• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chevy 6.0L Water Pump

tobyw

2006 Silverado 1500HD, 6.0L V8, ~65k miles

Found a damp spot under the truck over the weekend, looks to be coolant. Crawling all over the topside of the engine, I can't find a damn thing. The bottom side shows minimal signs of a leak from somewhere up front, mostly caught between the ribs of the electrical wiring loom and a droplet formed on one of the oil pan bolts. Crossmember is wet, and that appears to be the location of the drip, ie the lowest point...

After some brief Google research, it sounds like the water pump gaskets are prone to failure on the LSX series motors, even though I really can't see much to pinpoint that as my source. Anyone put a water pump/gaskets on theirs that would like to share any tips before I dive in?

I do them fairly regularly at the shop. The gaskets do fail but not as often as the pump. Factory gasket is silcone o-ring in a metal frame. The last couple of pumps I have done have come with fiber gaskets.

The job is really straight forward. Fan shroud is 2 peice and comes apart easily. Idler and tensioner are bolted to the pump and need to be removed. Thermostat is installed into pump housing and I usually replace them as I hate comebacks. Fan clutch is right hand thread. 6 bolts hold it to the block. Normal coolant bleed procedure (fill it, run it, and top it off).

Hardest part of the job is getting the fan clutch off without the right tool.

I second the fan clutch tool. Did mine and autozone/schmucks didnt have the GM tool. Was a pain on the ass without it. The rest was straight forward.

Book time is like 2.3 hours IIRC, my tech can knock 'em out in an hour or so. They're fairly simple WITH the right tools, that fan clutch tool like stated above being the most important one.

John

A good Constant-tension hose clamp tool helps speed the job up too...Fan clutch tool too, but can be done with proper placement of a screwdriver between the fan clutch nut and a water pump pulley bolt, and the right size wrench...

on an unrelated note whats a water pump costing , I could only get a new one for an 07 and it was $300 bucks ,

I was hoping for one much cheaper like the old small block chev at around 50-75 bucks for a re man :redneck:

on an unrelated note whats a water pump costing , I could only get a new one for an 07 and it was $300 bucks ,

I was hoping for one much cheaper like the old small block chev at around 50-75 bucks for a re man :redneck:

New retail is probably $150-200-ish. Do NOT do a reman.

The remanufactured pumps are junk. Do you really want to do the job twice? Just buy a new pump.

Actually, I don't even want to do the job once :haha: I was just wondering what your thought process was behind the statement. Truthfully, I've had pretty good luck with reman parts, but at the same time I'm just a shadetree wrench on my own junk - I certainly don't see volumes of rigs day in and day out. I appreciate your input, and I'll go with a new unit. :beer: