed by the local police department where I live. We had an armored APC. It was one of those gov deals where it was donated. It's never been used except for training. We also had a Humvee that never hardly moved either. My knowledge of the APC was that it's only use would be for protection in the event that someone was held up inside a building, bank, etc. I guess it's more of a nice to know you have it if you need it deal than something used regularly. There has been a huge push in the last couple years to de-militarize police. I think it's just a step in the process with all the heat officers are getting in recent times.

Sent from the mans IPhone.

Another move toward marshal law. Gonna have to eventually fight for our freedom AGAIN or lose it forever. Eventually coming sooner than later.

:stir:
44BRAND said:
Another move toward marshal law. Gonna have to eventually fight for our freedom AGAIN or lose it forever. Eventually coming sooner than later.

That can be argued both ways. Not too long ago, everyone was up in arms about the fact that our local law enforcement agencies were becoming more and more militarized. Seems like we can't be happy regardless. I am not opposed to the idea that our local governments should not have tanks. Would you support them having a howitzer? Presumably, no, right? Ok, so where do we draw that line?

http://www.annistonstar.com/news/oxford/do-police-need-military-gear/article_eca5566e-1cb7-5403-9b62-8a45884e5f7a.html

"There is no need for every officer to have access to a military-type assault rifle. Even the sheriff admits this is "a little spooky." There is no need to have public funds wasted on the repair, maintenance and storage of all this excess equipment that is questionable as to its actual need."

The sheriff quoted is the same sheriff in office now.

Here is a little more background on the program.

http://www.annistonstar.com/news/oxford/federal-program-lets-police-agencies-add-equipment-and-vehicles-at/article_ab3ffeb0-9103-5e75-8a0f-a51641781c66.html

In Vegas, LVMP (metro police) had an MRAP. Saw it running down the road quite a few times. I see no reason for them to need that big ****er!

Read the article this morning and it doesn't matter to me either way but it definetly was an asset for the sheriffs department as far as being able to go into a gun fire zone and pickup wounded or drop off officers. I am sure there are many other uses but that is more or less what it was designed to do.

highrange said:
Read the article this morning and it doesn't matter to me either way but it definetly was an asset for the sheriffs department as far as being able to go into a gun fire zone and pickup wounded or drop off officers. I am sure there are many other uses but that is more or less what it was designed to do.

This is more of my thoughts. Also about the "military style assault rifles"... Everyone said the same thing until those bank robbers in California came out armored and out gunning the police. The local police had to literally rob a gun store to have the firepower. There are bad apples in every group, but if properly trained, I would rather the local police have the tools needed and never use them than fall short when it really matters. I honestly don't trust our government one bit..... Both parties for that matter.

I know several local officers. I want these guys to have they guns and equipment they need to feel comfortable doing their job. They are way underpaid for what they do. These are people that have the same view points and many of us. I am glad to have these people protecting and serving community.

kmcminn said:
I know several local officers. I want these guys to have they guns and equipment they need to feel comfortable doing their job. They are way underpaid for what they do. These are people that have the same view points and many of us. I am glad to have these people protecting and serving community.

This is also my way of thinking. I have a hard time grasping how taking away said vehicles help protect the public.

bad80cj said:
This is also my way of thinking. I have a hard time grasping how taking away said vehicles help protect the public.

Well, some people believe we are headed toward a police state. In that particular case, the less armed the local police are, the better off the Patriots will be. With that being said, I feel that we have much more to fear from Big Brother than we do from the Calhoun County sheriff's department.

I don't feel any more or less safe with them having taken the APC's away. I do not fully endorse our local police department being heavily militarized. I don't think that is a role that local law enforcement should fill.

With that being said, I am absolutely a supporter of law enforcement. They are overworked and underpaid. I've seen it first hand. I have the utmost respect for those guys. I also don't agree with some of the policies in place. I am glad that Calhoun County has a plethora of M-16's. Maybe they should share some of them with Anniston. Those guys have to buy their own if they want to carry them which is garbage. It's also tough to do with what they get paid.

Despite my feelings, it's important to note that nothing was passed saying they couldn't utilize that type of vehicle. The federal government simply decided to exercise a part of the contract that the local government agreed to when they took possession of that equipment. They are free to buy APC's outright if they feel they need them.

I would definitely be interested to know why Obama started with Calhoun county, Alabama for this demil campaign. If anyone sees anything about that, let's hear it.

I agree on all points you stated. But I see us leaving billions of dollars worth of equipment over seas. Why start taking away from a small town? Seams like throwing money in the wind for no real reason by taking them back. Leave them be and stop wasting money on stupid **** like this. Yes I know it's a drop in the bucket but.....

Could it be because the governor of Alabama was,I think, the second governor to "refuse" any refugees or "Muslims" as we know them. Is obama slapping that hand and saying I'll take this back. Nit picky it would be and childish but It would not surprise me. And yes I know this is such a small thought when compared to all that is on the table. Does anyone know across the state of Alabama if it is happening any where else? Drew I agree with u as to the sheriffs dept here in Calhoun county,very thankful for what they do and I have no complaints at all, but Anniston is screwed with all the **** they have to deal with

It absolutely could be a result of that decision by governor Bentley. It wouldn't surprise me at all. And despite anniston's recent troubles within the department, I can tell you with 100% certainty that those men and women on the force believe in what they do every day. I know the majority of them and call a few of them friends. Those who actually know me know that isn't a word I just toss around. I have tons of acquaintances but a handful of friends.

While I can assure you that the decision was politically motivated, if it is, in fact, related to the refugee situation I find that even more distasteful. I'll absolutely go on record saying I support governor Bentley in his refusal of them folks. They shouldn't be in America. I definitely don't want them in the Heart of Dixie.